• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina @ CommBank Stadium 7.45pm Sat 15/07

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Question re defensive halfback position at scrums - I thought this year we had a law change so that the defending 9 couldn't hang around the back of the scrum to disrupt the 9 who had fed the scrum. Was that just a Super Rugby law change? Asking because White was all over the Argie halfback at scrum time.
That was just in Super rugby

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Man for man is just a generalization but Boffelli is a perfect example. He’s not incredible on his feet, he’s not powerfully explosive, he’s not ridiculously quick. He’s obviously very good at these things but compared to Wright he’s not as “gifted” however he is so smart in his decision making and
It looks like you are describing Kellaway. He isn't a gifted athlete but he's a smarter rugby player than Wright

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This was hilarious lmfao. Can’t even cook the crowd numbers properly
The 15k number is right - it was half full

Easy justification to never play there again. When the next Test at the SFS draws 18k, RA will be all like

giphy.gif

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
?

I think people must be watching a different game to me. Porecki won't be making a best in the world team, but his performances are far from poor. I think if you actually watch him a bit more closely he's a lot more industrious than the picture people seem to paint. Similarly with the criticism of AAA in this game.
What do you think of Eddie's decision to leave Dave out there for upwards of 70 minutes, Molman? Did it indicate a lack of confidence in Uelese, perhaps? And if so, why have Uelese in the 23 instead of Faessler who hasn't yet had a run and likely won't against the ABs. Or if he does, he is on a hiding to nothing, would you agree?

Otherwise, I fully support your view of Allan Ala'alatoa. His best game in quite a while.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
It’s why I’m on the Kellaway to 15 bandwagon.
Boffelli has a big advantage over Kellaway at fullback. Both could be at the same level but Boffelli plays at 15 in Edinburgh and in his national team. Too much time playing there. Meanwhile Kellaway plays at the centre in Melbourne and didn't get many chances at 15 in WBs

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What do you think of Eddie's decision to leave Dave out there for upwards of 70 minutes, Molman? Did it indicate a lack of confidence in Uelese, perhaps? And if so, why have Uelese in the 23 instead of Faessler who hasn't yet had a run and likely won't against the ABs. Or if he does, he is on a hiding to nothing, would you agree?

Otherwise, I fully support your view of Allan Ala'alatoa. His best game in quite a while.
It could have but Porecki was playing well and I always say why take a player off if he is going well. I doubt Faessler would have got more of a run in the same circumstances. I actually want the old days back when you could only make a sub if there was a genuine injury.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
What the fuck does that even mean?
Having great natural ability : talented

- He's an extremely gifted student/athlete.

- Quite clearly, there was a gifted athlete in their midst, but was he a sufficiently rounded rugby player?
(Times, Sunday Times)

I'm teaching English to native speakers. My English teachers would be so proud of me lol

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the upside of Mark Nawaqanitawase has been well shown. Yeah, he's not perfect but he adds a LOT.
Wright made a huge effort to score that try but undid a lot of that good-will thereafter. Not sure I'd bin him but he needs refining.
I thought Holloway was pretty good, would keep the back-row.
Cooper was OK, not great, but OK. I think Perese needs to come in to 13, Kellaway to 15 if a change must happen. I think Philip could be moved up at Arnold's expense. McReight not really allowed much latitude - not going to judge him on that, he looked like Robinson Crusoe at times at the breakdown.
Pleased with Bell's shift after injury.
Oh, and a fail from the tactical POV for the coaching brains-trust so a kick in the arse for all of them.
Very much an accurate summary Cyclo. Mark's involvements in attack and at the restarts more than make up for some iffy tackling.

Tom Wright was a lot better than many on here are bemoaning with calls to drop him immediately in favour of players who probably are still on the injured list. Other than one unforced knock on, what other infringements/errors did he make?

Holloway is excellent at 6.

I think Carter Gordon is now a better selection at 10 than Quade, but I'm not sure Quade fits the bill as a finisher. Still a spot that hasn't yet been nailed down.

Fraser was a step up, but I'd still like to see someone like Leota or Kemeny given a run at 7 to see if that makes any overall difference to the forwards.

