• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies squad named

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Quade, MMM, & Inman in.
Israel out.
Israel Folau not on Wallabies radar - for now
Jim Morton, January 14, 2013 - 6:29 PM​
Former Wallabies forward Hugh McMeniman is on the radar for an immediate Test return against the British and Irish Lions after being included in Australia's early-year preparations.​
But code-hopper Israel Folau may be further away than he'd hoped after being left out of a logistics camp involving 49 of the country's top players.​
Just months after returning from a three-year stint in Japan, McMeniman was among players who assembled in Sydney on Monday for the camp which sees them outfitted, photographed and involved in promotional work for the season ahead.​
mcmeniman-353-300x0.jpg
While virtually all of last year's 42 Test players were involved, there were notable exclusions on top of league international Folau, who will make his rugby debut for the NSW Waratahs next month.​
..... A Wallabies spokesman played down the significance of the prospective squad.​
"It doesn't guarantee them anything," he said.​
"If you're not here it doesn't mean you're not a Wallaby this year - it comes down to what you do on the field.....​
Queensland Reds (16): Saia Fainga'a, James Hanson, James Slipper, James Horwill, Rob Simmons, Jake Schatz, Liam Gill, Will Genia, Ben Lucas, Quade Cooper, Ben Tapaui, Anthony Fainga'a, Mike Harris, Dom Shipperley, Digby Ioane, Luke Morahan.​
NSW Waratahs (13): Tatafu Polota-Nau, Benn Robinson, Paddy Ryan, Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Sitaleki Timani, Dave Dennis, Michael Hooper, Wycliff Palu, Berrick Barnes, Rob Horne, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Drew Mitchell.​
Brumbies (8): Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander, Dan Palmer, David Pocock, Nic White, Christian Lealiifano, Pat McCabe, Joe Tomane.​
Melbourne Rebels (8): Cadeyrn Neville, Hugh Pyle, Scott Higginbotham, Nick Phipps, Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Mitch Inman, Cooper Vuna.​
Western Force (4): Salesi Ma'afu, Hugh McMeniman, Ben McCalman, Nick Cummins.​

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
... A Wallabies spokesman played down the significance of the prospective squad.
Possibly the most pertinent line in the quoted article.
If, big if, Folau was to play the house down in Super Rugby, for example, I am sure he'd be a lot closer.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Possibly the most pertinent line in the quoted article.

That's why I left it in the excerpt. The list does give an indication of Robbie's thoughts at this stage, though. A bit of positive motivation for MMM.

I think one of the biggest questions will be who gets Sharpie's old lineout spot.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'm hopeful Israel will do well in Rugby, but it would have been outrageous if he was chosen before he's even played a game.

Perhaps that is why Robbie met him for coffee: "You won't be in the initial squad, but this is what you have to do if you want to make it."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Could someone identify the "notable exclusions" (probably really should be called "omissions")?
Omitting IF was an easy way to show that the squad is legitimately based: no performance = no space.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Could someone identify the "notable exclusions" (probably really should be called "omissions")?
Omitting IF was an easy way to show that the squad is legitimately based: no performance = no space.
From the team lists, I would guess Lachie Turner and Brett Sheehan are the notable omissions?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Brumbies captain Ben Mowen and Waratahs winger Lachie Turner were both overlooked while veteran Queensland forward Radike Samo and Western Force halfback Brett Sheehan, both Test players late last season, also stayed at home.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-wallabies-radar/story-fn8ti7yn-1226553908446

T

TOCC

I think Cummins has taken over Turner in the pecking order and based on the form and injuries at the completion of the EOYT he was my second pick for winger behind Digby. I'm still iffy on Drew Mitchell, he even admitted that mentally he was still battling with his injury, but if he overcomes this and shows some good form in 2013 then he will round out the top 3 competition for wingers.

Following those 3 you move onto the likes of Shipperly, Vuna and Turner. I'd say they are all on par and their selection will be dependent on their club form. In saying that I would also play a fit JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing ahead of these 3..

Status
Not open for further replies.