• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Watching the England game. What do Australia have to do to get calls like they do. Ref ignoring off the ball hits, tackle in the air ,miles offside. If that's Aus it would have been 10 penalties in the first 25 min
Have a better discipline reputation?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think we all recognise that Noah needs to develop his game management more, but how can he do that when he's not being selected? It is almost universal that posters here have wanted Noah to get more game time, and to start in some tests so that he can get better skills or show that he doesn't have them.

Having agreed there, I certainly do not agree that Foley's game management skills are anything to write home about. I really do think that anyone playing 10 in this team and under the current coaches will have severe issues with running a backline that has little or no flair in attack and relies solely on individual skills to create something. And when they're missing Kerevi, Koroibete, Kellaway and Campbell is so obviously affected by some virus over the week's preparation, then even those individual skills are very scarce. A fit and firing Campbell in this match probably would have been enough to bring the win.

I'm actually one of the posters that thinks Noah has had plenty of game time. How many caps does he have now? 20? I think that's plenty for an under-developed 10. Test rugby isn't a development ground. I have no issue with how Rennie has managed him. He's been given plenty of shots and he's continually put out below par performances.

Honestly, Foley concerns me too, but I still prefer him to Noah now. But either way I think we have no hope without Cooper.

Also, I don't buy Campbells fitness excuse. Especially when you got Petaia and Kellaway as able replacements. He started, means he was fit. He played poorly. He now have one good test and one bad test to his name.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Shigs, I really recommend you read up on Confirmation Bias if you aren’t familiar. Your blood pressure might thank you

I wish. The games really cooked at the moment. In the south African game a French guy gets a penalty for running off side and then back onside and then with 10 min left a French guy runs offside, falls over the south African half back, slows the ball down, and it's not a penalty.
No consistency, the games a lottery.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Shigs, I really recommend you read up on Confirmation Bias if you aren’t familiar. Your blood pressure might thank you

Oh God, now you've done it.

grief.png

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
That's not fair. Are u beting on Quade's performance for a big game like that???? Quade was one of the most inconsistent players in the world at that time. He could win or lose but he wasn't a reliable test player like Johny Wilkinson or John Eales, I never would have bet on him.

The Lions tour is a special moment every 12 years. They have a full strength squad of 50 players availables, it's not a common series. In Deans Era Wallabies used to be a 2/3 at World rankings. Now you are a Top 10 nation. With Robbie Deans in charge you never would lose against Italy

Australian Super teams were very strong back then & Australia U20's had exceptional talent coming through the systems.

Deans underachieved massively with the strongest generation of Australian players in a decade: Pocock, Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Giteau, Mitchell, Barnes, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Beale, Horwill, Vickerman, Dennis, Sharpe, Douglas, Moore, Gill, Alexander, Polota-Nau, Elsom, 2x Fainga'a, Slipper, Robinson, Kepu, Cliffy Palu, etc..

He had quality & depth of personal coming out of his ears, and Australian Super teams were regularly dominating SA teams.

The Wallabies should've won a Lion's series, 2x tri-nations, and a grand slam - at the very least. Deans did poorly.

Last edited:

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
5 games in 5 weeks my heart bleeds for them, most blokes do that work full time and have to fit gym workouts and training in around it.

They are coming off a 5 week break on top of that.
Underestimating the brutality of test level a fair bit I wouldve thought…

most players are barely be able to walk the day after a tough match

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm actually one of the posters that thinks Noah has had plenty of game time. How many caps does he have now? 20? I think that's plenty for an under-developed 10. Test rugby isn't a development ground. I have no issue with how Rennie has managed him. He's been given plenty of shots and he's continually put out below par performances.

Honestly, Foley concerns me too, but I still prefer him to Noah now. But either way I think we have no hope without Cooper.

