• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
For some reason I had an inkling tonight that Ben Tapuai might make the 40-man squad. Not sure why, but if he is announced tomorrow then I am a psychic

Kept getting better and better and saved his best game for the final. Says a lot, doesn't it?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Ewen Mckenzie should be wallabies assistant coach (in addition to coaching queensland) for the next two seasons so he can familiarise himself with the set up before he takes over from deans. Its a no brainer really, he is one of the best tacticians in world rugby, a wallabie coach in waiting and he has recently coached two of the provinces.

I was going to start another thread on the issue but I closed the page by accident and didn't have the heart to re-write it all.

Thoughts?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think Ewen Mckenzie should be wallabies assistant coach (in addition to coaching queensland) for the next two seasons so he can familiarise himself with the set up before he takes over from deans. Its a no brainer really, he is one of the best tacticians in world rugby, a wallabie coach in waiting and he has recently coached two of the provinces.

I was going to start another thread on the issue but I closed the page by accident and didn't have the heart to re-write it all.

Thoughts?

I think Mackenzie has already come out and said he didn't think him being an assistant coach would work. Essentially his arguement was along the 'too many cooks' thinking.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Grumbles seems to believe that Gill is a bolter, which like some of these 'possible' selections seem like a bit of a joke:

POSSIBLE WALLABIES SQUAD: Rocky Elsom (c), Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Kurtley Beale, Richard Brown, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Ben Daley, Rod Davies, Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a, Will Genia, Liam Gill, Matt Giteau, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, Rob Horne, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm, James O'Connor, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Benn Robinson, Radike Samo, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Sitaleki Timani, Lachie Turner, Dan Vickerman, Ben Whittaker.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To breakdown Grumbles' 'possible' squad by position (roughly):

Props: Alexander, Daley, Kepu, Robinson, Slipper (All deserved, with Daley to be cut when the squad is reduced)
Hookers: S Fainga'a, Hanson, Moore, Whittaker (Whittaker over Charles?)
Locks: Horwill, Mumm, Sharpe, Simmons, Timani, Vickerman (Agreed, except for Vickerman who has done nothing to justify his position, and this position should be given to either Wykes, Kimlin or Pyle)
Blindside flanker: Elsom, Higginbotham (Higginbotham is not sufficient backup to Elsom)
Openside flanker: Pocock, Hodgson, Gill (Gill is more deserved over Robinson, or even C Fainga'a and Hooper? I don't think so...)
No. 8: Palu, McCalman, Samo, Brown (Cut Brown and bring in another 6 option like Dennis)

SH: Burgess, Genia, Phipps
Flyhalf: Barnes, Cooper, Giteau
Centres: Ashley-Cooper, A Fainga'a, Horne, McCabe, O'Connor
Wing: Davies, Ioane, Mitchell, Turner
Fullback: Beale

(agreed on all the backs except for Turner, who I think maybe lucky to be there)

It could be better... much better...

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Morahan over Turner would be a good start. Possibly Tapuai into the side as he gives us a linebreaking number 12 option but hard to pick who to leave out from the list.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The turner selection depend onif deans is rewarding players who have played wallabies before or not, the guy didn't have the best season but he has never let the wallabies down in any way before.

G

GC

From twitter

Wallabies squad: Alexander, ashley-Cooper, beale, burgess, Cooper, Daley, Davies, dennis, Elsom (c), Fainga'a x 2, genia, Gerrard, Giteau, Hanson, Higginbotham, hodgson, horwill, ioane, kepu, maafu, McCabe, mccalman, Moore, morahan, mumm, Oconnor, palu, Phipps, pocock,Beau Robinson, Benn Robinson, samo, sharpe, Simmons, slipper, timani, turner, vickerman

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Official:

Props: Robinson, Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Daley, Ma'afu
Hookers: Moore, Fainga'a, Hanson, TPN
Locks: Sharpe, Horwill, Vickerman, Mumm, Timani, Simmons
Blindside: Elsom, Higginbotham, Dennis
Openside: Pocock, Hodgson, Robinson
Number 8: McCalman, Samo, Palu
Halfback: Genia, Burgess, Phipps
Flyhalf: Cooper, Giteau
Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gerrard, McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor), Fainga'a
Wing: Davies, Ioane, Turner
Fullback: Beale, Morahan

Mitchell, Brown, Barnes, Horne not considered due to injury. Then why were TPN and Palu?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
15 Reds in the squad. Holmes and Taps may be considered hard done by especially as Maafu made it but there is a heap of options at 12 without Taps.

No surprises really but wasn't expecting many in this extended squad. Shame Mitchell isn't being considered, have a feeling they could be foxing though and is a chance still at WC.

Qwerty - left out A Fainga'a

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Official:

Props: Robinson, Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Daley, Ma'afu
Hookers: Moore, Fainga'a, Hanson, TPN
Locks: Sharpe, Horwill, Vickerman, Mumm, Timani, Simmons
Blindside: Elsom, Higginbotham, Dennis
Openside: Pocock, Hodgson, Robinson
Number 8: McCalman, Samo, Palu
Halfback: Genia, Burgess, Phipps
Flyhalf: Cooper, Giteau
Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gerrard, McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor)
Wing: Davies, Ioane, Turner
Fullback: Beale, Morahan

Mitchell, Brown, Barnes, Horne not considered for injury. Then why were TPN and Palu?

And nobody will ever convince me of the validity of Elsom or Vickerman.

T

TheNextBigThing

Force missed out on a Lot of marginal spots.

Charles v Hanson
Wykes v timani
cummins v morahan

Overall very solid squad. Although I can't see how ma'fu made it. Baxter should feel very hard done by.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
The end of road for Mortlock too. A lot of forwards, almost all the backs selected here will play the RWC (if not all), depends on Barnes and Mitchell.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thankfully it's a much better squad than what Grumbles predicted... but why Ma'afu is there over the likes of Palmer or Baxter is ridiculous...

Gerrard is also very lucky... Deans ignored him when he was in good form and needed by the Wobs a few years back... unsure of why he's being selected now?

Vickerman's selection is still a bit of a joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.