• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Other thoughts on the game. Think the replacement of Cruden was crucial. When Slade came on, he seemed to give a new dimension to the All Blacks play and the Wallabies appeared to have trouble adjusting.

Also thought the press conferences were 'interesting' and particuarly noticeable for me was the respective press conference line-ups. The Wallabies version featured Deans, Elsom, Sharpe and Shiteau and was very painful, dare I say even tortuous, and full of the usual Deans speak from all involved. The ABs however had the three coaches and The Cheat. When Wayne Smith was asked about Cruden's poor kicking, instead of coming out with some management mumbo jumbo speak, he admitted it was a problem area and needed to be worked on. Why cant Deans and his crew take that approach? Where were the Wallabies coaches hiding? Why werent they there to be accountable?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Other thoughts on the game. Think the replacement of Cruden was crucial. When Slade came on, he seemed to give a new dimension to the All Blacks play and the Wallabies appeared to have trouble adjusting.

Also thought the press conferences were 'interesting' and particuarly noticeable for me was the respective press conference line-ups. The Wallabies version featured Deans, Elsom, Sharpe and Shiteau and was very painful, dare I say even tortuous, and full of the usual Deans speak from all involved. The ABs however had the three coaches and The Cheat. When Wayne Smith was asked about Cruden's poor kicking, instead of coming out with some management mumbo jumbo speak, he admitted it was a problem area and needed to be worked on. Why cant Deans and his crew take that approach? Where were the Wallabies coaches hiding? Why werent they there to be accountable?

The Cruden replacement says a lot. Yeah, we were trying to be entertaining and have some fun..but OK, we're just going to go ahead and win the fucking game now, thanks for coming.

I hate Deans speak. I think he doesn't understand the Aussie mentality. We don't need a tree hugging hippie. We need someone blunt who'll get in people's faces and fire a rocket up them. There's a problem, address it, don't dance about the elephant in the room.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just watched the incident on replay...

How did the refs friggin miss this?!!?

10:42 into the second half Genia chips the ball forward and Nonu comes flying in and just clobbers Giteau around the head! Giteau never even had the ball...

What the hell is Nonu thinking?!

Surely the Kiwis can't dodge such another blatant citing... that SHOULD be a few weeks right there for Nonu...

PS Sorry if this has already been covered but I haven't been through the thread... I"m just shocked by the inadequate officiating and how an act of blatant foul play can go unpunished (so far)...

Hasn't been covered. I saw it too and thought it was pretty poor. Nonu was rattled and didn't have much of an impact, he fired up an McCalman after getting cleared out from a ruck at some point too.

I think I can safely speak for pretty much everyone here in saying I'll be very, very surprised if anything comes of it.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Crazy match. On the whole i thought Lawrence was great, commanded the match well. For all those going on about Mccaw detatch etc, lest u forget that u scored a try from a scrum awarded for a non existent knock on..

I'm 90% sure it was given for a forward pass.

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)
Clearly unbound before the ball was out but WTF was JOC (James O'Connor) doing?

As Read picked the ball up JOC (James O'Connor) went straight in onto him (he was covered by Rocky) and left McCaw unmarked. Since MaCaw started his run before Read how can O'Conner leave him like that?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Clearly unbound before the ball was out but WTF was JOC (James O'Connor) doing?

As Read picked the ball up JOC (James O'Connor) went straight in onto him (he was covered by Rocky) and left McCaw unmarked. Since MaCaw started his run before Read how can O'Conner leave him like that?

He didn't trust his inside defender

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yet the SMH have rated O'Connor the best winger of the tournament.... what the fuck?!

SMH rugby journos displaying head-up-arse syndrome; and you are surprised? They're like Pavlov's dogs, he looks pretty and scores a few tries, therefore must be the goods and they salivate accordingly. The only thing Growden knows about wings is how many come in a KFC bucket.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
SMH rugby journos displaying head-up-arse syndrome; and you are surprised? They're like Pavlov's dogs, he looks pretty and scores a few tries, therefore must be the goods and they salivate accordingly. The only thing Growden knows about wings is how many come in a KFC bucket.

ZING!!!...er

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yet the SMH have rated O'Connor the best winger of the tournament.... what the fuck?!

Was this our mate Growdens assessment, or that of one of his underling writers, because he is the CHIEF RUGBY CORRESPONDENT for that august paper.

