• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Our hookers (Porecki somewhat excluded) have been shocking at the lineout.

It must be something with the way we train the line out. We mustn't be training it dynamically or something. Like are they actually training when out of breath, coming up to a lineout to form it, competing against an opposition?

I get the impression its all good in training because we're training it too easily.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think Porecki is adequate at 2, but certainly 10, 12 and 15, I would also argue 6, 9 and 11 are problems!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
At hooker Porecki has come on leaps and bounds, Fainga'a lack consistency and Lonergan/Pollard are too raw for test rugby, the later both need consistent starting Super Rugby time to be considered for test level. I think it's time to revisit Feleti Katu'u and bring Alex Mafi into the squad.

The outlier is Latu, as much as i don't think he deserves it given his behavior, I'm increasingly open to the idea of Latu coming into the squad again... if he demonstrates a 'dickhead free' super rugby season. Another option if RA change the foreign player policy, is to bring BPA into the squad as well.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Won't happen, either.

Changing the coach would be the worst possible thing. Back to square one for the team.

I am totally bemused by all this hysteria. We have lost too many games in virtually the last play of the day. A couple of those were down to iffy refereeing decisions. We need to get a grip, and get behind the team, its pretty obvious they are quite capable of holding their own.
Maybe that is the difference between a good coach and a not so good one.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd be interested for you to share those details regarding his game-plans, as I don't recall much evidence of them.
That was a bloody long time ago but I'll have a chat to a young guy I had with me and he may have a clearer recollection than me. It was not only 'play what's in front of you' I can tell you that much. There was a leading league coach there as well asking a lot of questions about tactics etc.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep and most blokes don't play test rugby, I doubt whether that work etc couldn't even handle the gym workouts every day and same with trainings. If you look at a hell of a lot of top line sports they can't really compete at a high level week in and week out. Top marathon runners will run 3-4 a year maximum, even shorter distance ones won't do top races every month etc. I know at lower level you can play a lot more, but you can get away with a lot less effort.
Exactly so they have so much more time dedicated to recovery and getting their bodies right. They are also had a far greater level of physical condition so they are better able to withstand the riggers of professional sport. Playing five weeks in a row after having 5 weeks off is hardly a hardship.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah but you have to compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges. The only SH nation playing 5 games with his full squad is Australia, that not make sense. In order to earn extra cash you are losing prestige cause you don't have 2 test teams.

If the game against Italy would have been played by Australia A, the atmosphere here would have been quiet different.

It's a management issue, even the Pumas can manage to play only 3 games
There is nothing wrong with playing 5 games, they have had 5 weeks off. Australia needs the extra cash, if they want to justify their pay cheques then play

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Australian Super teams were very strong back then & Australia U20's had exceptional talent coming through the systems.

Deans underachieved massively with the strongest generation of Australian players in a decade: Pocock, Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Giteau, Mitchell, Barnes, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Beale, Horwill, Vickerman, Dennis, Sharpe, Douglas, Moore, Gill, Alexander, Polota-Nau, Elsom, 2x Fainga'a, Slipper, Robinson, Kepu, Cliffy Palu, etc..

He had quality & depth of personal coming out of his ears, and Australian Super teams were regularly dominating SA teams.

The Wallabies should've won a Lion's series, 2x tri-nations, and a grand slam - at the very least. Deans did poorly.
His biggest mistake was taking Pocock over G.Smith, although they were both excellent players Smith added far more than Pocok.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Uelese is dreadful, but the rest are better than Fainga'a, who really is lucky to still be there. Missing key throws under pressure has been a feature of his game his entire career. Disagree that it's time to throw Lonergan out with that same bathwater though, his set piece is improving and around the field he's the best of all of them (despite his size). Of the available hookers Porecki is the best option though.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think Porecki is adequate at 2, but certainly 10, 12 and 15, I would also argue 6, 9 and 11 are problems!

Doesn't scrum well, doesn't really get over the add line, wouldn't say dominates in the tackle much more often than gets pushed around, doesn't scream leadership, not a natural jackler however throws the ball straight most of the time. Ladies & gentlemen their is the best god damn hooker we have!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looked to make a few tackles and gave away ?one? penalty?

