• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Deans ignoring the top try scorer, strange.

Gerrard baffles me, he is building the team arou pace and work rate, odd man out

Well, Gerrard can never be faulted have a poor work rate. He was consistently one of the hardest working Rebels on the field. Pace wise, he's not where he was 4 years ago but lets not forget he used to start on the Wallabies wing. It is possible with some time in camp he can tune that up a little.

However, all that aside, what he's really in there for is to give the Wallabies another string to their bow. The last world cup was a great example of how if we bring only a great running game with us, we are vulnerable. We need the ability to play a tactical kicking game if we choose to, and Gerrard is the best in Australia for this. I would suggest he is chosen specifically at no 22 if the Wallabies meet England in the WC, and be brought on if their forwards are taking ours apart.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, Gerrard can never be faulted have a poor work rate. He was consistently one of the hardest working Rebels on the field. Pace wise, he's not where he was 4 years ago but lets not forget he used to start on the Wallabies wing. It is possible with some time in camp he can tune that up a little.

However, all that aside, what he's really in there for is to give the Wallabies another string to their bow. The last world cup was a great example of how if we bring only a great running game with us, we are vulnerable. We need the ability to play a tactical kicking game if we choose to, and Gerrard is the best in Australia for this. I would suggest he is chosen specifically at no 22 if the Wallabies meet England in the WC, and be brought on if their forwards are taking ours apart.

I honestly don't see him making the RWC...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Queensland Reds flanker Beau Robinson named in 40-man Wallabies squad for Tri Nations

The news just gets better for Beau Robinson, with the Queensland Reds flanker named in a 40-man Wallabies squad for next weekend’s Test against Samoa and the Tri Nations.

Fresh from the Reds’ 18-13 victory over the Crusaders in the Super Rugby final at Suncorp Stadium, Robinson was named alongside 13 of his title-winning teammates.

Robinson is one of three newcomers to the squad, with coach Robbie Deans also calling up Reds hooker James Hanson and New South Wales Waratahs lock, Sitaleki Timani.

Deans also selected four other uncapped players, although Dave Dennis, Nick Phipps, Luke Morahan and Rod Davies have previously participated in spring tours.

While there were call-ups for seven uncapped players, Deans has also revived the international careers of Radike Samo, Mark Gerrard and Dan Vickerman.

Samo last played for the Wallabies in 2004, while Gerrard returned from Japan at the start of 2011 and now looks set to add to his 23 Test caps.

Deans has retained Rocky Elsom as captain, despite the Brumbies flanker playing just one Super Rugby game this season.

Berrick Barnes and Drew Mitchell were not considered for selection due to the uncertain timelines surrounding their recovery from injury.

Wallabies' 40-man Squad
Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Ben Daley, Rod Davies, Dave Dennis, Rocky Elsom (c), Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a, Will Genia, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Salesi Ma'afu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, Luke Morahan, Dean Mumm, James O'Connor, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Beau Robinson, Benn Robinson, Radike Samo, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Sitaleki Timani, Lachie Turner, Dan Vickerman.[RV][/RV]

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...-for-tri-nations/story-e6frf55l-1226091594609

G

GC

Props: Robinson, Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Daley, Ma'afu
Hookers: Moore, Fainga'a, Hanson, TPN
Locks: Sharpe, Horwill, Vickerman, Mumm, Timani, Simmons
Blindside: Elsom, Higginbotham, Dennis
Openside: Pocock, Hodgson, Robinson
Number 8: McCalman, Samo, Palu
Halfback: Genia, Burgess, Phipps
Flyhalf: Cooper, Giteau
Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gerrard, McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor), Fainga'a
Wing: Davies, Ioane, Turner
Fullback: Beale, Morahan

Ones in bold will be cut I reckon.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Am I behind in posting this?

Anyway, in my personal opinion if I was Stirling Mortlock today I'd be feeling damn ordinary. It seems people are getting test recalls near and far bar him.

Poor fellow, I really felt he deserved a crack at being a squad-man.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hopefully Dennis will remain because I don't want Higginbotham near the starting xv if Elsom goes down...

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I honestly don't see him making the RWC...

Look, he may not. I am a Rebels supporter after all, so am mildly biased :p The point is still relevant that he brings a different skill set to the group. Realistically Beale/Cooper/Oconnor and (perhaps) Giteau are cut of the same mould. So I think he's a fair squad selection.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Am I behind in posting this?

Anyway, in my personal opinion if I was Stirling Mortlock today I'd be feeling damn ordinary. It seems people are getting test recalls near and far bar him.

Poor fellow, I really felt he deserved a crack at being a squad-man.

Well, there are now far too many better centres ahead of him...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Look, he may not. I am a Rebels supporter after all, so am mildly biased :p The point is still relevant that he brings a different skill set to the group. Realistically Beale/Cooper/Oconnor and (perhaps) Giteau are cut of the same mould. So I think he's a fair squad selection.

But they're far better players...

Gerrard won't offer this squad much except for a big boot... but there are several players in the squad already who have a good kicking game......

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gerrard, McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor), Fainga'a

Daley, Ma'afu, Hanson, Mumm, Timani, Dennis and Gerrard will almost definitely be cut for the RWC. Dennis, Higginbotham, Hodgson, Robinson and Samo will fight it out for 2 places, with Higginbotham and either Hodgson or Robinson likely to stay. Phipps will be cut (although Damon Emtage seems to think Burgess will be axed) as will Davies, making way for Barnes and Mitchell.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I am a big fan of Beau Robinson - would love to see him get a test start - but he isn't better than Pocock, and I think Hodgson is better cover on the bench. Also, I think they will keep three half backs and drop out one more of the centres - either Fainga'a or McCabe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely no way Hodgson would be cut for Beau.

IMO 11-12 will be cut to make room for Mitchell and Barnes.

Daley, Ma'afu, Mumm, Timani, Beau, Samo, Gerrard, Hanson, Phipps, Higginbotham/Dennis, Turner/Morahan

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt Fainga'a or McCabe will get the chop...

With Horne out either one of those guys will be outside centre cover, and McCabe covers 11 - 15...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still can't understand why TPN/Palu were named but not Mitchell.

Maybe their injuries aren't as bad as thought?

Reactions: DPK
G

GC

I guess there's no chance Mitchell will be back for the 3N while the others might make the last game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The players to be cut for RWC:

Daley, Ma'afu
Hanson
Timani (although I'd keep him over Vickerman), Mumm
Higginbotham, Dennis, Samo (one to remain if Palu isn't fit)
Gerrard
Turner (for Mitchell)

Two more to go if Barnes and Horne are available, however I doubt they'll return...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aside from Mumm, who doesn't deserve to stay in the squad, none of our locks really act as a 6 cover... which is unusual as there's usually at least one in the squad...

I realise Horwill has played there before, but he's a tighthead lock and would be wasted there...

I think McCalman could be in line to fill in there if Palu is fit and Elsom rested against the minnows...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
As Lee has often opined, Gerrard has his very strong merits in certain situations. I don't mind seeing him there, and he has played well this year. I doubt he will get a lot of game time, though.

I can see him as quite the asset if we need to close a game out.

I would of rather seen them save a bit of coin and select 39 rather than selecting Mafu. His selection baffles me.

Overall it is a good squad full of hard workers and team players.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Can Higgenbotham please be reassigned to his correct position of outside back.

Feel sorry for a few players - Pyle and Charles are first to come to mind. But I guess with the Reds winning the whole thing that will count for their players (and rightfully so).

Status
Not open for further replies.