• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 19th August, ANZ Stadium Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Some thoughts.

Did anyone notice that every time there was a scrum with the Wallabies' feed, the ABs'front row hit the deck and forced a reset or two? And not once did they go down when it was the ABs' feed? Absolutely cynical play deserving a YC, possibly to the whole three of them.

My worst predictions about the defensive capabilities of this side were realised in that first half. Unforgivable that a Wallaby coach should ever consider playing three incompetent tacklers in the 10, 12 and 13 spots. Even worse to think that their frailties can be glossed over by shifting the backline around in defense.

The backrow was completely outgunned. None of Hanigan, Hooper or McMahon are test worthy, at least in the positions and roles they had to play tonight. McMahon just might offer more at No 7 than at No 8 and probably more in the conventional way than Hooper. Otherwise, Hardwick probably should come in to the 7 spot until Pocock returns.

Timani must start at No 8. He is a bit like Palu in that he doesn't carry nearly as good as he should given his size, but his defense at 8 is a positive. Then a good jumper is needed at 6. Who, in the absence of Fardy?

Rob Simmons again showed his powder puff attributes when he came on. Missed tackles, dropped balls and lost ground with ball in hand. Bring in someone like Rodda please.

Will Genia and Nick Phipps both failed to add any glory to their respective stories.

Somehow, we need to get a selector or panel willing to make the hard decisions to make a few team changes, and then get a coaching panel wwith some nous to put a game plan together. We don't have either atm.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
They actually look much better with TK running hard and straight outside Beale. Kerevis test career is over.
Well, i wouldn't say it's over, but he's got an awful lot to improve before he gets another run.

If we were to apply specific deficiencies as reasons to never play guys again, then I'm afraid there would not be a single Australian rugby player left to select at the moment.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
As to Hooper, as a captain he is entitled to question the decision of a referee, particularly when the offense is a clearly cardable one. Phipps's call was certainly not warranted or helpful, and Hooper could have acknowledged that with the referee. He didn't, instead he totally backed down and apologised to the ref, rather than engage in dialogue.

What PP did was both unprofessional and insulting. Barnes felt a need to call him out twice and continue with it after play had moved on. Hooper may be entitled to question but would have been a very dumb move. Barnes was clearly personally insulted and could have easily reversed it and sent PP off. Australia captains already have a hard enough time dealing with refs.

There is a time and a place for everything. That wasn't it.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting that all the discussion post game has been focussed on the backs.
Yet a few regulars here deride posts about back selections - after all the game will be won or lost in the forwards.
Perhaps not when your midfield leaks like a seive.
The tight 5 did their job. Set piece was good.
Timani added some starch and balance to the back row.
Beale and folau are about the only starting backs I'd keep in the side.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
We need to find or make a new 10

How about these players who want to be paid to play the game go back and play week in week out at club level and actually learn to pass, kick, run a support line etc to earn the money they are getting. I've no doubt they are the best available, but not one of them is better today in any aspect of their skill execution than they were on the first day I saw them play. Folau still can't kick (there fore doesn't have the skills required to be an international 15), Foley cannot reliably execute a clearing kick (what is that 4 or 5 tries from charge downs in 12 months?), Phipps has an inconsistent pass.

What have Australian coaches done for the past 5 years, not just the test ones but the Super ones as well? Take plenty of cash, but where are demonstrated results. I am sure they train well.......

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well, i wouldn't say it's over, but he's got an awful lot to improve before he gets another run.

If we were to apply specific deficiencies as reasons to never play guys again, then I'm afraid there would not be a single Australian rugby player left to select at the moment.

