• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Ok, calm down Dan McKellar.
Kellaway clearly had the strongest game out of the back three but I don’t think you can fairly make a call between Wright or Petaia.

I think we genuinely have pretty good depth across both wings (and our starting 9-14 is quality) - it’s still 15 that lets us down.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeap, Kellaway has been our best and most consistent back all international season. Jordan had some good moments in tonights match.

As I said earlier, Wright and Jordan are competing for the same spot. Wright and Kellaway are.
Interesting you say that, because as far as I know both Petaia and Wright usually play 14 for their Super Rugby sides, when they actually play on the wing. Am I mistaken?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Kellaway clearly had the strongest game out of the back three but I don’t think you can fairly make a call between Wright or Petaia.

I think we genuinely have pretty good depth across both wings (and our starting 9-14 is quality) - it’s still 15 that lets us down.
I don’t think Petaia played his best game, but at the same time he wasn’t awful and Wright comes on with 20 to go against tired opposition and did ok without being spectacular. I doubt there was enough there to change things up.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I was also surprisingly impressed with Lonergan(!) - he actually showed good acceleration and some punch with the ball.

Not sure he will ever have the frame/ physicality to compete on the international level but will probably be a handy Super player.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting you say that, because as far as I know both Petaia and Wright usually play 14 for their Super Rugby sides, when they actually play on the wing. Am I mistaken?
Pretty certain Petaia started as a left winger, but played mostly on the right this year.

Petaia was still a bit careless with the ball. He just needs to reign it in a bit. I thought Wright did pretty well and I was happy to see that. But I think one thing being overlooked in your critique is that Petaia is a much better defender than Wright.

Regardless of which side they play, I do feel Wright is more comparable to Kellaway. I think Kellaway showed tonight that the winger/fullback type player doesn’t have to play on the right.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Its probably a fair indication that both prefer the right wing.
I get that, that’s not what I was getting at. Eg Kellaway played wearing 11 in his first 5 tests, 14 tonight, and finished the last 2 at fullback, without actually having 15 on his back, and has played most of the last 2 years at 13. That’s more my point.

And it’s a BR thing that players should only be considered for the Wallabies in the same numbered shirt they wear in soup. Valetini the exception of course ;)

Last edited:

Tex

John Thornett (49)
At the risk of derailing the match thread, I'll put my neck on the line and say Jordan hasn't done enough to warrant a start. I think he has limitless upside potential, but I think he plays like a talented kid whose used to being bigger/faster/more explosive.

That's all subjective. But there are serious questions about his body and ability to play at this level. Lots of injuries, almost every game he's down and speaking to the trainer.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
At the risk of derailing the match thread, I'll put my neck on the line and say Jordan hasn't done enough to warrant a start. I think he has limitless upside potential, but I think he plays like a talented kid whose used to being bigger/faster/more explosive.

That's all subjective. But there are serious questions about his body and ability to play at this level. Lots of injuries, almost every game he's down and speaking to the trainer.
Ah, the malaise of Australian Rugby for the last 18years

Reactions: Tex

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

I don’t think there is any risk of derailing the thread with that, it’s a pretty reasonable and considered commentary. No one is saying Petaia is world class and at the same time no one is saying he should be thrown to the dogs. His potential is clear, looks like his confidence is down. Wright took his opportunity but it’s an unfair comparison. I’m good with giving them both a chance to develop, they have different issues to each other.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Does any body know when/where this game might be replayed? Watched it on 9GEM as I don't have Stan.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I think indeed the bigger concern is Jordy being so injury prone.