• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina @ CommBank Stadium 7.45pm Sat 15/07

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Shake off the Bokkies loss and move on. Two teams thoroughly spanked looking for a comeback, two teams have a tight turn around to travel across oceans and many time zones. Not very long to do big alterations and try new combinations. Two teams coached by fiery Australians.

I was about to say "I expect Eddie to do X" but I have no clue what he's gonna do. IMO don't do wholesale changes, it was similar to the team that beat SA last year. We stick and pick. Quade needs another game, run Carter on at the 50th minute if you think he needs it. If you need a crazy harebrained Eddie move, put Gleeson at 7. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pete Samu start, he looked good when he came on.

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Skelton
6. Valetini
7. Gleeson
8. Leota
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Uelese
17. Bell* or Gibbon
18. Tupou* or Talakai
19. Frost
20. Hooper
21. McDermott
22. Gordon
23. Hodge

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon Eddie will shake things up - I have a feeling he's viewing the SA and Arg games as testbeds for the Bled and WC.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
1. Slipper
2. Faessler
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Skelton
6. Leota
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Porecki
17. Bell
18. Tupou
19. Frost
20. Gleeson
21. McDermott
22. Cooper
23. Petaia

- Good opportunity to give Faessler a crack, none of the other hookers have put their hand up so what's to lose?
- Think we need Leota or Holloway at 6, thinking Leota will get us over the gain line better.
- Give Carter Gordon a solid 55-60 Mins and then let Quade ice the game.
- Fingers crossed Bell/ Tupou/ Gleeson/ Petaia are fit, think they will provide some much needed impact.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
it's very hard suggesting a team when I have no idea what Eddie Jones might be looking for from this game.

For instance, I'd like to see Quade have another start but not if Eddie is sticking with his kicking game plan. We all saw how that panned out on the weekend. If he wants a more running game, then Quade should get another chance, but in any variation of the play with no ball plan, then lets unleash Carter on the game.

Another unknown will be whether any of the A team might come in instead of heading off to Samoa. Players like Neville, Lachie Lonergan, Wilkins and Fainga'a would likely perform better than their counterparts did against SA.

So, without any of these answers, my preferred team would be:

Bell, Lonergan, Tupou, Frost, Neville, Holloway, McReight, Valetini, White, Cooper, Koroibete, Kerevi, Ikatau, Petaia, Wright.
Fainga'a, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Leota, Lonergan, Gordon, Kellaway

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
it's very hard suggesting a team when I have no idea what Eddie Jones might be looking for from this game.

For instance, I'd like to see Quade have another start but not if Eddie is sticking with his kicking game plan. We all saw how that panned out on the weekend. If he wants a more running game, then Quade should get another chance, but in any variation of the play with no ball plan, then lets unleash Carter on the game.

Another unknown will be whether any of the A team might come in instead of heading off to Samoa. Players like Neville, Lachie Lonergan, Wilkins and Fainga'a would likely perform better than their counterparts did against SA.

So, without any of these answers, my preferred team would be:

Bell, Lonergan, Tupou, Frost, Neville, Holloway, McReight, Valetini, White, Cooper, Koroibete, Kerevi, Ikatau, Petaia, Wright.
Fainga'a, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Leota, Lonergan, Gordon, Kellaway
I don't think he will bring new players into the squad for this game unless there is a gaping hole that needs too be filled. He'll likely just sit out the blokes he doesn't want another look out, those ones probably being Uelese, Nongorr, T Hooper and Vunivalu. The potential omission of Nongorr might bring No Nek or Faumasilli into contention if Tupou is still not right, but that would likely be the only addition to the squad barring injuries we haven't heard about. He will then revise the squad for the Bledisloe based on this game and the Aus A v Tonga one.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well the boys have come back pretty hot quick. They're already in Sydney. 3.5 days of good training then.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm concerned Eddie's hubris may cloud his judgement regarding Vunivalu and Uelese...

After several years of poor form both players dished up what everyone else seemingly expected on the weekend...

Now, I can tolerate left field selections and thirty point drubbings at altitude ... but if Eddie responds to another interview with "haha, cattle prod mate!" - I am fucking done.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Can't disagree with that Slim. As far as I'm concerned EJ (Eddie Jones) is on probation until he can prove he's got a coherent game plan backed up with selections.