Also, I don't buy Campbells fitness excuse. Especially when you got Petaia and Kellaway as able replacements. He started, means he was fit. He played poorly. He now have one good test and one bad test to his name.
Not uncommon in Wallabies folklore for someone to be anointed the savior after their first test and then turn to shit. That said I’m keen to see more of him, he’s batting at 50/50 which is much better than the bloke before him.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Wow.
I Haven’t watched a game since the Raynal code killer led me to in cancel my Stan Sport subscription.
I just watched that second half at a mates place.
That was dire.
Aside from the shite play from the wallabies the half just seemed to move from penalty to orchestrated stoppage to penalty. Hardly saw any actual rugby. Thank god for the fast forward button
What an awful spectacle. No wonder it’s struggling to hold a supporter base.
My new found indifference has certainly made my mood a lot better than it would have been the last few Sundays.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not. You just have a pavlov anti-Red thing.

It's the same for Hanigan. Don't say 'this is your chance to make your claim for the test jersey' and then put him with McReight and Samu. Put him with Valetinie and Hooper. We can't say 'ok everyone, this is your time to step and prove yourself but we are putting you with a bunch of guys we consider not good enough to be in our best team'. It's terrible coaching and I can't think of a time it has worked.

Anti-Red? Before this game I was calling for Tate and McReight over Gordon and Hooper. Plus I don't get the Wilson non-selection. Your just another poster who has his anti-Red/Tah/Brumbie radar set on extreme all the time.

I disagree with this so much. What is Rennie suppose to do? Play McReight over Hooper against France? You think that's getting a better shot then playing against Italy?

Your saying it's easier to succeed playing against France then it is compared to Italy as long as you have Valetini and Hooper there? Seriously?

Look at all the world class players. They would never underperform because of the player next them, maybe a 10 or a 9 with a poor forward pack, but certainly not a backrower.

How that f**k does not having Hooper or Valetini in the team stop you from hitting rucks, making turnovers, slowing ball, making tackles, winning the collision? You can do all those things on your own.

Players like G Smith and Pocock never had these issues. I'm not saying McReight should be compared to these legends but he shouldn't be using the players next to him as an excuse.

At best, the player the next you makes you 10% better. Not 10% worse. I don't get these excuses at all for a backrower.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Dave Rennie and his coaching team all have input into the selections and the feedback players are given.
I am not convinced that he has the coaching team he would choose but some of the positions are at the request of Rugby Australia as they want the next Australian coach to be Dan MacKeller coming thru as Assistant.
Any coach should have 100% control of the set up and how they run it. They succeed on their own terms or move on. This is very much Michael Chekia’s view post his exit from the Wallabies job.
Given some of the strange selection decisions you can speculate that he is trying to keep the peace amongst the coaching team that Rugby Australia has given him.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
We had absolutely been tier 1 for about 30 years straight.
I guess a lot depends on how big you want the tier to be, sure we have been better than most other teams, but for the vast majority of that time we have not been world beaters.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Australian Super teams were very strong back then & Australia U20's had exceptional talent coming through the systems.

Deans underachieved massively with the strongest generation of Australian players in a decade: Pocock, Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Giteau, Mitchell, Barnes, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Beale, Horwill, Vickerman, Dennis, Sharpe, Douglas, Moore, Gill, Alexander, Polota-Nau, Elsom, 2x Fainga'a, Slipper, Robinson, Kepu, Cliffy Palu, etc..

He had quality & depth of personal coming out of his ears, and Australian Super teams were regularly dominating SA teams.

The Wallabies should've won a Lion's series, 2x tri-nations, and a grand slam - at the very least. Deans did poorly.
Still ran pretty well considering player power issues, compared to Eddie Jones (list in P-W-L-D)

6​
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
Daryl Haberecht
1978​
7​
Bob Dwyer
1982–1983; 1988–1995​
8​
Alan Jones
1984–1987​
9​
Greg Smith
1996–1997​
10​
Rod Macqueen
1997–2001​
11​
Eddie Jones
2001–2005​
12​
John Connolly
2006–2007​
13​
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
Robbie Deans
2008–2013​
14​
Ewen McKenzie
2013–2014​
15​
Michael Cheika
2014–2019​
16​
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
Dave Rennie
2019–present​

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
weird take. I actually re-watched that Reds v Lions game from that year. QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) was pretty damn average. Definitely a much lessor player than he is now and MUCH lessor than he was in 2010/211
Deans destroyed the Wallabies environmental from the inside out with his toxic favoritism & his outdated 18th century totalitarian my-way-or-highway approach, he was full on scorched earth, burning bridges everywhere he went dropping Cullen, Umaga, Oliver etc.. by the 2012 season, essentially the whole Wallabies leadership despised him and wanted to see the back of him ASAP.

