• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s not like a prop YC where you can do a shuffle for safety.
If you take a winger off to put McDermott on at the 15min mark then that winger is off for the rest of the game. If you don’t put Gordon back on after ten then so is he. So what do you do after the 10mins is up? Put your only outside back cover (petaia) on at wing? Then you’ve used up two of your three back substitutions in 25mins and left yourself with no outside back injury cover. And only one back, a rookie 10 on the bench for the next 55mins??
Just to punish Gordon??
Rennie can be criticised for a number of things but not that one.

I thought the Campbell to 9 was a staggering call. I actually thought Loloesio to 9 and Campbell to 10.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Porecki has come on leaps and bounds this year and showing consistency the others aren’t. If he is ‘only an average test level player’ then it doesn’t say much for the others, and maybe that’s the reality of the situation.

I agree, and that's exactly my point. It doesn't say much for the others, and unfortunately it's the same story for most of our positions.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Deans destroyed the Wallabies environmental from the inside out with his toxic favoritism & his outdated 18th century totalitarian my-way-or-highway approach, he was full on scorched earth, burning bridges everywhere he went dropping Cullen, Umaga, Oliver etc.. by the 2012 season, essentially the whole Wallabies leadership despised him and wanted to see the back of him ASAP.

This admission from Will Genia tells you everything really:

The Wallabies halfback Will Genia says they're a better side without former Crusaders coach Robbie Deans at the helm.

Australia scored just 17 tries from the last 17 tests of Deans' reign.

Genia voiced his his frustration at Deans' conservative tactics the day before the second Bledisloe Cup test in Wellington, saying it marks the biggest difference under new coach Ewen McKenzie.

While the Wallabies lost the first test in Sydney last weekend they did show attacking flair and ran the ball from their own half.

It was a welcome relief to Genia, who also bluntly intimated James O'Connor was wrongly picked out of position at first five in the series loss to the British and Irish Lions.

Deans wasn't respected by the players at all, Rennie on the other hand, clearly is universally respected by the current squad. Nic White said he was "outstanding" and an "unbelievable coach" and everyone loves him and want to play for him.
Nick White is doing the sycophantic act with the coach to maintain his position as first choice halfback.
There's a world cup year coming up & he's not getting any younger.
Otherwise known as 'crawling'.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
World class players like Kerevi and Koroibete notwithstanding, I reckon the most valuable overseas player come RWC could be Scott Sio. There must be some doubt about Slipper maintaining his form until and through a WC program and for all his abilities otherwise Bell is still questionable at scrum time. Sio would have added a lot of experience and power to this touring side had he been called into the squad.
BR, time to take the blinkers off. Your continuous hubris of Brumbies players in the wallabies is really becoming nauseous.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Deans destroyed the Wallabies environmental from the inside out with his toxic favoritism & his outdated 18th century totalitarian my-way-or-highway approach, he was full on scorched earth, burning bridges everywhere he went dropping Cullen, Umaga, Oliver etc.. by the 2012 season, essentially the whole Wallabies leadership despised him and wanted to see the back of him ASAP.

This admission from Will Genia tells you everything really:

The Wallabies halfback Will Genia says they're a better side without former Crusaders coach Robbie Deans at the helm.

Australia scored just 17 tries from the last 17 tests of Deans' reign.

Genia voiced his his frustration at Deans' conservative tactics the day before the second Bledisloe Cup test in Wellington, saying it marks the biggest difference under new coach Ewen McKenzie.

While the Wallabies lost the first test in Sydney last weekend they did show attacking flair and ran the ball from their own half.

It was a welcome relief to Genia, who also bluntly intimated James O'Connor was wrongly picked out of position at first five in the series loss to the British and Irish Lions.

Deans wasn't respected by the players at all, Rennie on the other hand, clearly is universally respected by the current squad. Nic White said he was "outstanding" and an "unbelievable coach" and everyone loves him and want to play for him.
Deans tried to play more expansively early in his reign and found we struggled to react well enough after turnovers (something we still do to this day)

So he then tightened up the structures and we played closer to the pigs

It was the pragmatist's approach, try to keep the game close and grind a win rather than try to win by plenty, or more often than not, lose by plenty

At some stage Rennie is going to commit to some "toxic favouritism" and stick and pick to a side.

We need to, but to those who end up collecting splinters and holding tackle bags - they better harden up and take their limited opportunities if we have any chance of winning a couple of games

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nick White is doing the sycophantic act with the coach to maintain his position as first choice halfback.
There's a world cup year coming up & he's not getting any younger.
Otherwise known as 'crawling'.
So the answer is to show no commitment to the current coach, yeah that works so well

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Except Sio is playing the house down and Gibbon is decidedly meh
Yes. I think Gibbon learned a lot this test. He is adequate off the bench but not a starter. With a decent loose head we would have dominated the scrum from the start.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
So the answer to to show no commitment to the current coach, yeah that works so well
The coaches selection of the 23 put them in a bad position. Sending Donaldson on with 5 to go and trailing by a score was not an astute move. Hodge should have been on the pine. If he was not fit then Foley. White too. This was a very important test for us. The only one on tour that was a near gimme.
Sio could have and should be in the squad. You cannot play around with your front row in test rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sio could have and should be in the squad. You cannot play around with your front row in test rugby.
I think Gibbon is doing his best, but I just don't see him being a legit Test Match Front Rower. I know injuries are a plenty but neither is Tom Robertson. He debuted for the Wallabies 6 years ago and we seem to still be waiting. (Scored a cracker by keeping those pistons going)

The Wallabies seem like an unintelligent team without the physical presence to overcome that. Without the try in the last minute and Italy missing some pretty easy penalty shots we could have lost 40+/22

Now we play Ireland who are 2/2 with Ben O'Keeffe who doesn't miss a misconduct call.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought the Campbell to 9 was a staggering call. I actually thought Loloesio to 9 and Campbell to 10.
I'm always a fan of 7 acting as the 9 in those situations, they're at the rucks already and have got the read on them to not get caught out. Obviously the pass isn't always going to be there but realistically you should be playing tighter for that period and not ask any makeshift half to stretch themselves too much with the pass. Probably doesn't help that we play so much off 9 at the moment though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR, time to take the blinkers off. Your continuous hubris of Brumbies players in the wallabies is really becoming nauseous.
No, the blinkers only come off when one of the other inferior Aus super sides improves to take the mantle of best in the country.

Won't surprise me at all if the Tahs actually do that or go close in 2024, but can't see the others coming up to scratch.

Incidentally, Sio is no longer a Brumby, but is still one of the best LHPs either in the country or otherwise available to us.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No, the blinkers only come off when one of the other inferior Aus super sides improves to take the mantle of best in the country.

Won't surprise me at all if the Tahs actually do that or go close in 2024, but can't see the others coming up to scratch.

Incidentally, Sio is no longer a Brumby, but is still one of the best LHPs either in the country or otherwise available to us.
BR

Your passion for the ponies does remind me of this at times

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
BR sorry for having a go at you yesterday, I was irate/angry and looking for any reason to have a snipe. In general your comment I reacted to was sensible and well thought out.

Im a bit better today but stand my MOST of my opinions from yesterday.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I visualise a Queanbeyan diner, where Matt Giteau sits in a booth with Dan McKellar secretly running Australian rugby while struggling to get through the surf and turf…

Is this an accurate portrayal of what is running through your imagination?
All the while shouting "I'm the fucking captain" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.