I can live with some experimental calls this year, to assess suitability. What I won't be able to live with is a pig headed determination to stay on a path that isn't working, rather like his last 12-18 months in charge with England.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Uelese, Nongorr, and Vunivalu I can understand and hope not to see them in Wallaby gold again. Tom Hooper had a more than adequate debut against a top ranked side; did his job at the lineout, was as good as any other ball in hand and missed one tackle in an otherwise good defensive performance. Others say two tackles missed, but the first of those he had already confronted the inside player forcing the pass to the player outside whom he then attempted to tackle. He managed to get hand contact but if he'd misse6d altogether nobody would be suggesting a missed tackle. Fact is that he was the only Wallaby to attempt to stop two players in possession.
I don't think he will bring new players into the squad for this game unless there is a gaping hole that needs too be filled. He'll likely just sit out the blokes he doesn't want another look out, those ones probably being Uelese, Nongorr, T Hooper and Vunivalu. The potential omission of Nongorr might bring No Nek or Faumasilli into contention if Tupou is still not right, but that would likely be the only addition to the squad barring injuries we haven't heard about. He will then revise the squad for the Bledisloe based on this game and the Aus A v Tonga one.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Uelese, Nongorr, and Vunivalu I can understand and hope not to see them in Wallaby gold again. Tom Hooper had a more than adequate debut against a top ranked side; did his job at the lineout, was as good as any other ball in hand and missed one tackle in an otherwise good defensive performance. Others say two tackles missed, but the first of those he had already confronted the inside player forcing the pass to the player outside whom he then attempted to tackle. He managed to get hand contact but if he'd misse6d altogether nobody would be suggesting a missed tackle. Fact is that he was the only Wallaby to attempt to stop two players in possession.

Definitely 3 missed tackles for T Hooper...

There was the one I mentioned (edit: Wallabies thread) where he made a tackle, and then attempted to tackle a second player in succession...

And then the other two came from getting skinned on the outside, and then the inside by the Boks' backs... but it came down to the team's poor defensive structures and not having enough cover down the left side, and then not long afterwards having no one on the other side of the field to stop them from scoring a try.

I wouldn't lump Nonggorr in with Uelese and Vunivalu though.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes, I wasn't talking about 'never again' for these players, only that they probably had to show something special to make it to France. T Hooper and Nonggorr are definitely ones for the future, I wasn't meaning to write them off forever.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Definitely 3 missed tackles for T Hooper...

There was the one I mentioned where he attempted to tackle a second player in succession...

And then the other two came from getting skinned on the outside, and then the inside by the Boks' backs... but it came down to the team's poor defensive structures and not having enough cover down the left side, and then not long afterwards having no one on the other side of the field to stop them from scoring a try.

I wouldn't lump Nonggorr in with Uelese and Vunivalu though.
Is that middle missed tackle you refer to the one where Libbok steps him and he doesn't even get a hand to him?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is that middle missed tackle you refer to the one where Libbok steps him and he doesn't even get a hand to him?

Quite possibly... I recall he got skinned on the outside by the Boks' winger (?), and then the second one must've been Libbok stepping back inside through a giant hole in the defence.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Quite possibly... I recall he got skinned on the outside by the Boks' winger (?), and then the second one must've been Libbok stepping back inside through a giant hole in the defence.
Yeah it didn't look great by Tom but he was out at sea there, Libbok had so much space & time. Hopefully our defensive system is only a few trainings away from clicking..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Uelese, Nongorr, and Vunivalu I can understand and hope not to see them in Wallaby gold again. Tom Hooper had a more than adequate debut against a top ranked side; did his job at the lineout, was as good as any other ball in hand and missed one tackle in an otherwise good defensive performance.

He's credited with two tackles made and three missed. I agree that some of the missed tackles were not entirely his fault because we weren't lined up well but he was also there and didn't make the tackle.

He's credited with one carry for no metres.

He was good in the lineout.

I think Tom Hooper absolutely has a future in gold. I just doubt it will be this season. With Holloway and Leota as the other options I think this was very much an audition to see if he could sneak his way into the RWC squad rather than him being the first choice that Jones will work around as a consistent selection in his best side. That's obviously also dependent on his shoulder. It's never good when a person with a history of shoulder injuries has to leave the field though.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
I can understand come of Eddie’s selections. He is trying to show a point of difference compared to Rennie with selections and picking some different options! However these didn’t really work! Hooper and nongurr not ready yet but will get better and Suli did not deserve the jersey and showed why playing himself out of contention! I would pick daugunu before Suli

the big challenge for Eddie is how he bounces back and fixes the mistakes, errors and parts to the game we need to fix from last week! This is what Rennie did not have the ability to do, continuing the make the same mistakes, errors and penalties week after week

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

you're ready to throw a 22 year old prop away on the back of a 16 minute appearance off the bench v the World Champions in Pretoria?

Remarkable....