This admission from Will Genia tells you everything really:

The Wallabies halfback Will Genia says they're a better side without former Crusaders coach Robbie Deans at the helm.

Australia scored just 17 tries from the last 17 tests of Deans' reign.

Genia voiced his his frustration at Deans' conservative tactics the day before the second Bledisloe Cup test in Wellington, saying it marks the biggest difference under new coach Ewen McKenzie.

While the Wallabies lost the first test in Sydney last weekend they did show attacking flair and ran the ball from their own half.

It was a welcome relief to Genia, who also bluntly intimated James O'Connor was wrongly picked out of position at first five in the series loss to the British and Irish Lions.

Deans wasn't respected by the players at all, Rennie on the other hand, clearly is universally respected by the current squad. Nic White said he was "outstanding" and an "unbelievable coach" and everyone loves him and want to play for him.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Gordon and probably Lolesio have lost their ticket to RWC23 or at least have a long way to go.

Two scrummies will be White & McDermott. We'll probably go with Cooper, Foley & cover like Beale, Hodge, maaaaybe a third young'un.
Same goes for McReight, I'd imagine we'd carry just Hooper & Samu in the squad.

Anyone's game for the hooker position. Porecki is probably safe, I'd put money on Latu. Third could be any of the Brumbies trio, maybe Uelese or BPA if rules are loosened.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Gordon and probably Lolesio have lost their ticket to RWC23 or at least have a long way to go.

Two scrummies will be White & McDermott. We'll probably go with Cooper, Foley & cover like Beale, Hodge, maaaaybe a third young'un.
Same goes for McReight, I'd imagine we'd carry just Hooper & Samu in the squad.

Anyone's game for the hooker position. Porecki is probably safe, I'd put money on Latu. Third could be any of the Brumbies trio, maybe Uelese or BPA if rules are loosened.
Gordon gave away an unnecessary yellow but apart from that was fine. I guarantee the coaching staff are equally disappointed with McDermott who made one terrible kick and passing was again sub-par.

The decision to put on Donaldson with five minutes to go was just ridiculous though. In a close game and with a debutant fly-half, he should either be given 20 minutes or none at all. Five minutes with the game in the balance is terrible management.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Deans destroyed the Wallabies environmental from the inside out with his toxic favoritism & his outdated 18th century totalitarian my-way-or-highway approach, he was full on scorched earth, burning bridges everywhere he went dropping Cullen, Umaga, Oliver etc.. by the 2012 season, essentially the whole Wallabies leadership despised him and wanted to see him gone ASAP.

This admission from Will Genia tells you everything really:

The Wallabies halfback Will Genia says they're a better side without former Crusaders coach Robbie Deans at the helm.

Australia scored just 17 tries from the last 17 tests of Deans' reign.

Genia voiced his his frustration at Deans' conservative tactics the day before the second Bledisloe Cup test in Wellington, saying it marks the biggest difference under new coach Ewen McKenzie.

While the Wallabies lost the first test in Sydney last weekend they did show attacking flair and ran the ball from their own half.

It was a welcome relief to Genia, who also bluntly intimated James O'Connor was wrongly picked out of position at first five in the series loss to the British and Irish Lions.

Deans wasn't respected by the players at all, Rennie on the other hand, clearly is universally respected by the current squad. Nic White said he was "outstanding" and an "unbelievable coach" and everyone loves him and want to play for him.
Shame he also appears to be dumb as a doorhandle.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
5 games in 5 weeks my heart bleeds for them, most blokes do that work full time and have to fit gym workouts and training in around it.

They are coming off a 5 week break on top of that.
Yep and most blokes don't play test rugby, I doubt whether that work etc couldn't even handle the gym workouts every day and same with trainings. If you look at a hell of a lot of top line sports they can't really compete at a high level week in and week out. Top marathon runners will run 3-4 a year maximum, even shorter distance ones won't do top races every month etc. I know at lower level you can play a lot more, but you can get away with a lot less effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.