• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be an interesting RC. Wallabies bound to beat the Boks at least at home with all this improvement.

I want to liken it to the Boks' first season under Meyer, where he had a little bit more time than Link and mentioned at the press conference after Brisbane that he feels for McKenzie and that he understands what he (McKenzie) is trying to do and it's only a matter of time before it happens for them (Australia).

Well, it is happening. The All Blacks look as strong as ever and the Boks do not seem any better or any worse than last year so far.

It may be one of those years where it is so very close (think 2004).

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Great game for the most part and a brilliant atmosphere at what was a record crowd at the SFS for rugby - still can't work out why similar numbers didn't turn up in Brisbane. Can say pretty confidently that if this was played at ANZ probably wouldn't have gotten 25k, so good work by the ARU in bringing the game to the fans favourite sydney rugby ground and at everyone's favourite time-slot. Perhaps they ought to take this is a lesson for Melbourne too - the game down there should have been played in similarly fan friendly conditions (day and at AAMI park).

On the game itself, whilst we looked a lot slicker, there were a few troubling signs in the scrum and Foley still looks a little overawed at this level. Skelton and Palu were immense, always getting over the gain line and pulling in defenders. Folau was his usual brilliant best, but all the same I think he needs to straighten and pass earlier at times... There were a couple overlaps that were wasted with him trying to do it all himself. That is being a little pedantic though.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great game for the most part and a brilliant atmosphere at what was a record crowd at the SFS for rugby - still can't work out why similar numbers didn't turn up in Brisbane. Can say pretty confidently that if this was played at ANZ probably wouldn't have gotten 25k, so good work by the ARU in bringing the game to the fans favourite sydney rugby ground and at everyone's favourite time-slot. Perhaps they ought to take this is a lesson for Melbourne too - the game down there should have been played in similarly fan friendly conditions (day and at AAMI park).
Yeah, thought this was quite interesting. Similar when we play in PE here. Take the game to the people.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
From that series;
Hooper will make a great long term captain, stepping in after 2 minutes in the first tests. His leadership in the second (discipline, and taking his team through the full 80). Then the third to really finish it off with an all round display. That chase and tackle off the kick off put his stamp and expectation of commitment on the game, and the team lifted and followed.
That second game, I LOVED IT (as a once off), to know we can play that tactical battle and not leak any points against a tier one team was fantastic.

The coach, how good is it having a coach that looks to win, in the past we've had coaches that have looked at ways not to lose - the results show the difference.

Looks like he could grow into being a great captain. Being under Link will help that a lot - he had clearly done a lot of work in the leadership and motivation area that he can help Hooper with.

But on that kick off - Hooper looked way offside to me.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Just watched that again, Scotty, and it is very touch and go. Maybe an inch offside, and certainly not enough for a ref or touchie to pick up in real time.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
What I'm most pleased about is that the Wallaby attack is developing a shape and speed that doesn't rely on the skill set of one player e.g Quade's long passing ability. It's seems like everyone has clarity about the approach to each game and enough scope within that plan to express the skillsets that got them selected. Plus Our forwards are doing a good job of contributing to the width and variation in point of attack. McKay and Link are doing a terrific job in that space.

On Skelton, a good debut. Carried well and threw 2 or 3 good offloads and that sublime short ball. He will be a useful weapon for the wallabies this year at various times. What's interesting is that we now have a number of locks who bring different things to the game and have different weaknesses.
Carter does tight work with a good set piece skills, makes a billion tackles and has good breakdown presence though is not quite as good on the carry as the rest.
Skelton brings a serious point of difference with his ability to be a threat with the ball in hand, and he can obviously hit like a sledge hammer. He does however noticeably weaken our lineout and his work rate is the lowest in terms of ground covered, tackles made and breakdown work effected.
Jones brings a little bit more on the carry than Carter (with less of a breakdown presence), not as much as Skelton but often pops up with really good support play.
Horwill in a way has the broadest skill set in that he is a good set piece exponent, has a high work rate in defence and breakdown, can carry ok, can tackle ok, can be physical and often is a good support player but right now he's not really dominating in any of those areas in a way that's saying "pick me". Experience does count for something though.
Simmons is pretty good at everything right now and runs our line out so he's in.

