• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies to play Great Britain Rugby League team.......... ugh.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Do you think we would likely run out a 2nd string team considering it is only a grab for cash?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Do you think we would likely run out a 2nd string team considering it is only a grab for cash?

The article is quoting a match payment of around $50k per player. I reckon a few of them would be putting their hands up for that nice little earner.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
My initial thought was the $5m the wallabies should throw it straight back into the 3rd tier comp so some of these grassroot rugby clubs can't cry poor about the exuberant fee that's needed to be part of 3rdTier Comp.

RugbyStu

Frank Row (1)
I take the argument about injuries and scheduling. But I find really interesting that anytime this is brought up the extreme irrational and illogical negativity from both sides.

Read the story on a league sight that destroyed the idea "will be weird going for Great Britain" they all said. Look at GAGR same stupid anger.

I don't get it? A lot of people myself included love both sports, they aren't as different as people make them out to be, bringing them together seems is like a sacrilegious offence to the rugby religion.

Yes they hate each other with a virulent, ages old rivalry but sport is built on great rivalries. Both are facing AFL and Soccor slowly eating the fringes of the supporter base. Most people overseas don't understand nor would they care about the divide.

What's more surprising is that this hasn't been done before (on this scale)?
Players flow both ways a lot now heaps of NRL players with union backgrounds and vice versa and the initial reason for the schism are gone, it's reminds me of the "Judea peoples front" sketch from Monty Python.

Watched the St Augustine vs Keebra park game I liked it, it was exciting and it had potential. But all I read was "this is crap" "I hate it" "league sucks, union is better you uncouth peasant. No you snobby elitist, league is better" Seriously, grow up, move on, get over it, nobody actually gave it a chance.

But for me I like league, I like union put them together give it a good crack for a one off, what's the big deal, what are people so afraid of?

T

TOCC

I take the argument about injuries and scheduling. But I find really interesting that anytime this is brought up the extreme irrational and illogical negativity from both sides.

Read the story on a league sight that destroyed the idea "will be weird going for Great Britain" they all said. Look at GAGR same stupid anger.

I don't get it? A lot of people myself included love both sports, they aren't as different as people make them out to be, bringing them together seems is like a sacrilegious offence to the rugby religion.

Illogical and irrational? Forgive those of us who actually want to watch the wallabies playing top level test match rugby and not some poor excuse for revenue raising.

It has nothing to do with hating another sport, it's about making a mockery of the Wallaby brand and risk damaging the reputation of the whole organisation by participating in something which is going to be nothing more then a circus act.

Professional sport is born from competitiveness, this concept won't be competitive, basically each team will take 40min turns at looking ridiculous whilst the other one runs rings around them...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the game takes place, it will be an exhibition match.

It would be one in the eye for the NH traditionalists, and that can't be all bad. I still believe that the codes will eventually reunite.

SH rugby has more in common with loig than it does with the typical NH stodgy 9 man rubbish.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Rugby Stu, welcome aboard.

I like Cricket and understand Baseball. There are similarities between both games, but I also can't see much merit in the New York Yankees playing a Hybrid 10/10 cricket/5 Inning Baseball game against the Australian Cricket Team.

Interesting in its absurdity only. Would prove nothing. Only of interest for Celebrity value.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
@Rugby Stu, welcome aboard.

I like Cricket and understand Baseball. There are similarities between both games, but I also can't see much merit in the New York Yankees playing a Hybrid 10/10 cricket/5 Inning Baseball game against the Australian Cricket Team.

Interesting in its absurdity only. Would prove nothing. Only of interest for Celebrity value.

Your Cricket vs Baseball analogy is a bit more left field #pardonpun then what is being suggested here. Union/League hybrid.

RL & RU both come from the same apple tree that Webb Ellis created. the fields are the same. the balls pretty much same dimensions.

I'd actually be more interested then seeing the worlds greatest footballers remove their helmets & pads & see how they go taking down gladiators with hairs on their chest.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Remember last time the Wallabies played at Wembley in a 'meaningless' match against the Barbarians?

Dunning did his Achilles and Kepu his knee. The surface is not up to the stress that Union scrums and the like places on it.

They changed the surface after that match it's now the same hybrid turf as Twickenham. Same one they will lay at Millennium.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Money changes everything, according to a well known popular philosophist.

It would be a very brave man indeed who would aver that the rules of rugby will not be drastically changed in the decades ahead.

There is going to be increasing diversity of viewing choice, and I have absolutely no doubt that, sooner or later, an enterprising entrepreneur will promote a professional league that encapsulates the best of rugby while being accessible to potential viewers who are not at all interested in watching paint dry.

