• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
V, hasn't Wayne Smith said that he has no interest in being head coach or something like that? He would be exactly what we need at this time, someone to rebuild our stocks from the ground up.

We could keep Rennie and bring Wayne Smith in as assistant coach once Laurie goes back to the Brumbies.

I think the whole coaching set-up having an 'Australian flavour' was the wrong call. Just bring in the best guys for the job.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Has Wayne Smith ever given an indication he wants to coach another national side? He could be good for us as he's shown with the NZ women, he can do more with less.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Wisemantel, Taylor, McKellar and du Plessis at the very least were all Rennie choices.

Based on Rennie's comments in interviews he said it was important the coaching team was primarily Australian. So you know straight away he's limiting his choices. I'd bet my house this would be at the request of Rugby Australia. Not that I think that is necessarily a bad call given it would be ideal to have Australian coaches but in hindsight, maybe we just needed to absolute best coaches out there no matter where they are from.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
V, hasn't Wayne Smith said that he has no interest in being head coach or something like that? He would be exactly what we need at this time, someone to rebuild our stocks from the ground up.

Yeah its a long shot, and maybe he wouldn't even be as good as Rennie as he could be one of those great assistant coaches not a great head coach type person.

He does strike me as a die hard kiwi and probably doesn't want anything to do with the wallabies. But I think at this stage we should be considering all avenues.

I really think Rennie needs to shake things up and bring on some new assistant coaches.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Why is everyone so negative about this game? We had a chance to win at the death in Dublin against the World #1. We're ranked #8 ffs. We were playing with a team held together by bandages on their last legs. Our 3rd choice fullback Kellaway played the whole game at 13. We were a 50/50 call away from a "an all time historic win".
But we didn't win. Just like we didn't beat Italy, just like we didn't win the Bledisloe for the 20th straight year, just like we didn't win a series vs England at home

This game in a vacuum isn't the issue. I's the totality of everything.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah its a long shot, and maybe he wouldn't even be as good as Rennie as he could be one of those great assistant coaches not a great head coach type person.

He does strike me as a die hard kiwi and probably doesn't want anything to do with the wallabies. But I think at this stage we should be considering all avenues.

I really think Rennie needs to shake things up and bring on some new assistant coaches.
V. I read that O'Gara is a leading contender for England coach as Robertson has pretty much declined the job. So that is 2 that are almost certainly out of consideration. I wonder if we will be in the same situation as 1997 when nobody decent puts their hand up and Dareen Coleman is handed the job as a fill gap until a 'real' coach turns up. Could be interesting.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
V. I read that O'Gara is a leading contender for England coach as Robertson has pretty much declined the job. So that is 2 that are almost certainly out of consideration. I wonder if we will be in the same situation as 1997 when nobody decent puts their hand up and Dareen Coleman is handed the job as a fill gap until a 'real' coach turns up. Could be interesting.
Would DC actually want it though? He seems to be fitting right in at the Tahs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You guys want to sack Rennie and replace him with a candidate who has had some good years in Shute Shield and made improvements to the worst Waratahs team ever?
Talking of possible additions to the coaching team I would consider John Manenti. He has a wonderful knowledge of the game, and seems to know how to get the best out of the players. Simon Cron has a lot of ability too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
The Eastwood love is strong in @wamberal

I agree he has proven to have good knowledge of the game but with what he's done with the Mens 7s he should stay there. Most success they have had in a long time and they don't deserve to lose him when he has no professional 15s experience as far as I know.

Cron and Coleman are both great prospects in the coaching ranks but I want to see them lead their respective franchises over the next couple of years and develop players for the national team.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Would DC actually want it though? He seems to be fitting right in at the Tahs.

I think DC, McKellar, Thorn etc. would all jump at the opportunity. I doubt any would say no. They may never have another chance to coach there home nation. I think all these guys would take the job instantly.

Not many would say no to a promotion in there job, even if the company is a bit of a mess.

Although I don't agree any of these guys have the ability, barely a success at super rugby level. Compare this to Cheika or McKenzie who both won the comp within 2 years. Plus McKenzie had previous super rugby experience and Chieka won the Heniken Cup with Leister.

These candidates everyone is mentioning are a huge step down to our previous appointments. Rennie included. At least in terms of trophys/success.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
You guys want to sack Rennie and replace him with a candidate who has had some good years in Shute Shield and made improvements to the worst Waratahs team ever?
Why not. We have tried all the "superstar" coaches to very little success. Why would Robinson be any different to Deans & Rennie?

We need to back young Aussie coaches because throughout our entire history they are the only ones that have won anything at either domestic or international level for us

The Tahs chased Gibson and Penny as they were supposedly Rockstar coaches, together the two of them brought NSW rugby to it's knees. Scoffing at the turnaround job Coleman has done is a disservice

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Eastwood love is strong in @wamberal

I agree he has proven to have good knowledge of the game but with what he's done with the Mens 7s he should stay there. Most success they have had in a long time and they don't deserve to lose him when he has no professional 15s experience as far as I know.

He played for West Harbour, and coached there too. We need to get the best possible coaches into the Wallabies set-up. Its a bit difficult if we say they have to have experience without being willing to give them that experience.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hey Wamb, it's unlikely any 7s players would immediately ascend to the Wallabies without a couple of years at Super. Any different for a coach?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hey Wamb, it's unlikely any 7s players would immediately ascend to the Wallabies without a couple of years at Super. Any different for a coach?
Yes, coaches are not athletes, they don't have to play the game. They don't need to make what must be a big step up in terms of physicality.

With coaches it is all between the ears. He is currently coaching our most successful rugby team. That did not happen overnight, and it is not an accident.

There is something missing in our coaching set-up at the moment. Something to do with knowing how to win at the highest level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He played for West Harbour, and coached there too. We need to get the best possible coaches into the Wallabies set-up. Its a bit difficult if we say they have to have experience without being willing to give them that experience.
There are literally no professional coaching pathways in Australia. The only way to properly jump from semi-pro/amateur to pro is to go overseas.

And we wonder why we have subpar coaching?

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
There are literally no professional coaching pathways in Australia. The only way to properly jump from semi-pro/amateur to pro is to go overseas.

And we wonder why we have subpar coaching?
Yep, and that's almost a whole new thread in itself

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's pretty clear that there is too big a gap between being a Super Rugby assistant and Super Rugby head coach to make that leap a reasonable career path for most coaches.

Dan McKellar is arguably the only one who has done it well.

The Reds effectively burned a couple of years to give Thorn on the job experience before he was up to the job.

The Tahs struggled badly with Gibson. Likewise Wessels, Foote and Sampson didn't really succeed.

I don't think there's really a way to fix the problem either. We need (most of) our coaches to go offshore to get head coaching experience elsewhere before becoming the head coach of a Super Rugby side.

Status
Not open for further replies.