• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon for a first test start in France against the #2 side, it was a blinder. Scored a try and played a key role in the other. Missed a key tackle in the last 5 but other than that was faultless (I think?) in the air and always looked dangerous ball in hand. Read the game well and mixed it up between kicking and running.

He dropped an offload by Foley early on. He got turned over once I believe (could probably blame the support more there).
He was pretty good.
I give him a 8/10. I don't know if 8/10 is in the blinder category for you but it isn't for me.

EDIT: 7/10

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He dropped an offload by Foley early on. He got turned over once I believe (could probably blame the support more there).
He was pretty good.
I give him a 8/10. I don't know if 8/10 is in the blinder category for you but it isn't for me.

8/10 is "solid"? Ok...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Did more than Banks usually does, at the very least.

Still time to improve tackle technique.

Campbell definitely cemented his place as first choice 15.

But then again Wright was pretty good in his first outing at fullback against England and it was all downhill from there. Although I have the feeling Campbell will be much more consistent, in the Kellaway mould.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some random thoughts...

One thing that really bothered me is that White made some good snipes from the ruck, but there were no support runners and there were clearly holes to put someone into...

I think it was the kind of game that required McDermott on the bench - Gordon was just a slower, less effective version of White.

Our breakdown work is still a step behind everyone else... and yet, our backrow were all very busy...

I thought Campbell and Wright were both good, let down by the last 5 mins...

Tupou had his best test in a while...

Neville was doing a good job of disrupting the French maul...

I'm keen to see more of Skelton...

Ikitau probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves, but he's got to be the first picked player in the backline.

But fuck, a win would've been good for our standings.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Did more than Banks usually does, at the very least.

Still time to improve tackle technique.

A bad miss to be sure. Noting he wasn't on his own - not an excuse but it shouldn't have gotten that far. In terms of Jock specifically among the backs needing to improve, let's look how they went:
Stats from ESPN - TC turnovers conceded; T tackles, 'TM tackles missed

Campbell:TC:0; T:6; MT:2 completion 75%
Kellaway: TC:2; T:7; MT:2 completion 78%
Ikitau: TC:0; T:3; MT:1 completion 25% 75%
Foketi: TC:0; TC:1; MT:0 (25 min) completion NA
Wright: TC:1; TC:1; MT:2 completion 33%
Paisami; TC:1; TC:6; MT:0 (55 min) completion 100%

Campbell and Kellaway the stand outs there. Opposite for Wright.

Then look to attack where Jock had a try and a try assist. Foketi the only player with a try and Foley the only other player with a try assist.

Jock had 7 runs for 77m. Also 6 passes.
Kellaway 6 runs for 33m
Ikitau 6 for 48m
Foketi 3 for 64m
Wright 10 for 106m - also note 6 passes.
Paisami 8 for 16m.

Stats don't tell the whole story but nor do fixations on the visuals from a single tackle. Big impact and from the reporting he is standing up for it. Those stats read to me as Campbell standing out among 12 to 15. Kellaway the most rounded after him, Wright the the most attacking. There are no individual stats on kicking unfortunately.

I'm comfortable calling Jock Campbell better than solid on his second outing, first start, against the world #2 team. No he's not the messiah and he has not likely sealed a spot with a single performance. Keep it going though and we are on a good thing.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A bad miss to be sure. Noting he wasn't on his own - not an excuse but it shouldn't have gotten that far. In terms of Jock specifically among the backs needing to improve, let's look how they went:
Stats from ESPN - TC turnovers conceded; T tackles, 'TM tackles missed

Campbell:TC:0; T:6; MT:2 completion 75%
Kellaway: TC:2; T:7; MT:2 completion 78%
Ikitau: TC:0; T:3; MT:1 completion 25%
Foketi: TC:0; TC:1; MT:0 (25 min) completion NA
Wright: TC:1; TC:1; MT:2 completion 33%
Paisami; TC:1; TC:6; MT:0 (55 min) completion 100%

Campbell and Kellaway the stand outs there. Opposite for Wright.

Then look to attack where Jock had a try and a try assist. Foketi the only player with a try and Foley the only other player with a try assist.

Jock had 7 runs for 77m. Also 6 passes.
Kellaway 6 runs for 33m
Ikitau 6 for 48m
Foketi 3 for 64m
Wright 10 for 106m - also note 6 passes.
Paisami 8 for 16m.

Stats don't tell the whole story but nor do fixations on the visuals from a single tackle. Big impact and from the reporting he is standing up for it. Those stats read to me as Campbell standing out among 12 to 15. Kellaway the most rounded after him, Wright the the most attacking. There are no individual stats on kicking unfortunately.

I'm comfortable calling Jock Campbell better than solid on his second outing, first start, against the world #2 team. No he's not the messiah and he has not likely sealed a spot with a single performance. Keep it going though and we are on a good thing.
Stats are what the compiler wants them to be. Campbell definitely had one turnover against him after being pinged for holding the ball in the ruck. And perhaps you'd better have another look at Ikitau's completion rate. On the figures for tackles made and missed tackles, his completion rate is 75%, not 25%.

I wish we could all get away from stats. They are simply in the eye of the beholder. Our own personal judgement of a player's performance over the course of a game says a whoi,le lot more than a basket full of stats.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s refreshing to see a fullback whose first instinct is to run the ball and he’s quite dangerous.

Obviously physicality will always be an issue but it’s something that will just have to be manages.
Not too concerned about his physicality if he's providing the support play and attacking skills.

I wouldn't consider him a weak defender... KB (Kurtley Beale) won a John Eales Medal at 15 and he certainly wasn't laying blokes out.

With so many guys going down injured recently it's really good to see someone debut and at first opportunity perform at Test level.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We gonna give Valetini some schtick for his kick? Like funny but fucking brain dead at a crucial moment. Run it straight brother.
Could have been the difference. Rennie says he can kick but must be done only under control, if at all. He would hold on to the pill there for sure if he had it again.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We gonna give Valetini some schtick for his kick? Like funny but fucking brain dead at a crucial moment. Run it straight brother.

It was the one blight from what was another strong performance from him...

He must have been having flashbacks to his try against the 'canes.

But it was dumb - the team just looked rudderless in those final stages.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It was the one blight from what was another strong performance from him...

He must have been having flashbacks to his try against the 'canes.

But it was dumb - the team just looked rudderless in those final stages.
He must've been absolutely spent too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Unusually, Wallabies were pretty efficient in this game. France spent 33% of their possession in our 22m. We just spent 80 seconds in their 22m. The French got 2 points every time they entered our 22m, we got 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.