• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
New week, new match thread, same hangover from a 1 point loss.

With Rennie having flagged that this will be our best available team, we'll (in theory) see where we truly stand. Not sure I'm particularly looking forward to this one.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Team wise, I assume the starting lineup will be fairly straightforward (I'll take liberties with the bench)...

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost/Swain
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Foley
11. Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Campbell

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Neville
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Hodge
23. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) / Petaia?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Team wise, I assume the starting lineup will be fairly straightforward (I'll take liberties with the bench)...

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost/Swain
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Foley
11. Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Campbell

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Neville
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Hodge
23. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) / Petaia?
Not much to argue with there, Tupou v Ala'alatoa to start looks to be a live question again after Tupou's recent games, given the way the scrum has gone I think you might be right on Tupou starting.

Only other thing I'd add is we might see a 6-2 bench, probably with Hanigan added and McDermott/Hodge as the 2. Our forwards have struggled as a unit for sometime now and Rennie might be inclined to take the extra into the game.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost/Swain
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Foley
11. Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Campbell

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Neville
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Hodge
Yep hard to disagree with that. The one positive about the Italy loss is that it is has probably made it easier to know who our best team is now because none of them put their hand up for selection.

Personally I wish we didn't have to select Foley, Paisami, Fainga'a or Gibbon but they are the best options.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost/Swain
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Foley
11. Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Campbell

16. Fainga'a
17. Gibbon
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Neville
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Hodge
I would drop Foley completely out of the twenty three and let Noah play ten behind a lot stronger pack and a better and more familiar nine.
I know this is from left field, do you have to use the full complement of subs in a game? It’s not under ten’s anymore.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would drop Foley completely out of the twenty three and let Noah play ten behind a lot stronger pack and a better and more familiar nine.
I know this is from left field, do you have to use the full complement of subs in a game? It’s not under ten’s anymore.
Yeah I agree - give him a crack with the best possible team in front of him!! (Similar to what someone mentioned with McReight et al. in the Italy thread).

I used to hate it when Quade was "given his chance" over Foley but was also given it with a B team forward pack so people called for his head after having a shit game :mad:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The idea that we pick Swain is just so dopey that it doesn't pass the sniff test. Did you miss his off the ball tackle on their centre last game? I know the TMO did but if he hadn't it was another yellow card. We will struggle to stay close to Ireland with 15 on the park. With 14 we will get slaughtered.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
My team:

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. McDermott
10. Foley (Unfortunately our best option)
11. Petaia
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Campbell
16. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
17. Gibbon
18. Thor
19. Neville
20. Samu
21. Hanigan
22. White
23. Hodge

We seriously need some new hookers, Porecki just isn't a world class hooker and FF (Folau Fainga'a) is too inconsistent.

Not very optimistic about this game, I feel like we will crumble.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Can you run a 6/2 bench with Petaia starting? His track record of lasting 80 minutes isn't great

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah I agree - give him a crack with the best possible team in front of him!! (Similar to what someone mentioned with McReight et al. in the Italy thread).

I used to hate it when Quade was "given his chance" over Foley but was also given it with a B team forward pack so people called for his head after having a shit game :mad:

This is almost always going to be the reality for the player the coach views as being the second choice.

They need to take any option they have to show that they deserve more opportunity. The coach isn't looking for a reason to change their mind over who they think is first choice.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Any thoughts on Campbell possibly missing this game if he suffered concussion on the weekend? If Banks is still injured, would Kellaway slot into 15, or would they go to Hodge or Petaia?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've been thinking about this recently and we need Hodge starting purely so we can "scare" oppositions not giving away penalties 55m out. Foley and Lolesio or anyone else for that matter don't really have 40+m range. Just having Hodge out there can perhaps keep the opposition more honest and speed up our ball.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is almost always going to be the reality for the player the coach views as being the second choice.

They need to take any option they have to show that they deserve more opportunity. The coach isn't looking for a reason to change their mind over who they think is first choice.
Oh I get it 100%

I still hate it though :p

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've been thinking about this recently and we need Hodge starting purely so we can "scare" oppositions not giving away penalties 55m out. Foley and Lolesio or anyone else for that matter don't really have 40+m range. Just having Hodge out there can perhaps keep the opposition more honest and speed up our ball.
White?

I'd much rather have Jock or Kellaway at 15 than Hodge. It'll be interesting to see if Jock has done enough in these past 2 games to sway Rennie's thinking of him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
White?

I'd much rather have Jock or Kellaway at 15 than Hodge. It'll be interesting to see if Jock has done enough in these past 2 games to sway Rennie's thinking of him.

Strange White isn't used more for long-range goal kicks.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Man, my pessimism is high enough to say this is the team:

(don't worry about subs) and just forfeit the match to Ireland, result will be the same.

However I'd probably go with

1. Slipper
2. Porecki
3. AAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Lolesio (yeah he had a shocker but last game was a wash out all round)
11. Petaia
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Campbell
16. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a)
17. Gibbon
18. Thor
19. Neville
20. Samu
21. Hanigan / Gleeson (not sure about this one)
22. McDermott
23. Hodge

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
1. Slips
2. Porecki
3. Thor
4. Swain
5. Neville
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Foley
11. Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Campbell

16. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
17. Gibbon
18. 7A's
19. Skelton
20. Samu
21. Petaia
22. McDermott
23. Hodge

If Campbell's out Hodge to start and I dunno Hanigan to the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.