• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies with a chance to win 4 straight for the first time in 4 yrs. Argentina desperate to salvage something from this years Championship.

I know there is some talk of resting some players and getting a look at McMahon, but I’d like to see minimal changes. Reward the guys who are getting the job done and build some consistency and combination. Natural attrition will give other players opportunity over time. Some rotation may be required along the way to manage player load but the majority of these guys haven’t played the majority of tests anyway.

Bring Petaia onto the wing for Koroibete. If they back MmcMahon to be our long term 6, then great. But otherwise I’d like to see the same side.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ve been very impressed with Swain, but I wouldn’t have him in front of Philip & Rodda - although Philip needs to stop giving away careless penalties.

Similiarly I like Muirhead, but I’d prefer Tom Wright.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also, I’m happy to back Rennie’s call on McMahon, but I won’t be disappointed if Leota is given a second crack. Seems a bit harsh to play him once then drop him.
I’m a big fan of Robbie, he was fairly quiet but would love him to get another crack. Definitely didn’t put a foot wrong in a winning side.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’ve been very impressed with Swain, but I wouldn’t have him in front of Philip & Rodda - although Philip needs to stop giving away careless penalties.

Similiarly I like Muirhead, but I’d prefer Tom Wright.
Rodda does this shit work and just gets through it Philip had given away alot of penalties.. It be those 3 I just think 3rd game get the young guy another crack.. He is better in tests then super... its like as Neville got hurt he hit a switch... Maybe given Philip a break with Frost on the bench.. Im just looking at depth in a big game it be Philip Rodda .. Swain..

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Also, I’m happy to back Rennie’s call on McMahon, but I won’t be disappointed if Leota is given a second crack. Seems a bit harsh to play him once then drop him.
Yep, Leota looked fine, I'd start him again, ideally. Of course, if McMahon is to play at all, as Rennie intimated, it might be from the bench, which would mean Samu dropping out. And I reckon Samu has been pretty good. Nice problem to have, though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t really see the value of giving Frost a go here. Keep the 3 guys who are in the side. And I’d be starting Philip and Rodda - just tell Philip to cut some of the dumb stuff. Other than the penalties he has been going well.

We have Salakai-Loto still in the mix longer term and if they are bringing Arnold & Skelton in during the EOYT we actually have some good depth at lock.

I thought Frost was very impressive during Super Rugby for his age, but I think he still has some way to go to be test level (IMO). I’d rather they stick to giving experience to Philip, Rodda & Swain.

I guess the test v Japan might be an opportunity, but I just feel like there are at least 6 guys in front of him at this time.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don’t really see the value of giving Frost a go here. Keep the 3 guys who are in the side. And I’d be starting Philip and Rodda - just tell Philip to cut some of the dumb stuff. Other than the penalties he has been going well.

We have Salakai-Loto still in the mix longer term and if they are bringing Arnold & Skelton in during the EOYT we actually have some good depth at lock.

I thought Frost was very impressive during Super Rugby for his age, but I think he still has some way to go to be test level (IMO). I’d rather they stick to giving experience to Philip, Rodda & Swain.

I guess the test v Japan might be an opportunity, but I just feel like there are at least 6 guys in front of him at this time.
Yep happy with all those options, other then that.. Frost is probably the best athlete out of the lot... you probably said the same about Swain getting his debut..

Im happy at lock :)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Of all the players who have played most, Philip is the one I think most needs a rest. Hooper is the one I'd like to give a rest whether or not he "needs" it. James Slipper could also benefit from a game off.

Angus Bell to start next week if Slipper is rested, with probably Scott Sio on the bench again if he's still there.

Rest Philip altogether and start Swain with Rodda in the second row. Nick Frost off the bench. Really, how well off are we for locks these days? Philip has been great, Rodda strong, Swain a revelation (though not to Brumbies fans nor Rugby Reg), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) dependable, Hosea promising, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) knocking on the door (at 6 too - versatile), and Frost maybe the best of the lot in a couple of years. Then we can now call on Arnold and Arnold, Coleman and Skelton.

I really can't see Hooper taking a game off, but if he did it would offer McReight the opportunity to show what he brings to this level of game. I believe he would make his presence felt at the breakdown but it would be good to have confirmation.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yep happy with all those options, other then that.. Frost is probably the best athlete out of the lot... you probably said the same about Swain getting his debut..

