• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If izzy is on the wing and Barnes is fullback, who so you think they will kicking to? :(

Well, that doesn't necessarily matter. The kick receiver usually passes to the support on field position kicks. It's bombs where it becomes more important, but if the Lions start aiming bombs at receivers instead of the pocket then we already have a considerable advantage.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not if it's a set play like the All Blacks used to do to James O'Connor. The only time it would be disadvantageous to throw a bomb up to a weak receiver would be if the chase line wasn't ready.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If it's not a contested kick, invariably the person who catches the ball passes immediately to a support player in the back three.

By your logic, you'd want them to be kicking at Barnes so he passes to Folau or Cummins.

I think you are forgetting how many good counter attacking opportunities Barnes kicked away when he played fullback for the wallabies (hence why I wrote 'running' and not running).

I agree with the sentiment though, as long as Barnes isn't in conservative mode.

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
Just watched the third test of 2001 series on ESPN here in the UK, Googy Harrison, on debut, was immense.It seems though that these days we cannot risk a debutant against the Lions(4th best team in the world!!) I fly home Wednesday for first 2 tests , risking divorce,with an edginess best attributed to lack of control I suppose. In 40 years of playing,coaching and supporting the Wallabies the team has for the most part picked itself and the playing style has followed.Always 2 or 3 players debated over but nothing too dramatic and the best team won, c'est la vie. But with this loon in charge who knows what you're going to get(well you sort of do which makes it worse). I forked out for the plane ticket based on the the form of the super 15 players and teams, with the blind optimism that this would automatically flow on to the Wallabies(as it should??)but not so sure..James at 10 reminds me too much of the Tim Horan experience there and surely by this stage of his career he shold have cemented himself as the worlds premier number 12??(injuries aside)And ffs any coach worth his salt would have young Kyle playing,he would brain them,the unknown quantity with the confidence of youth and a normal haircut to boot,he will be a superstar.A shame he will not be allowed to introduce himself on the Lions stage and his coach denied him the chance at the Force.Enough negativity(have spent too much time reading this forum!). How can the Wallabies win and Deans still lose his job,there must be a cunning plan..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
'/...snip./.. I fly home Wednesday for first 2 tests , risking divorce, ./..snip../ .

How can the Wallabies win and Deans still lose his job,there must be a cunning plan

If there is a risk of divorce, you're better off without her. It won't get any better. Excise the cancer.:)

Your last sentence is the dilemma we face.

Nobody wants the Wobs to lose.

Many want to see Dingo go.

Many see the only way that this will only happen is if the Wobs lose.

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
If there is a risk of divorce, you're better off without her. It won't get any better. Excise the cancer.:)

Your last sentence is the dilemma we face.

Nobody wants the Wobs to lose.

Many want to see Dingo go.

Many see the only way that this will only happen is if the Wobs lose.
No she's a keeper, just exaggerate for affect, her Dad landed in Italy in '44 as a 19 year tank commander,went on post war rugby tours to Hamburg w lots of great stories,she knows the score!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
rotary hoe, Unfortunately, like many of his generation, my Dad took many of his war stories to his grave. The family have only the most scant details of his experiences and activities during the war years.

I hope your family have managed to keep some of his stories recorded for the family history to pass down to the young folk.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
I think what the Lions are going to throw at us is the massive question. I have said my piece on the issues and the improvements I think could happen in the backs so will leave that alone though the balance is a real concern for me.

The forwards is going to be a big guessing game. I think the Lions tight five is locked in. In my view as this.

1/ Corbisero
2/ Youngs
3/ Jones
4/ O'Connel
5/ Grey
19/ Parling

This back row could go anywhere. I wouldn't mind betting that Warberton or O'Brian will play 6. I would pick Gill in a heartbeat if this was the case. I suspect we will be looking for size and possibly be heading for an ambush. I know Palu gets the love on this site but Mowen just may be the better option at eight. Forget any thoughts of him as a potential lineout caller as it is just to much load for a debut player when he needs to be focussing on his game. MMM at six for me as this is where the Lineout calling could come from. In that event you could partner Douglas with Kev without disturbing the balance of the pack. Of the cattle we have in the squad the best pack in my opinion is.

1/ Fat Cat
2/ Moore
3/ Slipper
4/ Douglas
5/ Kev
6/ MMM
7/ Gill
8/ Mowen

In that pack I see a good balance of abbraisivness, work rate and mobility. The set piece should be stong and the lineout not neglected with for genuine Jumping options and a part time option in Gill plus it the inclusion of a test experienced caller.

You have nailed the wallaby pack ....given injuries and all I would love to see those 8 as our run on pigs.... Only question mark would be mmm's fitness and maybe he might seagull on the blind too much as he did against the tahs last weekend. As he tries to work his way back to shape. I think the balance of those 8 is what we need against Leo the lion and his 15 orphans!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't see MMM starting the first test, he is short of a gallop and returning from injury, he'll start from the bench

I agree with this. Given that Dennis is playing for the Tahs this weekend it is very hard to see anyone but Mowen starting at 6 in the first test.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He has to be, one mistake early on when that kick didn't go out but the rest of his performance was just on another level from most of the guys in that match. Looked totally composed with the ball in hand and generally took the right option. Really mature performance - he wound the clock back a bit.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
yeah that is probably fair, certainly by Drew 2010 standards. Unbelievable how good he was before that injury, World XV stuff. He has been building this year though I think, so it was on the cards his class would show when a big game was up.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If he manages to get back to his old self playing in France that will be a huge loss for Australian rugby. Even last night though he still looked lacking in terms of the pace he used to have. When he would turn on the turbos and start squirting through gaps that literally weren't there it really was a sight to behold.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If he manages to get back to his old self playing in France that will be a huge loss for Australian rugby. Even last night though he still looked lacking in terms of the pace he used to have. When he would turn on the turbos and start squirting through gaps that literally weren't there it really was a sight to behold.

Just before his hamstring tears open again. Unfortunately, I think France is the right move for Shmoo.

So with all these pussy wingers breaking their nails or toes or whatever, who is left? Barnes fullback, Folau and Honey Badger wings?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.