• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Fiji, 3pm Sat 10th June, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't agree with boycotting Tests because you're pissed off with the ARU - ultimately it hurts rugby in general, I don't think the players deserve to "lose" support, and the rugby bureaucrats will probably not suffer in the least because of it, but it's a glib one-liner to dismiss the feelings of fans who see their team potentially lining up for the chop. In my opinion.

I think I gave a pretty good explanation as to why I thought it was a strange way of protesting their position. He accused me of questioning their nature, but I wasn't, I was questioning the tactics. I think protesting by boycotting, as you say, damages rugby for the region in general, it's not specific to the current administrators of the ARU.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think I gave a pretty good explanation as to why I thought it was a strange way of protesting their position. He accused me of questioning their nature, but I wasn't, I was questioning the tactics. I think protesting by boycotting, as you say, damages rugby for the region in general, it's not specific to the current administrators of the ARU.

My post wasn't directed at you at all. It was someone else.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting that someone commented on our lack of a fetcher, or any pilfering. While we didn't get many/any steals, we also hardly gave away a penalty at the ruck. A far cry from last season.

Cheika said in his post-game interview that it was a tactic, to leave pilfering to 'those who were good at it'. It's a trade-off I suppose, but it worked OK today.

The stats support Cheika's comment as the bulk of Ruck Involvements were by the Back Row.
There were few ruck penalties as nobody put the Fiji rucks under any pressure. The Fijiians won 98% of their rucks (94 of 95).

The Back Rowers had 56% of the Defensive Ruck Involvements (Hooper 9; Higgers 6; Hanigan 5; Hardwick 2) but with almost no support.

The Wallabies stood off 56% of the Fijiian rucks with another 36% with only a single involvement. Only 8 rucks had more than 1 Wallaby involved.

The Front Row showed the same absence as in the past with only 22% of Total Rucks.

Of the bench players only Kepu, Arnold and Hardwick had any impact on rucks. Smith had a single ruck involvement in 25 minutes.

Cheika was also talking about work rate.

The work rate of the starting tight 5 at rucks should be a major concern.
(TPN: 11T - 8A/3d; Robertson: 10T - 9A/1D; Carter: 10T - 9A/1D; Alalaatoa: 7T - 7A/0D)

Best Ruck Involvements as follows:
Hanigan: 26Total - 21Attack/5Defence
Hooper: 23T - 14A/9D (Super Rugby av 18A/6D)
Higgers: 18T - 12A/6D
Hunt: 14T - 10A/4D
Coleman: 14T - 14A/0D (Super Rugby av 23A/3D)
Hardwick: 8T - (6A/2D) (14 mins only)

These tactics worked against an opposition who struggled despite having 57% Possession and 63% Territory.

I suggest that the Wallabies need to up the ante against Scotland.

Rucks by Forwards:

2017-06-11_8-13-49.png

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The stats support Cheika's comment as the bulk of Ruck Involvements were by the Back Row.
There were few ruck penalties as nobody put the Fiji rucks under any pressure. The Fijiians won 98% of their rucks (94 of 95).

I will caveat the below with the statement that clearly we will need to lift our performance against the better sides, etc etc etc.

FF (Folau Fainga'a) you say we didn't put the Fiji rucks under any pressure. But did we need to? In the first half, we stood off almost all rucks, and the Fijians kept pounding away for almost no gains. They barely got into our 22.

While we would have loved a turnover, going into 50/50 ruck situations with a Northern Hemisphere ref would have been a dicey mission. Instead we played the percentages and it worked out for us.

As Aussies we are conditioned to seeing a jackal-like backrower over the ball at every ruck, and seeing that as the best way to play. But it's a trade-off, and I reckon that if you look at 2016 it did us more harm than good.

It doesn't mean you stand off every single ruck, but I am pretty happy to see us be far more selective this season, and err on the side of caution at the breakdown.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was not surprised by Cheika's tactics against Fiji as it was similar as that used against Fiji in the RWC 2015.

One key factor missing was Pocock who in that game had 47T - 27A/20D.

Others were: Fardy 27T - 16A/11D, Hooper 20T - 12A/8D and Douglas 19T - 14A/5D and Kuridrani 16T - 13A/3D.

Have no issues with being more selective but have concerns about the low impact and getting our best players injured due to lack of support. Pocock was so often fighting the battle of the breakdown alone.

I'm interested to see what unfolds through the June Tests and TRC.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A very pleasing statistic - the Wallabies conceded 6 penalties yesterday. That's the lowest since the RWC QF against Scotland.