So what does Link do? He has players with a variety of skillsets. Does he go horses for courses or does he anoint 3 locks who between them cover all bases. In my view, in the starting XV you need to go horses for courses not only in selecting the locks but when balancing the skills of the forwards as a whole. The forward pack for this last test against the french probably wasn't the one best suited to grinding out a 2 point win against the AB's in the wet. It just wasn't. It was however, the right one for that game.
Against the AB's you need forwards who can 1st of all live with pace of the game. Secondary to that you need them to be able to make a difference in the game, and alter the way the AB's feel they should defend.

In that sense, I would look at Carter/Horwill as your options for no.4 to start vs the AB's in a pack that also features Palu, TPN and Kepu with Skelton and McCalman on the bench. Vs the Boks I would look to start Skelton at 4 in a pack that also features TPN and Higgers, with Horwill and Palu on the bench. I suppose this will all get worked out by form over the last month of Super Rugby but it's an interesting concept.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Looks like he could grow into being a great captain. Being under Link will help that a lot - he had clearly done a lot of work in the leadership and motivation area that he can help Hooper with.

But on that kick off - Hooper looked way offside to me.

Watch 90% of kick offs and you'd say that there are half a dozen blokes offside before he actually kicks it. Maybe they're just more lenient off the kick off?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Since the French Top 14 final, I have been banging on about the poor quality rugby being played in France and probably generally in the NH. Maybe, after the first and third tests, others might now also recognize there is still a gulf between SH and NH rugby, and the fact that expat Aussies are making good in the North is no indication at all that they are worthy of consideration for inclusion in this Wallabies side. Hopefully, all the drum eaters for JO'C, Matt Giteau, Digby et al will take a deep breath and lay off for a while.

My thoughts on the current Wallabies are that they have shown a lot of improvement in their general attack though still a bit messy with passes and off loads not going to hand, the scrum has improved to the point that it is competitive with most others although Pollick seemed to have it in for Kepu on a couple of occasions yesterday,and the defense is as good asit has always been. All good signs, but still will be very difficult to win against the Boks and ABs.

Skelton looks like a weapon at lock. And has a role in the line out as well. Took two throws, without jumping, but just as importantly, caused the French not to throw short thus limiting their options.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Since the French Top 14 final, I have been banging on about the poor quality rugby being played in France and probably generally in the NH. Maybe, after the first and third tests, others might now also recognize there is still a gulf between SH and NH rugby, and the fact that expat Aussies are making good in the North is no indication at all that they are worthy of consideration for inclusion in this Wallabies side. Hopefully, all the drum eaters for JO'C, Matt Giteau, Digby et al will take a deep breath and lay off for a while.

My thoughts on the current Wallabies are that they have shown a lot of improvement in their general attack though still a bit messy with passes and off loads not going to hand, the scrum has improved to the point that it is competitive with most others although Pollick seemed to have it in for Kepu on a couple of occasions yesterday,and the defense is as good asit has always been. All good signs, but still will be very difficult to win against the Boks and ABs.

Skelton looks like a weapon at lock. And has a role in the line out as well. Took two throws, without jumping, but just as importantly, caused the French not to throw short thus limiting their options.

Interesting NH v SH.
WOBs agree were a couple levels above the French.
AB's and Poms - gee those first 2 games were close.
Boks v Wales - I saw the last 5 minutes of the series, and a penalty try got the Boks home in that game, so cant pass to much comment there.

Or is it we are now playing good rugby, 7 straight, last time was over 10 years ago.

And I see heaps of room for improvement.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting NH v SH.
WOBs agree were a couple levels above the French.
AB's and Poms - gee those first 2 games were close.
Boks v Wales - I saw the last 5 minutes of the series, and a penalty try got the Boks home in that game, so cant pass to much comment there.

