• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I personally could agree with those to be dropped, but I'm not sure that Cheika will drop Carter. Think he sees him as a backup to Simmons, and he was brought into the RWC squad late last year. In my view of the world, one of Skelton, Mumm or Douglas (if they are all there atm) would not make the final squad, but again they seem to be Cheika favourites.

If Carter stays Arnold goes IMO. And that's what I think will happen.

Carter and Arnold were the two I was picking between.

With Simmons, Horwill, Coleman, Carter, Arnold and Skelton all there, I think two of these players has to be dropped from the 39 man squad.

I tend to think one of the uncapped locks will be in line for a debut during the series and I think it is more likely to be Arnold on current form and I think he has been playing better than Carter.

I think Skelton will remain because he offers something different.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Out of interest is there some sort of World Rugby requirement that they trim the squad next week? When it is announced, will they actually send the surplus players home straight away?

No doubt Cheika will have a pretty clear idea on the pecking order, but it seems to me there is not a lot of harm in keeping all 39 (or 41, or whatever the number is) players together. If they go at the end of the week, they'll still have plenty of time back with their super squads before super rugby kicks in again.

T

Tip

There's no strict World Rugby requirements regarding training squad numbers unless it's a World Cup.

The Wallabies always have a handful of fringe players to "train against" for Home camps & games. The 30 man squad more means, the manager has paid for 15 hotel rooms somewhere or other.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
The conservative (likely) option I think would be this:
11. Horne, 12 Lilo, 13 Kuridrani, 14 DHP, 15 Folau

The riskier option would be this:

11. Horne, 12. Kerevi/Kuridrani, 13. Folau, 14 Nayaravoro, 15 DHP

Would love to see the 2nd one.

T

Tip

I'd prefer Morahan over every other winger.
He's got speed, and is an out and out finisher. Plus he loves the chip & chase. He's very underrated & suffers playing on the very edge of the sh**cliff force.
If we go with Nayaravoro, England will pack their Johnny Sexton game and come home with the bikkies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Kane Douglas just spotted in camp

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No doubt Cheika will have a pretty clear idea on the pecking order, but it seems to me there is not a lot of harm in keeping all 39 (or 41, or whatever the number is) players together. If they go at the end of the week, they'll still have plenty of time back with their super squads before super rugby kicks in again.

I guess it more comes down to what an effective number of people to work with is.

The Wallabies went into camp slightly earlier than SA or NZ but with a bigger squad. The first week with around 40 players seems more around longer term planning and giving new players an opportunity.

From this weekend on it is about building for a test match.

I'd say the coaches are much more used to running training sessions with a squad of 30 and it is more effective for keeping the players you want involved than having 40 people.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
It will be interesting to see who gets dropped from the squad this weekend.

Ala'alatoa, Hanson, Coleman, Carter, Gill, Palu, Powell, Hodge, Nabuli

why do you assume TPN is number 2 number 2, Hanson has been playing very well, and i think, at least statistically, doing a better job at line out time

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hate to say it as I was pushing Colemans barrow last year, but in the few games I have seen of Arnold recently I think he may have just gotten the nose in front in developing his game. I'd prefer to see either of the new boys before Carter. Carter is a known quantity, a good solid reliable option, but inexplicably his ball handling seems to be worse this year.

Who'd want to be a selector.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The team will be...

2015 RWC 2016 Wallabies

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas Arnold or Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Giteau Beale To'omua Lealiifano
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Tomane Mitchell Speight DHP
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Mumm or Skelton
20. McCalman or McMahon
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi
23. Hunt or Naiyaravoro

Seems strange to have brought Houston back to not play him at all.

Not that I think your team is wrong.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The conservative (likely) option I think would be this:
11. Horne, 12 Lilo, 13 Kuridrani, 14 DHP, 15 Folau

The riskier option would be this:

11. Horne, 12. Kerevi/Kuridrani, 13. Folau, 14 Nayaravoro, 15 DHP

Would love to see the 2nd one.

I'd like to see that bunch in there with Lilo and Kerevi or Kurindrani on the bench alongside Frisby.
They will move Folau around depending on attack and defense and field position one would think no matter what number he has on his back.

edit - I would have Moraghan in there before Naiyinavoro. He offers a lot more in the back 3 and with Folau presumably spending time in the centres.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It might be the carrot, but I just don't see him in the 23 at all...........

Personally, I wouldn't have him near the 40 man squad - Cheika prove me wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

he's come back to play for the Reds. I reckon he'll train with the Wobs, then they will see how he goes with the Reds (assuming he makes the 23) and then consider him for the Rugby Championship and grand Slam tour.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Nah I don't think so. He has signed with the Reds so he will remain an option for next year. And if he isn't picked, logistically it won't affect him at all.

Horwill and Kepu you'd think will certainly be in the 23 given they will have to fly back to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.