• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Geez it just looks like the match officials have an unconscious bias against the wallabies. BOK’s language is indicitive of this.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
More good than bad to take away from that from an Australian perspective.

Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) and Petaia were outstanding.

Discipline the main problem again. Four consecutive neck rolls. That keep Tupou off, makes them play with 13, negates a try. Ugh.

Injury concerns continue. Kellaway, Porecki, Ikitau and Valentini all looked injured and Nic White was surely concussed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
More good than bad to take away from that from an Australian perspective.

Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Petaia were outstanding.

Discipline the main problem again. Four consecutive neck rolls. That keep Tupou off, makes them play with 13, negates a try. Ugh.

Injury concerns continue. Kellaway, Porecki, Ikitau and Valentini all looked injured and Nic White was surely concussed.

Tom Wright’s least dumb game for a long time too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Improved performance, but still the discipline in the team is atrocious, 4 penalties in the first 4 minutes, and yet another yellow card for the game.

Gordon gives away a yellow card with a stupid penalty/yellow card last week which gives up two tries, and again gives up a stupid penalty this week which gives Ireland the field possession for the Bundee Aki try.

Porecki, Neville, Hooper, Fainga'a all making high contact around the neck. Fainga'a high contact was just stupid play given the warning they'd received and the passage of play he did it in.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I thought the boys were desperately unlucky. Yes, discipline still has a ways to go, but overall, I think they were pretty good.

I like that we went for the win rather than taking the 3 points. What happened after it is disastrous officiating and if that's the stand that world rugby is now making on players joining mauls, okay. But police it for the whole game.

PROPS: Slipper, Ala'alatoa were very good tonight, Robertson did his job when he came on and Tupou looked to be just warming into it. RATING: 8/10.
HOOKERS: I'm a fan of Porecki, but cannot understand the continued selection of Fainga'a as a hooker. I thought the discipline from our hookers was one of the key disappointments. RATING: 5/10
LOCKS: Nick Frost has come of age in this tour, Neville is a handy guide for him and works like a madman around the park. Skelton as a finisher is a great selection. RATING: 9/10
BACKROW: Loving Hoops' play at the moment - career renaissance. Holloway is gritty and mean and elevates our lineout. Valentini was okay, but didn't have the usual impact. Samu as a finisher is in the same category as Skelton for me. RATING: 8/10

Backs rating coming soon.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Honestly, serious questions need to be asked of this coaching staff on why Neville started over Skelton.

Other than not running straight after a poor pill, he made easy metres and drew in multiple players.

I've been a reluctant fan for Big Will but he surely showed his potential tonight. The try was completely from Skelton's set up. I just don't know how the coaching team deals with it with so little training time available with him and such a big impact on plenty of other team selections. It isn't ideal, but bench might be the best way to handle things.

on another note, early release of stats have a habit of getting reviewed and amended, but you'd think the penalty count would stack up. 12 each. We did NOT have a penalty disadvantage to Ireland.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Rennie said Skelton had a calf issue (how many calf issues is that in total for the team?!), but is OK to go - obviously not 100% though.
Honestly, serious questions need to be asked of this coaching staff on why Neville started over Skelton.

Other than not running straight after a poor pill, he made easy metres and drew in multiple players.
Rennie was claiming Skelton had some niggle wasn't he?

Not sure his statement ticks the honesty box.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I missed 10 minutes. What happened to Tupou?
Came off with calf or knee issue.
also think we are in a holding pattern of being the “indisciplined team”, much as we were “the team that can’t scrum” in the past. There’s truth to it, but refs look more for it from us than from the opposition.

Last edited:

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Another “if only” performance. Discipline and breakdown effectiveness remain significant issues. Oh and injuries ! How many black cats has Rennie walked by ? There have been some positives to this tour Holloway, Frost, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), Ikitau( although I have always thought he was a definite pick), Skelton, Hooper ( this test) and perhaps Neville have shown improvement or return to form or that they belong at this level. It would be nice to have a full strength side play every now and then though

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some quick observations.

1. Time to put the Porecki love in a drawer and lock it away. Cost the initial try that could have set the game up for a win. Overthrew the next lineout. Then penalised for neck roll which gave away three points. After all that, pinged for hands in the ruck. All within the first 10 - 15 minutes.

2. Better game from Michael Hooper but absolutely smashed by Gibson-Park (No 9) one on one. His lack of physicality for a forward is a worry.

3. Mark Nawaqanitawase had an excellent game on the wing and worked well in tandom with Wright on the other wing.

4. Skelton had more impact than I've seen from him in any other game. Our second row is looking very strong atm. Lineout challenged by Ireland in first 60 minutes or so but finished on top with steals by Holloway and Frost.

5. Jordan Petaia was very good and also worked well with both wingers. Maybe more opportunities in the 13 and wing spots without Paisami at 12?

6. Foley very ordinary again but Lolesio had no game time I saw.

7. Slipper put in a massive shift, replaced in the last 10 minutes. Together with Ala'alatoa held the scrum up against the "world's best THP".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And Rennies gambit fails.

mild-shock-shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.