• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies: Latest Injuries and selection for Test 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Frank Nicholson (4)
@QantasWallabies: Rob Simmons has been training at 6 today for the @QantasWallabies as they prepare for the 2nd Test in Melbourne this weekend #LionsTour

Just read this on twitter. Surely a gee up

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Foxing

Richard Graham was 'skills' coach during the brief 4-tries-a-game period. Makes the Reds steps backwards even more confusing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For the life of me I just can't figure out what Barnes was thinking with that open field bomb? Was it supposed to be a clearing kick that just went wrong? I mean, if someone did that in my 3rd grade subbies team they'd be hooked instantly. I think rugby players are getting stupider, or maybe all those head knocks have just caught up with him.

The idea was OK, he dropped one earlier, but the execution was shit.

To me kicks have to be contestable or out

That kick was too long to be contestable and not long enough to go out, so shit.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

That kick was too long to be contestable and not long enough to go out, so shit.

We all know from many years on these boards that Barnes at all levels has a distinguished history of aimless, wayward and poorly executed kicking under pressure. In this, he can be a very high risk of creating productive possession gifts for opposition, or gifts to commence 'free' counter attacks in open space.

What was impressive is how Cheika this year helped him gain composure and confidence in keeping ball in hand and working with it, he thus learnt to use his other good attacking instincts and skills way better.

(Puts a wry smile on my face when I reflect back on all the 'QC (Quade Cooper) is too mistake prone' material, as though there were all these wonderful other backs we possessed that hardly ever made reckless errors and only did good things.)

T

Train Without a Station

If Deans loses this match, he's hopefully lost his job. So all of those thinking the likes of Mogg, Smith and Tapuia are going to come into the starting line up are kidding. Deans will be shitting himself, so he's not going to give a debut cap to someone unless he has to.

Mate he is grasping at straws. He's speculated to be one loss away from losing his job. He's grasping at any experienced player he can get, so Smith is extremely likely to start. Mogg not so.

The frustrating part is that he cannot see the folly of his ways. He rushed back in some way underdone JOC (James O'Connor), McCabe, Barnes and Digby for their experience thinking this would save us. These were a couple of the most average performers on the weekend.

It was debutants in Mowen and Folau who had quite strong games and a couple more of them in the right positions where they were clearly performing better than the player they chose (e.g. Mogg) possibly could have seen a slightly better performance.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I still don't get the whole low risk approach by Deans... It's the whole reason he's in this precarious position in the first place. I would think that you would want to try absolutely every option available to shake things up and convince the ARU that he is not caught in bad habits. This means taking the risk on players like To'omua/ Cooper/ Mogg (earlier in the selection process), knowing they could lose you or possibly save your job.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
@QantasWallabies: Rob Simmons has been training at 6 today for the @QantasWallabies as they prepare for the 2nd Test in Melbourne this weekend #LionsTour

Just read this on twitter. Surely a gee up

It is either that or have Kimlin training at lock.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm surprised he doesn't appear to have considered To'omua (I.e. He did not make the 31 man squad, nor was one of the 3 replacements) as he is essentially the flyhalf that best fits what Deans describes he wants.

I consider Cooper to be a better flyhalf. But it's beyond doubt, that To'omua is the best conservative flyhalf option in Australia at the moment. Somewhat of a more skilled Butch James without the cheap shots.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)

I think Cuthbert dropped the early one?
I'm not sure that 'kick the ball to North' is ever a good idea. Kick to space or kick so Folau can contest.

Beale, diggers, JOC (James O'Connor) aren't good under the high ball. Sadly (sort of) our best two under the high ball are Folau and Genia!!! AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is serviceable.

Second half Lions put one up inside our 22, Genia and Beale are in position to go for it - I scream at the TV for Genia to tell Beale 'MINE' but the opposite happens and Beale watches it bounce... Sanchez is 5 foot fuck all in heels and he's better than most of the rest of the backline at taking the high one.....

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
News Headline:
Wallabies playmaker James O'Connor would love another crack at no. 10 against Lions

aye, so would i, doesn't mean it's a good idea!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Mate he is grasping at straws. He's speculated to be one loss away from losing his job. He's grasping at any experienced player he can get, so Smith is extremely likely to start. Mogg not so.

The frustrating part is that he cannot see the folly of his ways. He rushed back in some way underdone JOC (James O'Connor), McCabe, Barnes and Digby for their experience thinking this would save us. These were a couple of the most average performers on the weekend.

It was debutants in Mowen and Folau who had quite strong games and a couple more of them in the right positions where they were clearly performing better than the player they chose (e.g. Mogg) possibly could have seen a slightly better performance.

On this point, just btw: was it not some of the 'enforced via injuries Wallaby debutants' that in fact performed surprisingly well in 2012's Tests? Eg, Honey Badger, and, for one game-winner kick, Harris vs Wales.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think Cuthbert dropped the early one?
I'm not sure that 'kick the ball to North' is ever a good idea. Kick to space or kick so Folau can contest.

Beale, diggers, JOC (James O'Connor) aren't good under the high ball. Sadly (sort of) our best two under the high ball are Folau and Genia!!! AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is serviceable.

Second half Lions put one up inside our 22, Genia and Beale are in position to go for it - I scream at the TV for Genia to tell Beale 'MINE' but the opposite happens and Beale watches it bounce. Sanchez is 5 foot fuck all in heels and he's better than most of the rest of the backline at taking the high one...

This is an area where the Badger could be key: he's great under the high ball.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
For the life of me I just can't figure out what Barnes was thinking with that open field bomb? Was it supposed to be a clearing kick that just went wrong? I mean, if someone did that in my 3rd grade subbies team they'd be hooked instantly. I think rugby players are getting stupider, or maybe all those head knocks have just caught up with him.

I've been saying this for years but no one listens. That is Barnes MO.

For every decent kick of his, eg the WC semi, from which we won a penalty from the lineout, there are 5 really average kicks that do us no good at all, but don't harm us, and 2-3 utter howlers that result in a try against us, massive loss in field position or blow a perfect opportunity to score.

I really cannot fathom how people think he's a good option, when he's actually even less consistent than Cooper! His defence really is the only thing that he has over Cooper IMO. His game management isn't that great, his option taking pretty average, skill execution very average and is just as susceptible to pressure as Cooper.

When Barnes is under pressure, he drops back into the pocket nice and deep, and proceeds to kick the leather off it. When its a shit kick or no one is expecting it, we end up with the North try.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Barnes is good at a few things. Taking high balls, defense, closing out games. But he needs firm instruction to stay away from his instinct to kick. When he does attack the line, it's often productive, but he takes that option far too infrequently. He's been incredibly frustrating to watch as a Tahs fan because you can see the talent and nous, but have to watch him boot the ball aimlessly too often.

Having said all that, I thought Saturday was his worst game in gold for a long time. He was very good last year and played the game exactly the right way in a team devastated by injuries.

While the kick to North was terrible, a lot of people missed tackles before Big George made the line. So it's not entirely Barnes' fault. Just substantially.

Status
Not open for further replies.