• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Fiji, 3pm Sat 10th June, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Six days of prep, some new combinations, and a good hard win. I can't be disappointed with that.

Interesting that someone commented on our lack of a fetcher, or any pilfering. While we didn't get many/any steals, we also hardly gave away a penalty at the ruck. A far cry from last season.

Cheika said in his post-game interview that it was a tactic, to leave pilfering to 'those who were good at it'. It's a trade-off I suppose, but it worked OK today.

Reactions: Epi

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting that someone commented on our lack of a fetcher, or any pilfering. While we didn't get many/any steals, we also hardly gave away a penalty at the ruck. A far cry from last season.

We did some very sound multi-phase defending - even against those fucking offloads - on several occasions. It was a pleasure to see no dickheads in there giving away stupid penalties, then making faces at the ref for pinging them.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I was pretty impressed by Higgers tonight. None of the frills we've seen in the past, just a lot of good hard tackling. Reckon Cheika would like what he saw.

That said, I'm not sold on Hanigan. He was OK, but I can't help thinking Lopeti Timani might bring a bit more physicality to that role. Maybe a bit harsh to judge him after a game though.

The Hunt/Kuridrani nexus could work nicely. It's plenty physical, and should be able to link well with the pace outside. A lot to like about our backs today.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
someone mentioned it was around 13k, and that was pretty good in afl territory. hmmm, if it really is the new worst test crowd in the professional era (previously 14k v argentina @ Gold Coast) then this is embarrassing for a rugby community up in arms about potentially being chopped. Force have set the model for what action should be taken when faced with adversity. I hope people aren't choosing to boycott games in protest, doesn't make sense to me, only hurting your teams bottom line and the ability for that team to afford and attract talent on the field and in the backrooms. (mostly referring to Rebels) but when the Rebels are highlighting their involvement of players in the Oz U20 and Wallabies, then the national team should be supported also.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I was pretty impressed by Higgers tonight. None of the frills we've seen in the past, just a lot of good hard tackling. Reckon Cheika would like what he saw.

That said, I'm not sold on Hanigan. He was OK, but I can't help thinking Lopeti Timani might bring a bit more physicality to that role. Maybe a bit harsh to judge him after a game though.

The Hunt/Kuridrani nexus could work nicely. It's plenty physical, and should be able to link well with the pace outside. A lot to like about our backs today.

Agreed. Posted earlier that we need another big body, Hanigan will be a bit overpowered v scotland. Great prospect and good choice v Fiji and maybe Italy, but leave the big boys to play the big games.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
someone mentioned it was around 13k, and that was pretty good in afl territory. hmmm, if it really is the new worst test crowd in the professional era (previously 14k v argentina @ Gold Coast) then this is embarrassing for a rugby community up in arms about potentially being chopped. Force have set the model for what action should be taken when faced with adversity. I hope people aren't choosing to boycott games in protest, doesn't make sense to me, only hurting your teams bottom line and the ability for that team to afford and attract talent on the field and in the backrooms. (mostly referring to Rebels) but when the Rebels are highlighting their involvement of players in the Oz U20 and Wallabies, then the national team should be supported also.

This was the first Wallabies test in Melbourne that I didn't attend since 2002.

I refuse to reward the cruel incompetence with which this community has been treated this year by giving the ARU more money. If others have acted in kind (and I know a significant number of Rebels fans who have) then that's terrific. I hope the ARU lost a packet.

You can think whatever you like about that but don't you dare call the nature of this community into question until you've been treated how we have.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Well. Harwick was the best off the bench. Got our first steal of the night. He needs to start over hanigen even though he played ok. Genia was a bit slow. Moore was no good off the bench. Hunt I am not sure. He didn't do much wrong and had about 10 attempts at pilfers but got none

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
For mine... Coleman, AAA, Hooper, Foley, Hunt, Kuridrani, Speight and Folau all played reasonably well.

Genia needs to pick up the pace and ditch the box kicks.

DHP has some defensive issues.

Moore was rubbish, Cooper not great, Powell a jittery first test, and the LH side of the scrum had issues for much of the game.

Our general kicking is also still not up to scratch.
Cooper was on for all of 10 minutes, found space for his outside men yet wasn't great? Might be some anti-Cooper bias there. I'm not sold on Speight as a Wallaby, he's never owned his positon and it seems his physicality which might work at Super level just won't be enough at international, where the top wingers can match that plus offer more.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight worked hard off the ball and bagged 2 tries........... would like to see a bit more of him in space but overall a pretty good game

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well. Harwick was the best off the bench. Got our first steal of the night. He needs to start over hanigen even though he played ok. Genia was a bit slow. Moore was no good off the bench. Hunt I am not sure. He didn't do much wrong and had about 10 attempts at pilfers but got none

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I'd actually like to see Hardwick have a run against Scotland with Hanigan on the bench. No reason both cannot be blooded with good minutes.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This was the first Wallabies test in Melbourne that I didn't attend since 2002.

I refuse to reward the cruel incompetence with which this community has been treated this year by giving the ARU more money. If others have acted in kind (and I know a significant number of Rebels fans who have) then that's terrific. I hope the ARU lost a packet.

You can think whatever you like about that but don't you dare call the nature of this community into question until you've been treated how we have.

Precious.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agree its an odd post.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I could not believe it. Surely it is a parody? If it is serious, and more particularly, if it represents a general attitude, I would vote to dump them right now.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Precious.

I don't agree with boycotting Tests because you're pissed off with the ARU - ultimately it hurts rugby in general, I don't think the players deserve to "lose" support, and the rugby bureaucrats will probably not suffer in the least because of it, but it's a glib one-liner to dismiss the feelings of fans who see their team potentially lining up for the chop. In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.