• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Back to discussing the squads make up!!
Two years ago the reds were represented with 5 players in the wallabies spring tour. IMO they should dominate selections for trinations. Players like davies, lance, simmons, robinson could may well get the call up. This is along with the regulars fainga bros, daley, ioane, horwell (personally i think should be the captain) and obviously genia and cooper
Will be interesting what selectors and deans go for.

Lance? Let's not go too far. The only Reds who I expect in a full-strength Wallaby XV are Horwill, Samo, Genia, Cooper and Ioane. Ant Fainga'a and Slipper are maybes.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Lance? Let's not go too far. The only Reds who I expect in a full-strength Wallaby XV are Horwill, Samo, Genia, Cooper and Ioane. Ant Fainga'a and Slipper are maybes.

in the absence of Mitchell, does Davies (a favourite of Deans) with his speed move up the queue for a game?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Maybe. But I suspect Robbie will play JOC (James O'Connor) and Digby on the wings. If he doesn't then Davies is certainly in line. Can't see him on the bench though, as he doesn't have the versatility of McCabe.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper Should start at THP IMO as Kepu is a better bet to fix a problem on either side of the scrum should it occur and I would rather not have to swap a prop from THP to LHP mid game. At the start of the year I rated Kepu a great scrummaging LHP second only to a fully fit Fatcat in Oz, who could play THP respectably. I think it would be safe to say he is a genuine strong scrummaging THP who can also play LH very well. I would in fact say that Kepu is the best scrummaging THP in Oz, including the potplant.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't you think that's a bit negative Gnostic? You've acknowledged Kepu as the best THP so why not start him there? His position shouldn't based on a replacement conundrum.

FWIW, I think and agree that Alexander will start at THP as Kepu is coming back from injury.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Don't you think that's a bit negative Gnostic? You've acknowledged Kepu as the best THP so why not start him there? His position shouldn't based on a replacement conundrum.

FWIW, I think and agree that Alexander will start at THP as Kepu is coming back from injury.

Not negative at all. I rate Slipper at TH and think he will prosper in the coming years under Link and Alex Evans. I do not however like him at LH so much the few times I have seen him there. Whilst I do think Kepu is better on both sides than Slipper for the good team coverage it would be better to have Kepu covering both spots from the bench. As for the assertion about returning from injury it didn't stop Deans selecting Alexander last year regardless of form and injury return status.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
For completeness, I note Stirling Mortlock wasn't naamed in the extended squad. Disappointed and confused that MAfu was named, but I see its been discussed in detail elsewhere. All in all seems like a good squad to me, best we have had for a few years now.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not negative at all. I rate Slipper at TH and think he will prosper in the coming years under Link and Alex Evans. I do not however like him at LH so much the few times I have seen him there. Whilst I do think Kepu is better on both sides than Slipper for the good team coverage it would be better to have Kepu covering both spots from the bench. As for the assertion about returning from injury it didn't stop Deans selecting Alexander last year regardless of form and injury return status.

Well he's had two years with Link and Evans and is not yet up to international scrummaging standard IMO. I wouldn't be happy with any of the Reds front row starting for the Wallabies, they were reamed by every side this season.

Kepu and Robinson are head and shoulders above all other props this season.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'd certainly start the two strongest props, and deal with a side change for Kepu if Robinson is injured. Kepu is a monster and is getting monsterer.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I wouldn't be happy with any of the Reds front row starting for the Wallabies, they were reamed by every side this season.

Kepu and Robinson are head and shoulders above all other props this season.

Hyper-hyperbole.

They were not reamed by every side this season.

They weren't shaded by every side this season.

When they were 'reamed' the end result was often a penalty or two and a tighthead, not the apocalypse.

The reds scrum did go backwards against the crusaders and the tahs, in particular, all too often. I blame all 8 for that, not just the front row.

They did win the odd game, so maybe their other contributions were of value.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well they certainly were never on top. I am not saying Daley, Slipper and Holmes are rubbish players, as their workrate was fantastic. But scrummaging is the most important factor in picking an international prop, and if these guys can't prosper in a Super scrum I very much doubt they would do any better in gold. Thus I would be very uncomfortable with any of them starting.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bench split is going to be vital and IMO could determine how close we get to winning the Bledisloe back.
Kiwis (5-2)/ Bokkies (4-3)
16. Stephen Moore
17. Benn Robinson
18. Dan Vickerman
19. Radike Samo / Ben McCalman - Assuming Palu is fit I'd have him starting.
20. Matt Hodgson/ Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau/ Berrick Barnes
22. Pat McCabe

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bench split is going to be vital and IMO could determine how close we get to winning the Bledisloe back.
Kiwis (5-2)/ Bokkies (4-3)
16. Stephen Moore
17. Benn Robinson
18. Dan Vickerman
19. Radike Samo / Ben McCalman - Assuming Palu is fit I'd have him starting.
20. Matt Hodgson/ Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau/ Berrick Barnes
22. Pat McCabe

Why would Benn Robinson and Stephen Moore be on the bench?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ben Daley?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Seriously, why is Robinson on the bench?

And Deans won't pick TPN ahead of Moore...

Status
Not open for further replies.