Or is it we are now playing good rugby, 7 straight, last time was over 10 years ago.

And I see heaps of room for improvement.
agree we are playing better, and probably better than the Bokke, but the opening 30 minutes from the AB's last night was truly sublime rugby. we will have to take every chance and eliminate all the errors to beat them, i think the Wobs are up to it, but whether they can we will see in August

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Skelton HAS to learn to jump, both in lineouts, but also at the restarts.

He is clearly athletic enough, I do not see why he cannot learn to get up into the air.

He would be unbeatable at 2 in the lineouts, he is so strong.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Cant believe people are still talking about To'omua as a 10 for the wobs. To'omua is our 12, and he's the only player we have with the skill set we require in that position. We need a 12 that not only acts as a 2nd play maker but is defensively strong. If you look at the teams we will be playing in our Pool (wales and England) both rely heavily on their big centres to break the line and create chances. Our 12 and 13 will need to be able to stop their opposite numbers from getting over the advantage line. That rules out the likes on Beale and Lilo (at least to from the starting 12 role). The only players that have the defensive ability to play 12 in those games will be McCabe or Godwin, and neither are playmakers.

Agree with others that Skelton or Carter will get the starting spot against the Blecks. Carter's the safe choice but I'm undecided at this stage. Carter looked really good in his debut but to be perfectly honest, the French were shit in that game (worse than they were in the third test) so it is hard to tell what kind of impact he will make against the kiwis. My brain says carter but my gut says Skelton. I don't think the line-out is an area we are going to struggle too much to the All Blacks regardless of whether Skelton plays the first 40 minutes. Where we will struggle is if we are unable to get on the front foot and play some attacking football. I'd like to read other people's comments on the issue, and see the rest of the Super season play out before I make up my mind.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Skelton for all his worth is not a lineout jumper and with him on it really effects a close line rolling maul. But the Hooker should see what the French did to us with all jumpers hitting Simmions and hit Skelton at the front..

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cant believe people are still talking about To'omua as a 10 for the wobs. To'omua is our 12, and he's the only player we have with the skill set we require in that position. We need a 12 that not only acts as a 2nd play maker but is defensively strong. If you look at the teams we will be playing in our Pool (wales and England) both rely heavily on their big centres to break the line and create chances. Our 12 and 13 will need to be able to stop their opposite numbers from getting over the advantage line. That rules out the likes on Beale and Lilo (at least to from the starting 12 role). The only players that have the defensive ability to play 12 in those games will be McCabe or Godwin, and neither are playmakers.

Agree with others that Skelton or Carter will get the starting spot against the Blecks. Carter's the safe choice but I'm undecided at this stage. Carter looked really good in his debut but to be perfectly honest, the French were shit in that game (worse than they were in the third test) so it is hard to tell what kind of impact he will make against the kiwis. My brain says carter but my gut says Skelton. I don't think the line-out is an area we are going to struggle too much to the All Blacks regardless of whether Skelton plays the first 40 minutes. Where we will struggle is if we are unable to get on the front foot and play some attacking football. I'd like to read other people's comments on the issue, and see the rest of the Super season play out before I make up my mind.

No one called for To'omua at 10 it was just responses to the person who said he wasn't a playmaker. Which is rubbish.

Lilo a great tackler so wouldn't be a problem at 10 or 12.

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
It does look like the locks will be Simmons, Carter and Skelton. Still some questions over Skelton's scrummaging but he offers too much otherwise to ignore. It'll be very interesting to see what Link ends up going with.
It will be interesting to see how Skelton goes against the AB's. They will watch the tapes carefully and there are still many areas he has yet to improve on that the other forwards have had to cover. He will improve but I am waiting to see how he goes against teams like South Africa and N.Z first. Having a second rower that isn't a line out jumper can be dangerous .

Status
Not open for further replies.