Im happy at lock :)
No, I didn’t at all. Frost looks a great future prospect and could well be starting lock by the time of the World Cup, but he isn’t close to Swain’s level at the moment.

We’ve started a lot of guys before they were ready over the last 5-6 years due to necessity. But Dan McKellar himself pointed out it is not good for these guys to push them quicker then they are ready for (ironically I think he was talking about Swain at the time from memory).

I just don’t think Frost is there yet and I don’t see the need to throw him in when we have plenty of guys in front of him who are.

Edit: but, of course, I haven’t seen him since Super TT. If the coaching staff think he’s ready then great. I definitely think he’ll get there in the not too distant future.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Our locking options are shaping up very nicely. Haven't missed LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at all. The workrate of Philip and Rodda is a big improvement on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in my opinion.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Our locking options are shaping up very nicely. Haven't missed LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at all. The workrate of Philip and Rodda is a big improvement on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in my opinion.

I'm not so convinced. Philip and Rodda looked OK, sort of. As an example generally you want the locks taking on the heavy work in traffic and trucking it up. Stats say 5 runs between the pair of them for 5m. Hardly inspiring. In D they took 18 tackles which over 105 tackles (for the team) in total is very decent but I can't remember too many of those being dominant.

And then the line out. Well a rag bag that mostly we sort of got away with, but crazy the amount of opposition throws that we didn't challenge. When they weren't throwing well.

I see these guys as a pass mark. Best. And for Rodda I'm thinking it is a downgrade on where he has been. Swinton I'm OK with if he can learn to remove the red mist.

There must be opportunity in Europe for guys guys like Swinton and Arnold. Our current guys are doing OK. Is that enough?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The problem is they don’t do stats for breakdown involvement where Rodda is doing a mountain of work and which was one of our real problems in the initial internationals.

Philip does plenty of hit ups, as do Slipper, Tupou, Fainga'a & Valetini. And if you remember back to the last World Cup Rodda was being used a lot for ball running and has a good engine for it - but I wouldn’t place him above the guys on the list above. He is being used now in a role to secure break down ball and he seems to be doing that very well.

Agree that our lineout still has some issues and I think needs improvement across the board.

in any case, I still don’t see any of that making a case to give Frost a run at this stage.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not so convinced. Philip and Rodda looked OK, sort of. As an example generally you want the locks taking on the heavy work in traffic and trucking it up. Stats say 5 runs between the pair of them for 5m. Hardly inspiring. In D they took 18 tackles which over 105 tackles (for the team) in total is very decent but I can't remember too many of those being dominant.

And then the line out. Well a rag bag that mostly we sort of got away with, but crazy the amount of opposition throws that we didn't challenge. When they weren't throwing well.

I see these guys as a pass mark. Best. And for Rodda I'm thinking it is a downgrade on where he has been. Swinton I'm OK with if he can learn to remove the red mist.

There must be opportunity in Europe for guys guys like Swinton and Arnold. Our current guys are doing OK. Is that enough?
We have ball runners in basically every other position. I want guys shifting bodies in offensive and defensive rucks.

Lineout was shit, though. I honestly can never tell if it's the hooker or the calls.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We have ball runners in basically every other position. I want guys shifting bodies in offensive and defensive rucks.

Lineout was shit, though. I honestly can never tell if it's the hooker or the calls.
We seemed really easy to read. We fluffed around and fluffed around and then when we finally went up the Argies were already in front.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Don't forget that Argentina do possess a really good lineout........ they also picked off a number of All Blacks throws.

Nope. Don't know about how it went against the ABs and don't care. Their line out was shite on the night. We should definitely have attacked their throws, a seriously missed opportunity.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On a different note, if Petaia does come in it will be interesting how he is used and what his work rate is like compared to Koroibete’s. He has so much potential, but he can be prone to sitting on his wing and not getting involved if the ball doesn’t come to him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think Frost should be handed a jersey just yet, he hasn’t earned it IMO.
I’d keep the same second-row, there will be opportunities to rotate them later in the year with Arnold/Skelton/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) available for selection.

Hooper to potentially get a rest, but big call resting the captain and you dont want to fuel the Argentinas passion anymore if they feel disrespected, which they’re already pushing in the media.