• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies - how not to lose, rather than win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually wonder if when looking at how game was played in 99 etc there is a tendency to forget at times that the players were perhaps a lot smarter. I know we all look at JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper) and Digby etc and see players that are quite special with skills, but do you actually ever watch games and see QC (Quade Cooper) do a behind back pass etc and think they really out smart teams. It actually hard to put finger on it, but as All Black supporter during 80s, 90s, early 00s, I tended to be worried that Horan/Little,Andrew Slack,Ella or Lynagh at 10 would do something really clever that would really hurt you. Even in forwards I alsways thought the likes of Eales were actually thinkers during the game. I think for instance look at difference between players like Dan Carter, Conrad Smith and McCaw etc and their opposites, and tell me you don't think they are just a bit more intelligent and are capable of out thinking their opposites. I don't even think it a Deans problem, as I haven't really seen too many players in Aus S15 teams this year that make me change my mind.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Dan, that is well said. We've long had a reputation for playing smart footy, especially to compensate for a lack of physical menace at times. We don't play that same style at the moment. It's OK to say to the players "play what's in front of you", but you've got to have that intelligence in the playing group to begin with. Genia's got it and maybe one or two others, but I see a lot more reliance on an individual moment of brilliance from Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale etc (when they're playing). You're right that Conrad Smith is an exemplar of the kind of intelligence we're missing on field at the moment.

Campo, for instance, was a rugby genius but he had very smart players around him.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
If any Aussie youngsters were watching that, why would they want to play union, let alone watch the WB's?

ARU board, you have a lot to be responsible for in this farce. Do something instead of quaffing cappacinos.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Barnes showed a return to form, Cummins was good under the high ball, Hooper played well enough to retain his position, both hookers were impressive, Tapuai could be a long term centre solution.

The scrum was god awful, the line out not much better, we fell off of too many tackles, over reliance on forward play, no signs of dominance.

All in all a 4/10. The usual from the Wallabies under Deans.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Disheartening that another games goes by where we fail to score a try. I don't care if we lose, along as we show some ambition to play the game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What was worse? a) The Wallies or b) Marto's godfuckingawful attempt at looking like the Chopper?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^Is there a c) Marto's ongoing appearance on Fox Sports?

Edit: Mind you bravo to him for doing Movember. Mens Health is a good cause.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Barnes showed a return to form, Cummins was good under the high ball, Hooper played well enough to retain his position, both hookers were impressive, Tapuai could be a long term centre solution.

The scrum was god awful, the line out not much better, we fell off of too many tackles, over reliance on forward play, no signs of dominance.

All in all a 4/10. The usual from the Wallabies under Deans.

Which game were you watching?

The only players who earned their money tonight, were Hooper, Moore and Douglas.

Barnes was his usual 'kick aimlessly as default, take poor options and execute THOSE poorly when deciding to run the ball, tackle very well, and show the 'forced anal' expression.

Aside from his grub-hack downfield, I didn't even notice Tapaui on the field for gods sake. He's not even the best centre at the REDS!!!!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Which game were you watching?

The only players who earned their money tonight, were Hooper, Moore and Douglas.

Barnes was his usual 'kick aimlessly as default, take poor options and execute THOSE poorly when deciding to run the ball, tackle very well, and show the 'forced anal' expression.

Aside from his grub-hack downfield, I didn't even notice Tapaui on the field for gods sake. He's not even the best centre at the REDS!!!!

I liked what Barnes added when he came on.

Tapaui was quiet, but I'd like to see a stat on his touches, I reckon he had his hands on the ball a sum total of 3 times? He looked fine to me and although I'd prefer him at 12, I think he is a long term centre for Australia. I would like to know who you think is the best centre at the Reds?

I do get the feeling though that you could watch the same game with someone other than Deans as Wallabies coach and you would give a far different appraisal.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I should add that although I think that a few of our boys had an ok night individually, as a team we were rubbish. At times it looked as though the guys had never met each other before.

I think that Phipps had a pretty off night. I don't really like his selection but he's not been as bad as I was expecting. His performance in this game was what I had been expecting.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That was a very good display of how to lose.

Isn't it supposed to be how not to lose?

They are following the Waratahs progression:

(1) How to win (McKenzie)
(2) How not to lose (Hickey)
(3) How to lose (Foley)

Hopefully the next step is returning to how to win but as a Waratah supporter I will believe that when I read about it in the Sydney media.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I liked what Barnes added when he came on.

Tapaui was quiet, but I'd like to see a stat on his touches, I reckon he had his hands on the ball a sum total of 3 times? He looked fine to me and although I'd prefer him at 12, I think he is a long term centre for Australia. I would like to know who you think is the best centre at the Reds?

I do get the feeling though that you could watch the same game with someone other than Deans as Wallabies coach and you would give a far different appraisal.

Tapaui is suffering from Aus 13 disease, we don't send the ball there, his touches were as limited as were Horne's and we know how the hate built for him

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Wallabies were just woeful… the experiment of Beale at flyhalf didn’t work, he didn’t organise the backs… and someone needs to remind Phipps and few others that you’re meant to pass to ball to your own team mates… Wallabies halves rubbish, back 3 lost the high balls or just didnt go for them, shows low confidence. scrum was rubbish.... Line out was good thanks Sharpie... Hooper was the Wallabies best player....
Deans again activated the bench too late...

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This was the first time that I didn't bother to watch the whole game! But from what I saw I have to agree with mudskipper.
The halves were rubbish! Beale doesn't have the game vision that Cooper has and his organizational skills of the backs was woeful. By the way I have Fox and IQ but until Deans goes not to interested in the EOYT!
Sack Deans NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.