• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Portugal, RWC Pool C, Mon 2 Oct 2.45AM

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I had odd feelings watching that game.

On one hand we seemed a step above Portugal and I never really got the sense that we were in doubt of winning that one, though the margin is a lot closer than you should expect for where these two teams are in terms of pedigree and resourcing.

On the other hand we really do not look like a well drilled or cohesive team. The defensive structures look a mess with multiple players shooting up and creating seams all over the place not to mention a mile of space on the fringes which Portugal exploited on a number of occasions. There seemed to be some trust or comms issues with players scrambling to fill holes, creating new ones. A slightly better team would have made us pay. Our breakdown work is just not good enough, with us being really poor on the ball - I don't recall many pilfers at all. We just seem to lack the discipline and focus to rinse and repeat to create sustained pressure, play smart field position and to effectively and consistently execute on our opportunities. Some of the kicking from hand is still dismal - Issak Fines-Leleiwasa's little pot shots over the top in the last quarter were just poor. More oft than not it feels like the Wallabies are making progress through chance and individuals doing something than any sustained or co-ordinate plan which looks fine against a team like Portugal which is struggling for consistency themselves, but for us, it's really not good enough.

I'm happy for the win, but I'm really struggling with where this team is at and/or what direction they're heading in. I appreciate that they're young and developing, but I balk at a RWC being the place for a whole team to be learning.

I'm hoping someone else can dissuade me from feeling rather glass half empty about it all. I can see the players trying their best. I really can and I do believe we have some genuine talent. I thought Kellaway looked good and is a player who generally displays good rugby IQ. I liked what I saw from Foketi, though he was lucky with that hit that did look to be running a tad high to my eye. Bell is close to best Wallabies player of the RWC for me. He is a genuine talent and just so consistent and again played well in this game. Koroibete was industrious and pushed the line to have good impact. Valetini likewise had good impact with some nice runs. McReight also had a good game. He is a great link player, with some nice soft hands, plays an excellent game in tight.

Anyway, I suspect many of us will be cheering on our second teams soon.

Last edited:

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, we won. It wasn't pretty, and we were down to 13 at one point, but we won. While I reckon Portugal are a chance at knocking Fiji off, I think we have definitely played our last match of this world cup. Probably for the best too, because I couldn't take another massive loss to the poms in the Quarters.

Honestly, the team doesn't look like they want to be there. I have no idea what Eddie's gameplan was, because it just looked like 15 blokes out there going through the motions. Either he's lost the dressing room, or the players aren't the right players to execute what Eddie wants, or both.

Couple of points on the game:

- Portugal played well. They need more games against T1 opposition.
- Offloading is terrible. Kerevi, Kellaway and Perese were the worst for it, the ball simply dies when they take it into contact. Perese and Kerevi in particular never look for the offload, and simply tried to brute force it through a wall of defenders.
- On Kerevi, I'm really struggling to see his impact. It honestly looks like he would rather be somewhere else. Foketi was much more dynamic in attack.
- Our overall support play is nowhere near where it should be. The only player that regularly runs a support line is McReight. He was the main reason we had quick ball after Foketi made that break on the outside.
- Valetini was everywhere and had some very good carries, but he still far too upright when entering contact. Better teams would have ripped the ball off him and turned it over multiple times.
- I didn't understand the defensive system they had either, where the wings push in constantly. Nawaqanitawase and Koroibete were exposed numerous times on the outside. I reckon that it would have been a bit better if Ikitau was in the 13 channel, but it definitely looked like a coaching thing.
- When a bloke flies out of the line to put a hit on, he either has to hit his mark, or the blokes in the line need to be able to scramble to cover the hole. A few blokes went looking for a hit, and it was clear there was no communication about it.
- Donaldson still has a hook on his placekicks, he pulls it to the left more often than not. He's not setting up right and he's not letting his guide foot plant before he kicks. I noticed it during Super Rugby and it doesn't look like he's corrected it.
- Bell is a machine.
- Discipline is still a massive issue.

And finally, the TMO bunker is wildly inconsistent. You could tell the ref was starting to really crack the shits by the end of the game.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The game stats illuminate some of the concern. Going to 13men obviously skewed things (possession & territory much worst in 2H), but still;

Possession: 44% AU | 56% Portugal
Territory: 46% AU | 54% Portugal
Defenders Beaten: 18 AU | 29 Portugal
Defense: 84% AU | 88% Portugal
Penalties: 11 AU | 7 Portugal

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I had odd feelings watching that game.

On one hand we seemed a step above Portugal and I never really got the sense that we were in doubt of winning that one, though the margin is a lot closer than you should expect for where these two teams are in terms of pedigree and resourcing.