Other than that, not quite as prominent as I expected. Hard when you've been outside the 23 for weeks.
I thought he was OK but they just didn’t gel at all. Something that you would feel was a pretty good chance of happening since half of them have had little game time recently together, as you say. There was nothing on the bench to arrest the situation if it went pear shaped outside of TT. Surely Hodge has not been over played, or Foley. Hodge should have been on the bench with White, possibly Hooper as well…..just in case. Really poor selections.

I feel for them and DR but I reckon his head is close to being on the chopping block.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
At hooker Porecki has come on leaps and bounds, Fainga'a lack consistency and Lonergan/Pollard are too raw for test rugby, the later both need consistent starting Super Rugby time to be considered for test level. I think it's time to revisit Feleti Katu'u and bring Alex Mafi into the squad.

The outlier is Latu, as much as i don't think he deserves it given his behavior, I'm increasingly open to the idea of Latu coming into the squad again... if he demonstrates a 'dickhead free' super rugby season. Another option if Rugby Australia change the foreign player policy, is to bring BPA into the squad as well.

Porecki is only an average test level player. If you want a forward pack to win the collisions and dominate the contact zone, Porecki ain't going to do that. He is getting better around the park but I still find he lacks so much impact compared to other international counterparts.

Unfortunately, Porecki seems the only Hooker in Aus who can throw straight, although even he is now racking up some numbers in mis-throws but at least they aren't in crucial moments.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I wasn’t too upset with Rennie making the changes and giving guys a run but what I can’t handle is his use of the substitutes.

2 weeks in a row he has dragged our number 10 with less than 5 mins to go and it has cost us the game. It is such a crucial position that you need time to get yourself into the game, I can’t see any benefit of making a change so late.

Players also need to start getting punished for their Poor discipline, Eg when Gordon got the yellow he should have just put Tate on and left gordon off for the rest of the game. Instead he moves Campbell to half back for ten minutes FFS

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Players also need to start getting punished for their Poor discipline, Eg when Gordon got the yellow he should have just put Tate on and left gordon off for the rest of the game. Instead he moves Campbell to half back for ten minutes FFS
You do know that If he put on McDermott then he would have had to pull another player for 10 minutes?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
‘Our’ meaning the Brumbies?

piss take aside, Porecki, BPA, Uelese and Latu all are good throwers. Some have other issues, but that’s not what I’m commenting on.

No. I was talking all Australian Hookers. BPA and Uelese included. I don't recall them being great throwers. My point was Fainga 2-3 years ago was seen as the most accurate thrower of the international prospects BPA, Uelese included. That's how bad Aust Hookers are at throwing.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
That was a hard watch.

Would have liked to have seen Donaldson have more than 5 minutes of footy.

*insert broken record about discipline*

Hey, at least McRight and Samu had a crack at competing at the breakdown. Last week I don't think anyone even tried to get over the ball?

See what happens with a completely different team again next week.... ha

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I wasn’t too upset with Rennie making the changes and giving guys a run but what I can’t handle is his use of the substitutes.

2 weeks in a row he has dragged our number 10 with less than 5 mins to go and it has cost us the game. It is such a crucial position that you need time to get yourself into the game, I can’t see any benefit of making a change so late.

We have a bloke who can play anywhere from 10 to 15 JUST BLOODY PICK HIM AT 23 EVERY WEEK! he's only to play 20 min unless of an inj & will never "need to be rested". Its Robbie Deans all over again trying to created a wider squad but never nailing an actual side.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You don't lose just for a hooker. The Italians smashed the Wallabies backrow at the breakdown hundreds of times

Never said they did. Was just commenting on how bad all our Hookers are at throwing the last 5 years. If Fainga is one of the best throwers there is something seriously wrong with that.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Another thing we suffered with was their out the back, bodies in motion attack. We just weren’t reading and adapting to it and it kept creating overlaps and mismatches in defence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.