• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies have a drinking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Would have been a much bigger statement if he'd stood them down for the Ireland game. Surely the players stood down just think 'Meh, it's only Scotland".

May have shot himself in the foot here - the players know they were still selected for Ireland as they were too important to be dropped - regardless of any smoke and mirrors portrayed by the coaching team.

Looks like team culture is still an issue - you guys must be pretty bloody disappointed.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Whass sa matta wif dopi drnk booze,itz gud stuff fer the playe fellares blokes.Getta like like life.'When Iriss iyes r smil:). Ah fuget it,

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Honestly as a senior player ACC is utterly useless, totally selfish. Other than that looks to me like the bench decided to kick on and go hard, dumb move lads, respect your team and your selves.

Frankly I'm looking forward to seeing how we go without AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)… I don’t think he will be missed, pissed or sober…

Maybe ease back on the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hate a bit there. You have been psuhing that barrow a bit too hard lately.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Think about the context of events as well, people were upset when a "sober" KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) were at a burger joint at 2am in the days prior to a test match, now you have some senior players drinking alcohol and presumably getting drunk in the days prior to a test. Links hand was forced

;)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Would have been a much bigger statement if he'd stood them down for the Ireland game. Surely the players stood down just think 'Meh, it's only Scotland".

May have shot himself in the foot here - the players know they were still selected for Ireland as they were too important to be dropped - regardless of any smoke and mirrors portrayed by the coaching team.

Looks like team culture is still an issue - you guys must be pretty bloody disappointed.
- disappointed it happened
- its been dealt with appropriately, I am betting all and sundry in the Wallabies will move on. Most of the players involved seem to be generally pretty positive with regards to their contribution to team culture
- I doubt there has every been a test player ever who has missed a test and said 'Meh, its only .....' (not to mention that we are currently Scotland's bunnies)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Someone posted a timeline of what happened and Link's quotes. But he and the leadership group didn't find out until Wednesday afternoon. Then they have to do a complete investigation of what happened, who was involved, who drank how much etc. That takes time and wouldn't have finished until Thursday evening/Friday.

By then, the team has already been announced and submitted to the IRB/whoever it goes to and it was too late. I can't fault him to be honest, there wasn't enough time to take appropriate action before the game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
agree with most re the inappropritness of a big drink 4 days out from an important (or not) test match. The drink should have been on Sat night after the win against Italy.

agree with how Link has handled the matter.

Think the comments re AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have been very harsh (but his brother is a dill for posting anything in relation to the events)

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Adam Ashley-Cooper's mum says Wallabies star wasn't drinking excessively
THE mother of banned Wallabies back Adam Ashley-Cooper has jumped to the defence of her son who was one of six players suspended by Australian coach Ewen McKenzie for a late night out in Dublin last week.
Karen Ashley-Cooper told Brisbane radio station Triple M that her son was "being made an example of'' by being suspended for one week along with Nick Cummins, Benn Robinson, Liam Gill, Paddy Ryan and Tatafu Polota-Nau.
Nine more players received a warning for being out despite the Wallabies not having a curfew or booze-ban in place during their European spring tour.
"These players are now being made an example of, but because Adam's the most senior player, they're coming down on him the hardest,'' she said.

Read More: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
I was going to be critical of the players until I read "how to be an Australian" Fitzsimons in the SMH taking that view. I am now compelled to take the opposite view. Is it possible for anyone to get him to shut up, even for a while?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

I think mum explains quite succinctly why AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been dealt with so harshly. He may not wear the captain's armband, but he's a team leader and being present while others get rowdy makes him complicit.

Let the young blokes play on Saturday and pray like hell they don't lose.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think mum explains quite succinctly why AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been dealt with so harshly. He may not wear the captain's armband, but he's a team leader and being present while others get rowdy makes him complicit.

Let the young blokes play on Saturday and pray like hell they don't lose.

She did say that, another thing the snippets are missing is that she says he was actually banned for missing the team's 12pm curfew.

Which is still fair enough IMO. The need for professional athletes to get their 9 or even 10 hours a day is well documented in current sports science.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
yeah she isnt saying he shouldnt be banned he is happy to cop the ban for missing the curfew but being branded a alchy doesnt sit well with him as he said drink had nothing to do with it.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Ahhh. Yes, the boozer tag wouldn't sit well if he wasn't the one acting up. Regardless, the team's most experienced player should be expected to be responsible in those circumstances.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Aside from being a team leader (or at least one of the more experienced players that should lead by example) AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was also in the run on side, unlike the other players (cummins aside).

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Maybe ease back on the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hate a bit there. You have been psuhing that barrow a bit too hard lately.

Why, its a rugby blog site... I dont think I'm wrong, thats my opinion... no need to run to his defence... I dont hate the guy thats silly jeez... just commenting on his Wallabies team work.... relax...

Status
Not open for further replies.