• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies use of Cooper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So much shifting around to accommodate one players weakness...

Plus Beale would be the better counter attacking option at fullback anyways...

Uh, the Crusaders and All Blacks have utilised Carter at fullback in the defence. Hell they still shift him out to the wing when they're on their own goal line.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Uh, the Crusaders and All Blacks have utilised Carter at fullback in the defence. Hell they still shift him out to the wing when they're on their own goal line.

Most teams flyhalves drop back into fullback when the fullback has been brought into play.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think we'll see a bit of JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper swapping, but doubt there'll be any crazy shuffling.

The highball target will most often be Digby, anyway, because he's the worst under it and not as dangerous as Beale, Cooper or JOC (James O'Connor) when he catches it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I want all of them there. They all offer a lot in counter-attack. I don't buy the furphy that Beale and O'Connor are poor defenders either - Beale in particular has added a lot of starch in defence and does his job well. I just fail to see the logic that we might have to leave one out so that Quade doesn't have to bother with defending. It's laughable.

Where did I suggest we leave one of them out?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think it'll be a situational thing. Cooper is one of the best players under the high ball in Australia - probably only behind Genia, which is a damn good reason to have him defend at fullback. The reality is though any of the 3 players mentioned can cut through defensive lines on the counterattack, but in each situation you'd want to have at least 2 of them back. Let's all keep in mind that there isn't going to be a fixed "Cooper is always doing this, Beale is always doing that" rule applied to the Wallabies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
My gut says JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Cooper and Ioane are in the starting 15 for the wallabies, therefore Deans has little option but to drop Cooper back in defense. If Link had made him play in the line all season and he had improved there might be options, but on past form defending at 10 and now 12 months more of being hidden in defense, it forces Deans hand somewhat. To push him up into the line now would be somewhat foolhardy 5 games out from the RWC.

Nothing against Link, it's his right to use QC (Quade Cooper) as he sees fit, just sometimes thats the way the cookie crumbles, and the silver lining is Coopers counter attacking brilliance.

R

Red Rooster

Anyone wonder why Beale is at fullback and they play Halangahu at 10 at the Tahs??? Beale is a poor defender (so is Halangahu), just like Quade. The difference is that the Reds use Quade as a first receiver and the Tahs dont. Switch you thinking and forget the numbers on their backs. Cooper is at fullback and first receiver and Beale is at fullback - Link always says "dont get confused by the numbers on their backs"

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Actually I see Cooper defending at fullback as a strength of the Reds this year. It clearly works. So what is the problem.

It's win win for the Reds and a well executed tactic. They improve their front line defense, and improve their counter attack/field position kick returns with one simple straight swap losing absolutely nothing. It's clearly more a strategic move than simply Cooper being hidden. That said I think with Beale already at fullback for the Wobs in a similar role, Cooper will defend at 10. He'll be targeted for sure, but with the class around him I don't think he'll be overly exposed to justify him being replaced.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Anyone wonder why Beale is at fullback and they play Halangahu at 10 at the Tahs??? Beale is a poor defender (so is Halangahu), just like Quade. The difference is that the Reds use Quade as a first receiver and the Tahs dont. Switch you thinking and forget the numbers on their backs. Cooper is at fullback and first receiver and Beale is at fullback - Link always says "dont get confused by the numbers on their backs"

Because Beale is a 15 and Hangers is a 10? And despite what you say, Beale and Hangers are much better defenders than Quade. Hangers in particular is a solid tackler.
It's all very well to talk about the numbers not meaning anything, but the problem is the need to switch players around constantly, not whether Quade is a good part-time fullback.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Or you could simply think that if cooper can be an attacking 5/8 and a kick returner from fullback that Beale is not really necessary. And you could go for a defensive Fullback slash 5/8

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's win win for the Reds and a well executed tactic. They improve their front line defense, and improve their counter attack/field position kick returns with one simple straight swap losing absolutely nothing. It's clearly more a strategic move than simply Cooper being hidden. That said I think with Beale already at fullback for the Wobs in a similar role, Cooper will defend at 10. He'll be targeted for sure, but with the class around him I don't think he'll be overly exposed to justify him being replaced.
I wouldn't replace him. I would hope someone in the Wallaby coaching staff take him aside and point out that apparently he can tackle, so now would be a good time to do it more often. That's really all I'm getting at.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Or you could simply think that if cooper can be an attacking 5/8 and a kick returner from fullback that Beale is not really necessary. And you could go for a defensive Fullback slash 5/8

On the evidence of last night, dropping Beale would seem to be a pretty silly move.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

So you drop arguably the best 15 in the world to accommodate a 10 that can't do his job in defence?
There have been hints this year that QC (Quade Cooper) can actually do his job in defence. Let him sink or swim, if he tackles everyone wins, if he doesn't then pick someone who will tackle at 10.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Because Beale is a 15 and Hangers is a 10? And despite what you say, Beale and Hangers are much better defenders than Quade. Hangers in particular is a solid tackler.
It's all very well to talk about the numbers not meaning anything, but the problem is the need to switch players around constantly, not whether Quade is a good part-time fullback.

His tackle last night on Adam Thompson to put him out over the touch line was perfect. Hangers is a perfect fit for the Tahs defensive systems.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I disagree. Hangers defense against the Crusaders and Sharks this year was very poor.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)

ive seen hangers fall off too many tackles for this to be true>
i can think of two tries that have come through his channel just in the last few games> and ive seen many more
beales defense is a lot better than his debut season everyone seems to be remembering> i think he can do the job of defending @ 10 which allows quade to take 15>>

Status
Not open for further replies.