• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Absolutely no way Hodgson would be cut for Beau.

IMO 11-12 will be cut to make room for Mitchell and Barnes.

Daley, Ma'afu, Mumm, Timani, Beau, Samo, Gerrard, Hanson, Phipps, Higginbotham/Dennis, Turner/Morahan

It's a bit early to say without a ball being kicked or passed.

Each of the squad members now has a genuine shot at going to the RWC.
I assume this is the Tri Nations squad. Anything can happen and most of these blokes will get a run this week or against SA and NZ. They also have the opportunity to show Deans what they can do in training.

It's a very good group of players.

Whats the deal with Rocky not fronting at the Brumbies awards?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I am not happy that Sam Wykes got shunted, D.Mumm can consider himself a lucky man. Apart from that, no real selection problems, Salesi Ma'afu is but then again he will only make the 30 if our leading front rowers go down.

Good to see Radike Samo, Timani, Beau Robinson and Nick Phipps get selected.

Cam Shepherd is unlucky, I feel injuries ruined his chances.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
What a whole season of Super rugby doesn't count? Beau is making up the numbers, Hodgson is an outstanding player who is extremely versatile.

If Deans goes for a 5-2 split I think Hodgson could miss out. Jack of all trades, master of none. Robinson is a better #7, Higginbotham is a better #6 for the dying stages and Samo is a more dynamic, impact-style #8.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see how he misses out in 5:2 You get a lock, Hodgson who can play 6 or 7 and an 8 (Palu/Samo).

I don't like the term jack of all trades, master of none for Hodgson. He's not. He's an exceptional 7. Go watch the Highlanders game where he killed it at the breakdown.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't see how he misses out in 5:2 You get a lock, Hodgson who can play 6 or 7 and an 8 (Palu/Samo).

I don't like the term jack of all trades, master of none for Hodgson. He's not. He's an exceptional 7. Go watch the Highlanders game where he killed it at the breakdown.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hodgson- but Robinson has easily outperformed him this year.
I'd prefer to see McCalman and Samo on the bench with Palu starting. It allows Samo to come on for he last 30mins for impact (whilst compensating for Palu's lack of match-fitness). Elsom likely won't be subbed off seeing as he's the captain and Pocock is the best openside flanker in the world so there's no need for Hodgson. McCalman can cover in case of injury and he can also play 6/8. Even Higginbotham could play that role.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Deans goes for a 5-2 split I think Hodgson could miss out. Jack of all trades, master of none. Robinson is a better #7, Higginbotham is a better #6 for the dying stages and Samo is a more dynamic, impact-style #8.

Once again... why would Deans go for a 5/2 split?

And even if he did... Hodgson > Robinson

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
to stick Robinson on the bench assumes that Pocock will get less time, why would anyone want that?

With Elsom & Pocock fit, you would assume the 8 (Samo I guess) and a lock would be the planned replacements.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I love Hodgson- but Robinson has easily outperformed him this year.
I'd prefer to see McCalman and Samo on the bench with Palu starting. It allows Samo to come on for he last 30mins for impact (whilst compensating for Palu's lack of match-fitness). Elsom likely won't be subbed off seeing as he's the captain and Pocock is the best openside flanker in the world so there's no need for Hodgson. McCalman can cover in case of injury and he can also play 6/8. Even Higginbotham could play that role.
Robinson has been very, very good, but Hodgson has also been outstanding, in a mostly losing team. The Force backrow outplayed just about every other backrow they faced all year, often without Pocock. Hodgson has variety on his side too. Robinson is a 7. My gut feeling is that Hodgson would win out in that choice from a coaches point of view.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The people who are arguing that Sitaleki Timani is a sign-em-up speculator who will certainly be cut for the RWC are perhaps getting ahead of themselves a bit. Timani was picked for his performances in the back half of the year when he showed he is starting to learn to use his vast bulk and considerable athleticism. He is potentially a brutally effective lock in attack and defence. If it weren't for the Tongan selection issue (and the fact he played for an unpopular team) then no one would be saying these things: instead they'd be salivating at the prospect of having another 2m+ 120kg lock / 8 in the Wallabies development cycle. I'm excited about his potential. If he continues to improve then I see him as a smokey for the 30 man team.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hodgson no Robinson no Hodgson no Robinson. ?How will we ever decide? If only there was someone out there who was picking a squad for a tournament who could decide for us. then we wouldn't have to go round and round in circles saying the same thing over and over again in the misguided belief that repeating yourself will somehow convince the other person to change his mind.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What a whole season of Super rugby doesn't count? Beau is making up the numbers, Hodgson is an outstanding player who is extremely versatile.
That's not what I meant.
Hodgson will definitely stay.
I'd like to think that all of these guys now have their foot in the door and will be given the opportunity to show what they have before the squad is trimmed chosen for the RWC. How can they just be making up the numbers?

Barnes will not be there. Hopefully Mitchell is.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that's a fair point but Beau is such a hard-nosed player that I think he could easily have a similar impact as a bigger blindside would if needed. I wouldn't be afraid of picking him on the bench with a 5-2 split.

For our best backrow core (with a 5-2 split) I'd go:

6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu

19. Beau Robinson
20. Ben McCalman

Rocky will obviously be in there somewhere realisitically so drop McCalman from the bench, move Higgers to the bench I reckon that is a good way to go. Palu just gets the nod at 8 due to his best being other worldy. Higgers is probably the more consistent but getting Palu in full fitness and rampaging at defensive lines is a good thing to have. Have him play 60 mins or so then bring on Higgers with 20 to go.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Higgers won't make the bench on a 5-2 split because he doesn't have the versatility of McCabe...

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Higgers won't make the bench on a 5-2 split because he doesn't have the versatility of McCabe...

I wouldnt have said that. Higgers has looked excellent both on the wing and in the centres this season.
I guess my biggest concern is that he wants to stay out on his wing and wont come looking for work, and is not one of those backs that tends to get involved in the breakdown.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I wouldnt have said that. Higgers has looked excellent both on the wing and in the centres this season.
I guess my biggest concern is that he wants to stay out on his wing and wont come looking for work, and is not one of those backs that tends to get involved in the breakdown.
Give it a rest! Very old.

Status
Not open for further replies.