He was horrible in attack and his defense was shocking. If TK had started there is no way we would have been down 40 at half time. Kervei was at fault in the first 3 tries. He is there for his attack but the Wallabies looked so much better with the ball in hand when TK was outside of Foley and Beale.
Our defensive frailties in the mid-field began when Kerevi was introduced against England last year. I hate to point the finger at one player but he is a huge all around problem for this side.
Beale/TK next week with Hodge on the bench.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only summary Iv come up with from this game is it wouldn't surprise me if this was the last time we see Moore in the Wallabies. It's almost like playing with 14 men out there, his ability to move off the line or track in defense is causing so many issues in other areas of the field. If anyone is brave enough to watch the replay, closely watch Moore and the havoc he causes the defensive line and his players having to cover filling space for him.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't think there is any point watching any rugby the All blacks are involved with anymore. It's just not worth it. The result is already known. It's getting boring. How are they so dominant and for so long?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Only summary Iv come up with from this game is it wouldn't surprise me if this was the last time we see Moore in the Wallabies. It's almost like playing with 14 men out there, his ability to move off the line or track in defense is causing so many issues in other areas of the field. If anyone is brave enough to watch the replay, closely watch Moore and the havoc he causes the defensive line and his players having to cover filling space for him.

Seriously??
There were so many massive problems with the Wallabies in that game and you single out Moore?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He was horrible in attack and his defense was shocking. If TK had started there is no way we would have been down 40 at half time. Kervei was at fault in the first 3 tries. He is there for his attack but the Wallabies looked so much better with the ball in hand when TK was outside of Foley and Beale.

Our defensive frailties in the mid-field began when Kerevi was introduced against England last year. I hate to point the finger at one player but he is a huge all around problem for this side.

Beale/TK next week with Hodge on the bench.

You realise the defence was just as bad when Horne was at 13. It just isn't Kerevi, its the crap systems. The same crap systems and attitudes that saw the Tahs end with their worst ever defensive record. 50 missed tackles in a test match. That isn't just Kerevi.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Is anything better today than the day Mckenzie left? Or deans, for that matter?

We are closer to actually addressing the real problems? People are now actually talking about the fundamental lack of skills in our players?

ARU doesn't have to worry about counting how much money is in the bank?

That's it I think.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think there is any point watching any rugby the All blacks are involved with anymore. It's just not worth it. The result is already known. It's getting boring. How are they so dominant and for so long?

What are you on about the Lions gave them a fair good go only a couple months ago. Ireland beat them recently too.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
What are you on about the Lions gave them a fair good go only a couple months ago. Ireland beat them recently too.
The lions. It's 4 country's. In one. That doesn't count. It's once every 12 years.

Ireland yes but it was a once off fluke.

So you will tune in next week and the week after untill they finally lose a game after 20 or so wins

It's just the same thing every weekend.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
You're high if you think that swapping in a player or two is going to improve our defence to the point where we are competitive. This isn't the NFL- rugby defence needn't be complicated but there's something horribly wrong what the players are being asked to do. I'd guess that Grey is almost exclusively responsible for defence and that his credentials consist solely of being ugly and a good tackler when he played. He's presumably a good bloke and slightly rough around the edges, which seems to be the primary attribute for obtaining a coaching position

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We are closer to actually addressing the real problems? People are now actually talking about the fundamental lack of skills in our players?

ARU doesn't have to worry about counting how much money is in the bank?

That's it I think.

I blame coaching more then skill. Take a look at England and Eddie Jones, same players were just as bad in their home RWC and completely turned it around with a new coach.

The Reds skill was high under McKenzie, as soon as he left, same players completely fell apart.

Sure there is a clear skill difference between NZ and Aus - but not 50+ points. This coach is playing the same one-dimensional game-plan and just rotating different unworthy players. It's ridiculous.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The lions. It's 4 country's. In one. That doesn't count. It's once every 12 years.

Ireland yes but it was a once off fluke.

So you will tune in next week and the week after untill they finally lose a game after 20 or so wins

It's just the same thing every weekend.

True. England V All Blacks would be nice viewing at the moment though. I'd say All Blacks by 10 only.

Status
Not open for further replies.