Last year our lowest mark was 8, and the average was about 11 a game. A real area of weakness and I'm glad it seems to have been identified and worked on.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think a key factor will also be working to the interpretations of the refs. Clearly, the NH refs have a somewhat different focus with regards to what they really go hard on. The French ref yesterday (Cru v Lions) was heavy-handed at the scrums - calling penalties early in the piece and often after, with few resets. However, he was less bothered with cynical infringements in the "red zone" which probably would have yielded cards in Super Rugby. Some of the looser interpretations we've become used to in Super Rugby might well be more tightly policed - the contrast between Nick Briant in HURvCHI and later matches was stark.
The Lions for example set strong pillars, often with one or two actually off their feet, and you'd be hard pressed to get much from attacking that. As Barbarian said, not conceding penalties is smart, especially with kickers of, say, Farrell's calibre (and any other NH sharpshooter).
It's going to be interesting to see how all the teams adapt as we see some "new" refs in these Tests - both ours and those in NZ.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Personally I think on that performance Scotland would roll us convincingly. But I'm thinking that Cheika will adjust both his attitude to the starting 15 and the experimental stuff. All worth doing for that last game and gave some good input.

For the sweaties, we need some fetching, we need a MUCH better "balanced" back row, and we need our best front row starting.

I'm not convinced with either Hanigan or Hardwich. For now. Future yes, worthwhile experimenting and find more opportunities but not when its important. Like the Scots.

Also I'm unconvinced with Robertson. Our scrum must be much MUCH better for the Scots.

OTOH I actually thought our L/O is doing well without Simmo. Keep the locks exactly as against Fiji.

I'd bring back Fardy at 6, and hang on to Higgers.

In the backs, I dont get the negativity to Genia. In fact while I have been VERY anti him returning to the Reds, I think I'm changing my mind. Hey he had a box that didnt work. Betcha Powell box stats match this with 10 mins. Will is looking more athletic than I have ever seen.

Hunt was a revelation. Lock him in. Entertaining when Quade was on, but by way of starting Hunt was senior. Amusing relationship there. Thought Hunts defense was awesome. Ditto Foley (I speak as an unadulerated Quade fan). Foley's kicking was Quade_at_his_best esque.

Special mention to Folau, Kuridrani, DHP, and even Speight. Speight must improve but he looks like he is doing just that, and at 100mph.

Revisit the pack for the next game. Sheet home the hairdressing set.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That wasn't a bad first hit out for the year. I think we have a real issue at 12 but not a negative one.

Hunt looked good but him and Hodge are very different players but both quality. Hunt is more dangerous in attack but Hodge brings that fantastic long kicking game including for goal. Cheika will need to work out what he wants.

Love the three locks we have at the moment. TPN is miles ahead of Moore. Love the form he is in. Still plays hard but not like the reckless fool that he used to.

Plenty of positives came out of that game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Regarding boycotting the game. No easy answer here but it is easy to criticize the course of action when your team is not on the chopping block and is guaranteed certainty. Five Star Stu did what he thinks is right and I'm sure he didn't take the decision lightly.

Keep doing what you think is right Stu. Nothing precious about that and that accusation speaks more to the person who made it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Regarding boycotting the game. No easy answer here but it is easy to criticize the course of action when your team is not on the chopping block and is guaranteed certainty. Five Star Stu did what he thinks is right and I'm sure he didn't take the decision lightly.

Keep doing what you think is right Stu. Nothing precious about that and that accusation speaks more to the person who made it.

Show the ARU as much loyalty as they have shown you.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That wasn't too bad from the boys yesterday. We scored some nice tries, changed the angle of attack and really got Izzy into the game. He had the best 80 minutes of footy I've seen from him in a long time and it was great. I thought Hunt has more than decent at 12 as well. The set piece functioned well and Coleman was a beast in the loose. That try Speight scored where the big man came around the corner and hit the flat ball at pace, then offloading to Higgers got me a bit excited I have to say.

There were two issues though: our defence in contact and the numerous offloads Fiji got (I know that's their game but we didn't defend it will) and how careless we were at the breakdown. Now granted the ref allowed them to get away with murder too, but we didn't aim up in the rucks and it showed. Genia, even though he was slow at times, didn't get anywhere enough protection from the forwards. I would have liked to see us pressure their ball a bit more and it doesn't have to be with an out and out fetcher either. I can be with good solid counter ruck. They disrupted our pill and I would have liked to see us do the same.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There is talk about a boycott of the Perth gave v SA. I think that is just hurting ourselves. I would much prefer to see a full house but everyone wearing Force Blue. RugbyWA should almost be handing it out at the gates

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

I'd prefer to see a full house too and to be going myself, but if the ARU ditch the Force I don't know how enthusiastic I will to part with my money. That's an issue for another day though. In the interim it's business as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.