On the other hand we really do not look like a well drilled or cohesive team. The defensive structures look a mess with multiple players shooting up and creating seams all over the place not to mention a mile of space on the fringes which Portugal exploited on a number of occasions. There seemed to be some trust or comms issues with players scrambling to fill holes, creating new ones. A slightly better team would have made us pay. Our breakdown work is just not good enough, with us being really poor on the ball - I don't recall many pilfers at all. We just seem to lack the discipline and focus to rinse and repeat to create sustained pressure, play smart field position and to effectively and consistently execute on our opportunities. Some of the kicking from hand is still dismal - Issak Fines-Leleiwasa's little pot shots over the top in the last quarter were just poor. More oft than not it feels like the Wallabies are making progress through chance and individuals doing something than any sustained or co-ordinate plan which looks fine against a team like Portugal which is struggling for consistency themselves, but for us, it's really not good enough.

I'm happy for the win, but I'm really struggling with where this team is at and/or what direction they're heading in. I appreciate that they're young and developing, but I balk at a RWC being the place for a whole team to be learning.

I'm hoping someone else can dissuade me form feeling rather glass half empty about it all. I can see the players trying their best. I really can and I do believe we have some genuine talent. I thought Kellaway looked good and is a player who generally displays good rugby IQ. I liked what I what I saw from Foketi, though he was lucky with that hit that did look to be running a tad high to my eye. Bell is close to best Wallabies player of the RWC for me. He is a genuine talent and just so consistent and again played well in this game. Koroibete was industrious and pushed the line to have good impact. Valetini likewise had good impact with some nice runs. McReight also had a good game. He is a great link player, with some nice soft hands, plays an excellent game in tight.

Anyway, I suspect many of us will be cheering on our second teams soon.
Mate I think you feel how most of us do.

I was pretty numb to the game tbh and honestly think we’re 20 points below were a good side would have been.

We are going to be rightfully glass half empty following this WC. Rugby need to stare at the bottom of the bowl to realise this is it. We either change or perish. Mediocre periods of ‘success’ have band aided an arterial bleed.

Australia use to be industrious with limited resources in comparison to other nations. We have lost what seemed to be our personality and are an ineffective sterile and I’ll disciplined template squad.

My concern is the current leadership from Chairman down aren’t the network required to support Rugby out of it.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
1696208790096.png

Either the australians are just situationally unaware, or they are being drilled based on some kind of statistical gameplay that makes them unaware.

Reds fans may be familiar with this kind of vision

zorg-fifth-element.gif

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm actually happy for Portugal, they only got into the qual tourn because the bloke from Spain confused dates for a bloke in a game that didnt matter then got through by the skin of their teeth with an 82 min pen.

Chilie seem to be everyone's fav 5th in the group side but this one has aimed up all tourn & while its insane to think I can see them really pushing Fiji next week.

as for us i'm glad interest rates went up & my better half convinced me not to go this has been an utter debacle

Last edited:

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Admittedly we had Slips playing out of position but even so, having our scrum on skates against a very tier two side was pretty sobering.

Mathematical chances of advancing be damned, we don't deserve a quarter final spot. Clearly the third best side in our pool.

Amongst the wreckage of the tournament I'd say the following can hold their heads high:
- Valetini, Bell, Slipper, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway.

There's a few who fought hard but didn't really have a huge impact:
- Porecki, Frost, Hooper, McReight, Koroibete.

Then the rest.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It speaks volumes of the character of Marce that after being an absolute pest for a long time, he chooses to return again now when Australia are at their lowest ebb and gleefully stir the pot again. Punch up you coward.

Think he has been banned a couple of times that might explain his absence. Its even more of a blight that we was allowed to throw out racist generalisations & still here

Marce

John Thornett (49)
It speaks volumes of the character of Marce that after being an absolute pest for a long time, he chooses to return again now when Australia are at their lowest ebb and gleefully stir the pot again. Punch up you coward
I was frozen by a moderator due all RWC, ask @rugbyAU if u don't believe me

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Portugal were impressive, quite a surprise and positive for their future if they can continue to grow and get some regular high level competition. I thought the Wallabies were going to pile it on early but the Portuguese came back. Two disallowed tries as well. Their passing looked good. Fiji will need to be switched on after their fumble v Georgia.

It seemed odd with the game clearly won that Eddie didn't give some of the bench more time, bringing Schoup on with 3 minutes to go and Kemeney around the same?

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Portugal were impressive, quite a surprise and positive for their future if they can continue to grow and get some regular high level competition. I thought the Wallabies were going to pile it on early but the Portuguese came back. Two disallowed tries as well. Their passing looked good. Fiji will need to be switched on after their fumble v Georgia.

It seemed odd with the game clearly won that Eddie didn't give some of the bench more time, bringing Schoup on with 3 minutes to go and Kemeney around the same?
Portugal could be the new Argentina if they keep progressing… Solid forward pack, surprising pace in the backs, and ability to create gaps … only thing they need is more ball handling skills and disciplined play.

Reactions: NCT

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The whole east coast elite thing is one thing but what about the world rugby elite. They have turned the game into a style that suites their northern teams, the game is reffed to benifit them. The only way they can be competitive in world cups. And it's finally happening.

How's that for a conspiracy