• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I thought the boys were desperately unlucky. Yes, discipline still has a ways to go, but overall, I think they were pretty good.

I like that we went for the win rather than taking the 3 points. What happened after it is disastrous officiating and if that's the stand that world rugby is now making on players joining mauls, okay. But police it for the whole game.

PROPS: Slipper, Ala'alatoa were very good tonight, Robertson did his job when he came on and Tupou looked to be just warming into it. RATING: 8/10.
HOOKERS: I'm a fan of Porecki, but cannot understand the continued selection of Fainga'a as a hooker. I thought the discipline from our hookers was one of the key disappointments. RATING: 5/10
LOCKS: Nick Frost has come of age in this tour, Neville is a handy guide for him and works like a madman around the park. Skelton as a finisher is a great selection. RATING: 9/10
BACKROW: Loving Hoops' play at the moment - career renaissance. Holloway is gritty and mean and elevates our lineout. Valentini was okay, but didn't have the usual impact. Samu as a finisher is in the same category as Skelton for me. RATING: 8/10

Backs rating coming soon.

Holloway getting better. Think he has really improved from the start of this season. Happy to call him a solid test player now.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They talked about calling someone up after Foketi's injury but I don't believe they ever announced who. Hopefully they did call someone in because they've left it late if they want to actually use them.
I doubt they will for the last game, although it is a must win for us. I think between Petaia, Ikitau, Hodge, Kellaway, Lolesio and even Pete Samu we have enough cover in the centres for this last game. And I’ve no doubt left out other options

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Another “if only” performance. Discipline and breakdown effectiveness remain significant issues. Oh and injuries ! How many black cats has Rennie walked by ? There have been some positives to this tour Holloway, Frost, Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Ikitau( although I have always thought he was a definite pick), Skelton, Hooper ( this test) and perhaps Neville have shown improvement or return to form or that they belong at this level. It would be nice to have a full strength side play every now and then though
I think we have to be beyond the point of blaming bad luck for our amount of injuries. I think it has to be an issue with the strength and conditioning that Australian players are receiving in Wallaby Camp and back in their SuperRugby Teams

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think we have to be beyond the point of blaming bad luck for our amount of injuries. I think it has to be an issue with the strength and conditioning that Australian players are receiving in Wallaby Camp and back in their SuperRugby Teams

Surely this was the case 5 injuries ago.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He hasnt done shit to save his job. He should be sacked.

He'll be saved by timing and circumstance - nothing that hes done.
I'm not as harsh on him following this game. I am now prepared to give him more time, 4 games all tight with a team that cannot hold any discipline and a couple of players who will not be there at RWC (hookers?). I can't say I am delighted with his selections and replacement decisions but if we beat Wales I'm OK till RWC - JUST...Apart from the shit breakdown work of course.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
On a positive, I thought our defence is improving. We managed to defend multiple phases, and the Irish never really looked that threatening.

but then again, we didn't look threatening at all on attack either besides a few individual efforts by Marky marc and Petaia.
Our defence was reasonable but the Irish offered absolutely nothing in attack. It is pretty easy to defend against a side with no adventure in the attack.
Both teams defences stood up because neither team asked any real questions of the other.
Our discipline is appalling and our game plan is non-existent.
This was a reasonable performance by the Wallabies but only because the bar has been set so low.
Whenever I watch the Wallabies I end up wondering if the coaches have the players all training on their own as they so little cohesion. You then have to question why we seem to suffer more from injuries than anybody else. Are we training poorly because the situation has become so pronounced that I can no longer put it down to bad luck.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Reading Tupou out for nine months?
Cool.

--

Rennie has to go. The fact that we get done for 4? neck rolls in the first half a week after the spotlight couldn't be more on the Wallabies discipline issues is such a fucking joke. He can't control the players. Cya.

The RWC hooker spot is anyone's. Porecki just fucked away so much goodwill and FF (Folau Fainga'a) is always well, just fucking dumb. I can't believe I almost want Latu back.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Latu needs to find God or something, and soon.

