• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies have a drinking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Oh dear, his mum. I wonder if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is cringing.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Meh, I think it's just RUPA wanting to beat their chest a little and make a point...

I suspect the Wallabies players were pretty accepting of the punishments, especially under Link. He seems to be the kind of bloke that would command a heap of respect so I doubt the guys will be questioning the decision.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If you're a journo and you get told that the boys were banned for having too big of a night at the pub you're not penning the headline as "6 Wallabies banned for missing their bedtime" are you?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Where it would hurt the players not playing this Saturday, is in the hip pocket. They miss out on their $14,000 match payment fee.:oops:

From what Ive heard over the past few tours the whole group share the total bucks (of the tour) equally irrespective of whether they actually play bench or sit in the stands - something about being a team of 30

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
From what Ive heard over the past few tours the whole group share the total bucks (of the tour) equally irrespective of whether they actually play bench or sit in the stands - something about being a team of 30

You see, that's the stuff the media doesn't tell you about. Great stuff.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some quotes from Link:

"I've always said you play the game, you celebrate the win, nothing changes there, but during the week we're not drinking, and we're not out past midnight, simple as that," McKenzie said.

"In the end if that's too big a sacrifice for people, then they're in the wrong business, go and do something else.

"I am not running social tours of Europe.

"We're here in a high-performance environment, we're trying to win Test matches.

"I'm not going to treat them like kids, they get paid enough money, they're employed to do a job.

"And that's demeaning to say they're employed, they're actually given the privilege of being a Wallaby.

"With that comes responsibility. This business is about making sacrifices, it's not about going on a Contiki tour of countries.

"It's about making sacrifices, it's actually a profession for them but they're passionate about it in the end, as I am.

"This is not a club trip.

"Sure, alcohol has to exist in society, so we're saying 'After the game, enjoy a win'.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Does anyone else feel like the goal post were moved on the players?

There wasnt a curfew no booze ban the night before a free day.

Link didnt like what happened and he put his foot down and now has all these new rules in place addressing behaviour that wasnt really outside the rules yet the players have been punished for it?

I have no issues with rules and when someone breaks them they face the punishment but i do have an issue with thinks like "there was no curfew or drinking ban but hthe players should know better"

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think hard & fast rules need to, or should, replace common sense and in my opinion the players failed to show common sense.

Everyone's saying Wednesday was a rest day, but the purpose of the 'rest' day is to recover from Monday & Tuesday training sessions, get massage, Physio, rehydrate & refuel. It's the busiest day for team physios, doctors, and massage staff for this reason. Often professional teams call it 'regen day' (regeneration), not a day off. Starting the regen day dehydrated & sleep deprived surely puts you behind where you should be for the real match prep starting on the Thursday.

And there were players who DIDN'T go out and get pissed. Clearly some players understood the standards that were set.

T

Train Without a Station

It's concerning the number of people who between this site and The Roar don't understand the concept of a "rest day" in a professional sporting environment. The amount of people who have said something along the lines of "what's the big issue, they had the day off" are obviously completely ignorant of the fact that the rest day is planned for recovery, and alcohol significantly impedes recovery.

Beyond the comments regarding AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), does anybody else find the fact that Benn Robinson and TPN were 2 of the main offenders in this case quite concerning. One was preparing for their first game back after a significant run of injuries, whilst the other was dropped for either attitude or form reasons and really should be pushing to regain his starting jersey. Considering these are 2 very senior players within the team.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I get what ur saying i just feel the waters are abit murky.

Its not like there was 2 maybe 3 players out on the piss there were 15 players involved so from the outside looking in it seems there was a misunderstanding of what was expected.

Are these players paying the price for past players indiscretions?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

T

Train Without a Station

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...ayward-wallabies/story-fndptke0-1226763574024

Link's quotes in this story don't seem too murky. They seem to present a pretty clear and succinct idea of what they are.

If he's making things up on the fly, he's put together a bit of thought about it before he's spoken to the media at least.

To me it seems like these players are paying the price for not showing the utmost professionalism that would be expect of a team attempting to arrest their below 50% win record for 2013 and challenge a team that is 100% for the same period. Link gave them the freedom to show that on their own. They haven't.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone else feel like the goal post were moved on the players?

No.

There wasnt a curfew no booze ban the night before a free day.

If you want to use the claim there was no curfew & no booze ban and the next day was a free day so they didn't do anything wrong, then you're effectively saying it would have been ok for them all to get falling down spewing in the gutter drunk, and rock into the team hotel whenever they recovered so long as they were ready to go the following morning.

Obviously that's not you mean (I hope:) ), but it illustrates the situation - where you stop is a commonsense call, not something which should have to be regulated by tour management. They know the drill - a couple of drinks is fine, no more.

If it had been the usual team dinner, it would have been a feed and a couple of drinks and done. If they get told they can go out to eat, what's different, should he have to tell them "make sure you only have a couple"?

The result now, from what I read, is that McKenzie has put in place a total booze ban except for the night after the game, and a strict midnight curfew. If people prove they can't handle responsibility, then you take it off them.

Unfortunately it's something you see a lot of these days, people not accepting responsibility for their actions, and trying to wriggle out by saying "Well you didn't specifically say I couldn't do X", when they know very well it was the expectation.

That turned into quite a rant:(. Sorry.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
There are only 6 facing time on the sidelines - those named in the team vs Ireland. The others I can deal with going out- not playing for at least 10 more days. And they were only warned very strongly not to repeat their behaviour. Fair call on the punishment.

I think the misunderstanding could be excused for those not playing for at least 10 days- little harm done. But 2 games in 7 days and let's get on the piss in between?

(Aren't there concerns over playing load and fatigue this time of year??)

Status
Not open for further replies.