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)

To be fair, their tournament team says Jane as top winger and O'Conner 2nd. JOC (James O'Connor) not a stand out for me but no one else is either so that a freebie for them. If they've got there head up there arses its picking 11 ABs, 4 Wallabies and no Saffas. Surely SA werent that bad?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
OK, since we're all just throwing shit out there in frustration, I'll do my bit.

1. Genia. Was very good last week. Was very bad this week. This has happened a bit now. I think the guy is not comfortable when the ruck is in trouble. Or maybe, the effort to clear the ball from difficult rucks is impeding his thinking quickly enough about the next one. I think it's a mental / confidence / technique issue which can be addressed by a skills coach at training. But will it?

2. Cooper. The guy is taking the piss with his "defence". I haven't seen his stats but I reckon he got about 5 from 10. Need to get serious about this or dropped. I would drop him even though I though he played a beautiful game, including some of the best field kicking we've had since Lynagh.

3. Giteau. He had a bad game generally, and his place kicking went to pieces after missing two. We need a kicking coach. I think we need to have JOC (James O'Connor) and Ant press for the 12 jersey. For the past 3 seasons, Gits has been a flat track bully, scoring solo tries against Italy but stuffing up our backline when he can't get through.

4. Lawrence. I was taking a special interest since we know he saw my video. I was very disappointed in his imaginary "daylight" rulings, especially when it was NOT applied to the Blacks once, despite people like Smith playing the directly ball in the tackle. My only other complaint is that it is clear that the All Black strategy is to infringe in their own 22. Another game where they are penalised every single time we get down there (on one occasion 3 times in a row) and the ref is nowhere near a yellow card, not even a warning. Aside from that, he got quite a lot wrong for both sides but allowed an attractive sort of game.

Despite losing AGAIN, we actually would have won the game if Gits had kicked one more. In fact, in most ways we played better this week than last week. I think people on this forum were too generous with the Wallabies last week and not generous enough this week.

I disagree Scarfie, it was actually 4 times in a row. I think it was even four consecutive rucks. Hard to believe he didn't warn after that one.

I think the ABs tactic is the infringe in their own 30m, but particularly in the first half. They tend to hold off a bit more in the second, and when the other team then infringes they run just as big a risk at getting a yellow.

When Rocky questioned the ref about constant infringements and Lawerence answered 'that is 3 for them and 2 for you', I couldn't help but yell 'bullshit' at the tv. The ABs should have had a yellow card against them in the lead up to half time when they infringed a few more times in their 22.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
can we have an update on the old penalties conceded v. yellow cards graph?

just out of interest's sake....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought it was interesting that when Elsom had a whinge, Lawrence went to the office to check, the the penalties were pretty even. It did take into account the 4 advantages early, but I am sure Aus had their moments as well

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
How many thought at the tome that McCaw had broken too early rather a bad read by JOC (James O'Connor) in defence?

Just looking at Fox replay and not a peep out of the brains trust on Richie's early break.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
How many thought at the tome that McCaw had broken too early rather a bad read by JOC (James O'Connor) in defence?

Just looking at Fox replay and not a peep out of the brains trust on Richie's early break.

It happened right in front of me and seeing it live, it was clear that something suss had happened. There is no way a #7 can get that laterally clear away from the scrum in that timeframe without breaking early. What pisses me off is that it happened right in front of Lawrence who didnt see it or if he did, didnt think it had happened!

Watching the replay this morning with some cussy bro mates, they also made the point that the Fox Sports brains trust didnt make any comments on the incident. Perhaps shows just how insightful they are..... :fishing

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It happened right in front of me and seeing it live, it was clear that something suss had happened. There is no way a #7 can get that laterally clear away from the scrum in that timeframe without breaking early. What pisses me off is that it happened right in front of Lawrence who didnt see it or if he did, didnt think it had happened!

Watching the replay this morning with some cussy bro mates, they also made the point that the Fox Sports brains trust didnt make any comments on the incident. Perhaps shows just how insightful they are..... :fishing

I think because the attacking team breaking early never gets called, or extremely rarely. Only ever seems to be the defence. I guess they watch the defending loosies closer.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I sent a text to a mate straight after it and he agreed. Stupid commentators on fox didn't pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.