When people are twisting and turning at the breakdown it is inevitable that there will be contact with the neck. They need to look at it and find a way to rule on those instances. I thought it was tough on FF (Folau Fainga'a). He realised and released, but too late. The Irish had a couple of similar let go.

Those bagging Foley obviously did not see his two try saving tackles and the rest of his mostly very good play. I’d guess that if Lolesio was at 10 we would not have had a look in.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
not all the injuries have been soft tissue / overuse / underprepped in origin. Paisami's happened today in a tackle, Foketis as well, but i agree too many come at training or from wear and tear.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cool.

--

Rennie has to go. The fact that we get done for 4? neck rolls in the first half a week after the spotlight couldn't be more on the Wallabies discipline issues is such a fucking joke. He can't control the players. Cya.

The RWC hooker spot is anyone's. Porecki just fucked away so much goodwill and FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) is always well, just fucking dumb. I can't believe I almost want Latu back.
Having watched him play since his Force days, I really like the skill set and attitude of Anaru Rangi. His set piece work is as good as any other Australian hooker.
He is a fit, disciplined and thinking footballer, something we are missing in the two jumper.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
not all the injuries have been soft tissue / overuse / underprepped in origin. Paisami's happened today in a tackle, Foketis as well, but i agree too many come at training or from wear and tear.
Reap what you sow too. Most countries are playing 3 Tests in November. We've been whored out by the RA (and really, they kind of have to for financial reasons) for 5 Tests in a row.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so the hookers ! the two Brumbies tyros are not up to it yet and i think Lonergan is always going to be too small. at home Kai'tu , Latu, Mafi, Rangi, Uelese and overseas BPA - all have their deficiencies either, cant throw, cant stop being carded, not interested, not mobile enough. we ned someone to stand up or the current two to F'n learn from their errors.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cool.

--

The RWC hooker spot is anyone's. Porecki just fucked away so much goodwill and FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) is always well, just fucking dumb. I can't believe I almost want Latu back.
who's our breakdown coach? It's gone backwards this season I reckon. Or at least we've been found out more this tour

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm curious on the sentiment regarding Rennie and the coaching team. If you step back and look at things, do we really feel it's just a change of coach that is the difference between winning or not? We've had enough different regimes to see that maybe there are some other systemic issues that are at play. Ireland didn't start to hit their stride just because of Joe Schmidt and now Andy Farrell (though I'm sure they play their part) came in, but rather engineered a central contract system with great top to bottom alignment with excellent feeder schools. Ireland punches well above their weight in comparison to England and some other nations because of their keen management and unique setup.

We don't have such depth that you can removed the cream from our team with players like Korobete (back in Japan), Cooper, Kerevi out injured, coupled with players like Tupou, Pisami, Foketi, Philip, Banks, Kellaway, Rodda, Swinton, Perese, Harrison, Johnson-Holmes, Bell... (list goes on) also injured... not to mention our talent sucked overseas, Salakaia-Loto, Meehan, Rona, McMahon, Gill, Arnold, Ainsley, Makin, Lukas, Carter, Coleman, Speight, Jones, Paenga-Amosa... not all making first 15, but either raising the standards or pushing players in the squad.

Also if you look at our feeder Super Rugby teams, besides the Brumbies we really haven't had any consistency in quality and across the board the results haven't been great.

Many of our games this year are small margins of difference that probably a couple of different players in the team or less unexpected injuries would have tipped things the other way.

My concern at the moment is the feeling that we seem to have so many injuries occuring. Makes me a little curious about our S&C. I remember Chieka getting roasted for players getting injured due to some of his fitness ideas, but I don't ever recall it ever being this bad.

Last edited:

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Cool.

--

In the first sentence your blaming Rennie for not expanding on the disciplinary issues with the WB, then you go ahead and say FF (Folau Fainga'a) is "just fucking dumb". Make up your mind, is it the coaching or the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.