I am on the verge of giving up on Eddie and his Assistants. I reckon he's a man out of his time, and if he's making players feel scared as Mitchell says, then he's not going to lead them to any substantial successes. Nothing good can be said about his Assistants based on the two games so far.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

- Quite clearly, there was a gifted athlete in their midst, but was he a sufficiently rounded rugby player?
(Times, Sunday Times)

I'm teaching English to native speakers.
My English teachers would be so proud of me lol

Go help us.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kellaway is a very gifted player and he invariably takes the right option. He has a an excellent footy brain and the speed and skill to back it up. We need a few more like him in the side. It would make a massive difference In the discipline stakes and cutting out the 50-50 offloads. Flook is another and if Ikitau is not available they should look at him for 13.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think Carter Gordon is now a better selection at 10 than Quade, but I'm not sure Quade fits the bill as a finisher. Still a spot that hasn't yet been nailed down.
How can Carter Gordon have demonstrated he’s better selection that Quade when he’s played 10 for all of 10 minutes and played 12 for 70? You might be showing some bias BR.

What he has shown is that he will in time be a very capable test player, and probably has versatility to play at 12 and 15. I said a week ago that he would already be better option in these positions than Hodge and proved true- he showed more in 70 minutes than Hodge has in 4 years.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
Doesn’t come down to the ref - too many mistakes - too much I’ll discipline - too many forward reserves but it’s effectively a trial so cop it, lots to improve - may not even get out of our pool at this rate
Agree on the 6/2 bench, strategically dumb.
BUT I know the penalty count was hugely against us - but show me where these penalties are actually a result of poor discipline, I can think of only one which was the diving exhibition resulting in reversed penalty for retaliation, apart from that we had me\any many penalties in the grey zone which all went against the W's. The language from the TMO and Ref was very odd and did sound conspiratorial. In a close game consistent refereeing is critical and it was completely absent tonight. The application of Law was completely different depending on which team - example Arg first points. -TMO penalty for which no evidence can be found on multiple replays, last score Arg try, no review on play despite the match situation and loud request from Aus captain! There are many many other inconsistencies that had a huge impact on the game.
To say that the result was a discipline issue is glib at best and grossly inaccurate at worst. Arg dominated possession not because they were dominant at the breakdown or a set plays (scrum and lineout) which Aus just shaded them in, but because incompetent and or biased officials kept giving them the ball back!

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Tom Wright was a lot better than many on here are bemoaning with calls to drop him immediately in favour of players who probably are still on the injured list. Other than one unforced knock on, what other infringements/errors did he make?
He had two monumental fuckups at crucial points - the knock on, and passing in contact to a player in a worse position than himself, which then led directly to an Argie try.

No one is saying he doesn’t have strengths to his game, but his performance under pressure is consistently horrid. You cannot have 2+ absolute clangers per match at this level. He is on the wrong side of ‘big moments’ far, far too often.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
Still dirty over that final TMO interjection that saw Quade pinned - he called is asking to check gold 12. Then Peyper said 12 ok but 10 high

Granted Quade was high but if you double check most rucks/tackles you'll find something
Yep - really looked and felt like all night the question from Jaco to Marius was "can you find a reason to penalise Aus?"

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I

(Times, Sunday Times)

I'm teaching English to native speakers. My English teachers would be so proud of me lol
I don't think he is referring to the definition of gifted.

More the fact that you said a bloke, who is very clearly a gifted athlete, isn't one.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I

I don't think he is referring to the definition of gifted.

More the fact that you said a bloke, who is very clearly a gifted athlete, isn't one.
I like this definition from Quora:

Since “gifted” implies ability or talent that requires no special effort or training to develop (Such as running speed or sharp eyesight), then it can only be inborn. That would mean the talent came from genetic disposition or being born with physical traits that are particularly necessary to perform in the sport selected by that athlete. In essence, some people are born with the physical traits and abilities that would enable them to be good athletes, while others may have to work exceptionally harder to hone the abilities they have.

Being “gifted” does not guarantee that an athlete will naturally become a star performer; many “gifted” athletes fail to use their talents properly

A good example at current Wallabies squad could be Vunivali. He's a gifted athlete. He's stronger, faster and more explosive than Kellaway. I'm sure he jumps higher too but Kellaway is a smarter player so he's a better defender.

To be a better defender you have to learn the game. Kellaway does it and he's always in the right position to make a good tackle meanwhile Vunivalu loses attention easily.

Vunivalu is a better athlete than Kellaway, he would destroy Kellaway in a 100 metres run but Kellaway is a better rugby player

Vunivalu + Kellaway = Koroibete