We have, on our doorstep, some incredible athletes amongst the Pacific Islanders (in particular) who are far better suited to running the ball than in joining rolling mauls. And who can blame them? Harness them, harness the American Football players who drop out early, harness some of our kids who prefer to run with the ball.

12 a side sounds about right to me. That would be a good start. Emulate the Sevens rules, play a genuine 30 minutes actual play per half.

It will happen. A world wide league. Conferences in the US, Europe (includes Africa) and Asia-Pacific. I wish I were a billionaire, I would start planning tomorrow. Or today, actually. :cool:

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Illogical and irrational? Forgive those of us who actually want to watch the wallabies playing top level test match rugby and not some poor excuse for revenue raising.

It has nothing to do with hating another sport, it's about making a mockery of the Wallaby brand and risk damaging the reputation of the whole organisation by participating in something which is going to be nothing more then a circus act.

Professional sport is born from competitiveness, this concept won't be competitive, basically each team will take 40min turns at looking ridiculous whilst the other one runs rings around them.
You don't know what you are talking about.
That is not how this hybrid game is played.
Don't like it?
Don't watch it.
Like it or not $5M is a big number,that the code needs so that they can continue to afford to pay our elite players to play top level Test match Rugby.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The coin toss won't just be aboutchoosing direction, kickoff or receive!

The coin toss will be a decision about 15 or 13.

T

TOCC

You don't know what you are talking about.
That is not how this hybrid game is played.
Don't like it?
Don't watch it.
Like it or not $5M is a big number,that the code needs so that they can continue to afford to pay our elite players to play top level Test match Rugby.

If you disagree then post something to counter the points i raised and what exactly it is that i don't know what i am talking about?

Shit, I'm sure the ARU could get money to have these guys feature in a Thunder From Down Under show as well, doesn't mean its a good idea or it should be done.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Good point.
The hybrid game as it has been played thus far,is Rugby in ong half of the field,and Mungo in the other,with a time limit on each possession phase.
For example you play Mungo in your half,and as soon as you go over 1/2 way you play Rugby rules.
Sounds disjointed,but the Schoolboy game I watched was possibly the fastest game I have seen.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'm actually quite interested to see how the game pans out. I'll be watching. Keep in mind that some Wallabies have League backgrounds. Folau, Tomane at the professional level and a bunch at age grade level such as Quade. Hopefully Ewen calls on Wayne Benefit for assistance.
I'm sure GB will be able to call on some Union props to assist in the scrum.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
the idea of a hybrid game doesnt really interest me, but if it makes ARU some decent coin then i have no problem with it. If the ARU can make some money to put into a 3rd Tier Comp then it's beneficial

RugbyStu

Frank Row (1)
I think experimenting with less players is a good starting point anything from 7 to 13.

I'm keen to see the forwards battle it out. Sure it could be crap, any game can be crap, but If the players take it seriously and with pride and money on the line it will be interesting to see leaguies giving lineouts, rucks and scrums a genuine go. They are skilled professional athletes who's to say they can't learn new skills.

UK also has a beast of a forward pack with props comparable to union forwards size wise. If they get a taste for scrums would be cool to see them put on the shove in a league game, nothing says they can't!

I could see boys like Kepu, TPN, Moore, Higginbotham, Fardy, Hooper being handy league forwards if they work at it. Some of our forwards might gain some valuable fitness from the experience.

It would be nice for both games to give some mutual respect for each other "you know what those scrums/lineouts can be intense and skilful" "wow those hit ups are damn tough and physically demanding."

It won't happen..."yawnion is so boring snore I hate it, mungo is so simple and dull I hate it" oh well, I'm an optimist.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Surely this isn't going to be one half of union and then half of league like the article suggests? What on earth would that achieve? It's not entertainment watching an awfully one-sided contest where a side is completely handicapped.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If the game takes place, it will be an exhibition match.

It would be one in the eye for the NH traditionalists, and that can't be all bad. I still believe that the codes will eventually reunite.

SH rugby has more in common with loig than it does with the typical NH stodgy 9 man rubbish.
Where the hell do you get that idea wamb? I personally don't think SH rugby has bugger all in common with league. They will ne4ver reunite unless Union just swallows league, which I can't see happening, Sounds like a load of crap to me, but if the ARU think they can make a couple of dollars and want to help promote league in NH, let them, but don't come moaning to anyone that they have to compete with league for players!!

Status
Not open for further replies.