• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Also, the prior game, replacing Foley for Hodge with 8mins to go at a critical time in the game was also confusing as pointed out by pretty much everyone in the world.
Rennie publicly stated that he wanted Hodge on for his stronger defence and big boot to close out the game.

It was eminently sensible strategy but unfortunately Hodge was terrible.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting language around Campbell getting "dropped" by Rennie. Would love to know the language to justify Wright and Gordon continual selections, maybe they are not sick and the coaches aren't disappointed by their below average performances due to them regularly being below par?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In relation to Gordon, surely it's on the basis that McDermott has also been poor.

White is a pretty clear first choice then we've got two options who have both been inconsistent.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In relation to Gordon, surely it's on the basis that McDermott has also been poor.

White is a pretty clear first choice then we've got two options who have both been inconsistent.
I actually think both Gordon and McDermott have been poor enough to warrant someone else getting a chance. Lonergan perhaps. I'd say Issak Fines-Leleiwasa but I think he's ruled himself out?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Their starting front five are some talented lads. Scrum time could get messy.
I also think the Irish backrow is one of the most balanced back rows at the moment. This pack is not going to bully anyone off the park, but no one is going to bully them. They have proven that in the last 12 months.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The more I think about the mass changes to Italy, the more I question Rennie. All he had to do was rest a few key players, not 11 changes. Win by 2 tries in a rusty win or something. Lose to Ireland admirably and hopefully slip past Wales. Then he would've come away with 3/5 wins and an almost win against France and we'd be thinking this Dave fella knows what's up.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning...

He simply could've rested a handful of players that required the break, run out with a reasonably strong team and they likely roll Italy and the mood leading into this week would be completely different.

Unfortunately Rennie made a poor choice, and it will likely cost him after next year in regards to his job future unless the Wallabies have a dream run and win the RWC.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I also think the Irish backrow is one of the most balanced back rows at the moment. This pack is not going to bully anyone off the park, but no one is going to bully them. They have proven that in the last 12 months.
I'm excited to properly watch Van Der Flier and see what all this hype is about. Who are you supporting this game Kev?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

At the same time, you've got the Captain of the Waratahs (i.e. a senior and experienced player) who gave away a stupid yellow card where the opposition put 14 points past us.

We talk about not understanding why the Wallabies aren't improving their discipline, but, here's a clear answer. Gordon was not punished by the team for his individual cock up and is rewarded by being selected in the 23 the following week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At the same time, you've got the Captain of the Waratahs (i.e. a senior and experienced player) who gave away a stupid yellow card where the opposition put 14 points past us.

We talk about not understanding why the Wallabies aren't improving their discipline, but, here's a clear answer. Gordon was not punished by the team for his individual cock up and is rewarded by being selected in the 23 the following week.

I don't disagree with that at all.

I think it is illuminating in terms of where Rennie sees McDermott though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gordon has been extremely disappointing. I thought he was quite clearly better than McDermott during Super Rugby (McDermott had some real shockers) and was within touching distance of White.

Id say hes flipped that with his performances.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We are playing Ireland, the top team in the world. To have a hope of winning we had to select the players who would really have an impact right from the start. That means Tupou and Skelton at 3 and 5. There is just not enough power and impact in that pack to establish dominance.

This pack has been selected to not lose too badly, which says more about the coaching mindset than I think they would want to announce.

With the injuries, the backline is about the best we could muster. Whether you play Hodge instead of one of them is a real 50-50 call. Maybe Hodge at 15, Kellaway at 11 and Wright to the bench would work better in the kicking duels that are inevitable, but it is not obvious

I agree. Having Skelton, Tupou at the start will really fatigue the opposition which will pay dividends late in the game. It would also establish a strong scrum from the start which could set a precedent for the rest of the match for any 50/50 scrum collapses.

I really don't like the idea of saving the best players or impact players at the end of matches, I think the added fatigue factor by starting the stronger players is under-rated.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Geez not a lot of ‘insurance’ in the team.

Wright and Marky both game breakers but also quite head explodey. Kellaway a great talent but still quite raw for a fullback. Petaia on the bench, again electric but also prone to either breaking down or doing dumb shit.

Would have liked Hodge or Campbell somewhere in the 23.

I guess Rennie is hoping for an attacking blitz - the old we just gotta score more points than them approach. Odd we left Tate out in case.

Personally I don't think Hodge or Campbell are any less prone to errors compared to Kellaway. I think Kellaway is the safer more consistent option at 15 compared to the both of them.

Also if you're going all out attack, then Campbell would be selected over Kellaway too. Campbell is easily the best attacker at 15. He would be your all-out-attack riskier option.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Seems nuts to me they aren't starting Skelton. Close to best on ground last week. This would be the game to let him run himself into the ground for 50/60 mins and see if he is effective against the best packs in the world.

Absolutely. I also assume Skelton is unavailable for Wales being an overseas pick. Anyone know if this is true?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Personally I don't think Hodge or Campbell are any less prone to errors compared to Kellaway. I think Kellaway is the safer more consistent option at 15 compared to the both of them.

Also if you're going all out attack, then Campbell would be selected over Kellaway too. Campbell is easily the best attacker at 15. He would be your all-out-attack riskier option.

Yeh agreed on this - but Rennie seems to think he's too sick or too shit to be picked again, hard to decipher that one.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If I look at the team to find positives, I can say I like the bench of FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a), Skelton, Tupou & Samu in the forwards. Hopefully we can be close enough in the match and these guys can come on and really up the ante. Think I would have preferred Hodge but I'm ok with Jordan getting the spot.

I think the best way to try and match this Ireland team is to be as direct as possible. With the right ball Paisami & Ikitau can get over the ad line with Mccloskey and Ringrose. Mccloskey is a big unit but not their first choice

With FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s throwing issues, and his better scrummaging and general play, I would much prefer him starting.
It's too stressful having a line-out with 5minutes to go without Porecki throwing.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I actually think both Gordon and McDermott have been poor enough to warrant someone else getting a chance. Lonergan perhaps. I'd say Issak Fines-Leleiwasa but I think he's ruled himself out?

Longergan I thought was even better then White in super rugby, but he was very average in Aus A so I don't think he warrants selection. I would rather persist with Tate.

Status
Not open for further replies.