• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, Bankwest (Parra), Sat 5th December

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fellas let’s have some perspective - this game will be remembered for one reason and that is the anthem. Most people will only see that on the news etc, regroup and rebuild for 2021, lots of room to grow

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Thought Valetini was very strong ball in hand when he got his chance. Ned and Simmo play their roles as lineout jumping ruck monkeys but I don't think you can carry two in the side. Looking forward to seeing Trevor Hosea start next year who carries very impressively.

Pleased with Philip and Wilson. Matt has been awesome all year and we should look to work out a way to get him playing next year. Harry's played so much footy this year, I think it would really be in his interests and the interests of Australian Rugby (maybe not in the interests of the Reds) to manage his workload at the beginning of next year. At 21, I feel there's room for him to put on a bit of hard muscle and some extended time in the gym in the preseason could take him to the next level.

Can't complain about the front-row. AAA is damn near world class but I think Rennie just has to start Tupou and pull him only when he's cooked, he's just too good. Telling him he only has the first 40 to play just makes him too aggressive trying to expend himself completely in the first half.

Tough night for the backs all round, although T Wizzie is outstanding and should be fullback long-term. I also don't think I've ever seen a player develop as quickly as Paisami. JOC (James O'Connor) was a bit one out, he and the team have really missed To'omua.

A bit of a 'mare for JP but I'm not going to cast him out after that. Huge year emotionally for him with the passing of his father and everything else going on. A lot for someone who was born this century to deal with, he looked spent. We'll see how he goes for the Reds next year at 13 but I'm not against starting him on the wing with Hunter at 13 and To'omua at 12 next year. Should also add that I don't really get around the "he's bought into his own hype, he thinks he can do everything himself," comments. He seems, and from all reports, is a very humble kid and we don't know what he's been instructed to do by the coaching staff RE kicking in behind etc. It's most likely something he's been told to do.

It will be interesting where JOC (James O'Connor) ends up long term. Is he our 10 for the next few years of not, or does Harrison and Lolesio (or even one of the other promising young lads - Tate/Gordon) leap frog him soon.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Watching these old Super Rugby/Wallabies clips on Fox with packed stadiums makes me a little sad.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
How long have the Wallabies been tied up together now? surely the Argentinians haven't had longer together?.. They couldn't even train as a complete unit at first with the Euro players in a seperate bubble so I'm not sure the benefit you are proposing ever existed for them in comparison to the All Blacks / Wallabies.
Yep, Wallbies were in camp in NZ with an extended squad in late September preparing for the first Bledisloe on 11 October. Played 2 games in the bubble there then came back and stayed in bubble for their final 4 games. The Australian B team played the Argies who were without their European players then had 4 games in 4 weekends. Hardly an ideal preparation. Plus they lose 3 key players last week. We should have won that in a canter

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting where JOC (James O'Connor) ends up long term. Is he our 10 for the next few years of not, or does Harrison and Lolesio (or even one of the other promising young lads - Tate/Gordon) leap frog him soon.
There will be a lot of water to go under the bridge before the next test team is picked. But I think Rennie will be keen to have a better goal kicker in the team somewhere. That might well push the case for one of the young guys.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Valetini looked like he's found his confidence at this level - was boshing fluffybunnys at will and making easy metres, much like his cameo in the last game.

Tom Wright was flawless again. I don't think he's made a single mistake in test rugby yet?

Paisami is going to play 100 tests. Petaia had a shocker for sure but most of his dropped ball were 50/50 chances or hospital passes. What concerns me is his desire to do it all alone, and that needs to be beaten out of him real quick.

Phillip is another gem, shame he's leaving. Arnold and him would be a hell of a combo.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thought Valetini was very strong ball in hand when he got his chance. Ned and Simmo play their roles as lineout jumping ruck monkeys but I don't think you can carry two in the side. Looking forward to seeing Trevor Hosea start next year who carries very impressively.

Pleased with Philip and Wilson. Matt has been awesome all year and we should look to work out a way to get him playing next year. Harry's played so much footy this year, I think it would really be in his interests and the interests of Australian Rugby (maybe not in the interests of the Reds) to manage his workload at the beginning of next year. At 21, I feel there's room for him to put on a bit of hard muscle and some extended time in the gym in the preseason could take him to the next level.

Can't complain about the front-row. AAA is damn near world class but I think Rennie just has to start Tupou and pull him only when he's cooked, he's just too good. Telling him he only has the first 40 to play just makes him too aggressive trying to expend himself completely in the first half.

Tough night for the backs all round, although T Wizzie is outstanding and should be fullback long-term. I also don't think I've ever seen a player develop as quickly as Paisami. JOC (James O'Connor) was a bit one out, he and the team have really missed To'omua.

A bit of a 'mare for JP but I'm not going to cast him out after that. Huge year emotionally for him with the passing of his father and everything else going on. A lot for someone who was born this century to deal with, he looked spent. We'll see how he goes for the Reds next year at 13 but I'm not against starting him on the wing with Hunter at 13 and To'omua at 12 next year. Should also add that I don't really get around the "he's bought into his own hype, he thinks he can do everything himself," comments. He seems, and from all reports, is a very humble kid and we don't know what he's been instructed to do by the coaching staff RE kicking in behind etc. It's most likely something he's been told to do.

It doesnt matter if you're told to kick... if you have an overlap and you still kick it then it's not a smart play. That's half the problem. Dean's was onto something with the "play what's in front of you". Poor execution is next half.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It doesnt matter if you're told to kick. if you have an overlap and you still kick it then it's not a smart play. That's half the problem. Dean's was onto something with the "play what's in front of you". Poor execution is next half.

Dingo is not coach.

I’m not displeased by this and I don’t watch Japan rugby.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Valetini looked like he's found his confidence at this level - was boshing fluffybunnys at will and making easy metres, much like his cameo in the last game.

Tom Wright was flawless again. I don't think he's made a single mistake in test rugby yet?

Paisami is going to play 100 tests. Petaia had a shocker for sure but most of his dropped ball were 50/50 chances or hospital passes. What concerns me is his desire to do it all alone, and that needs to be beaten out of him real quick.

Phillip is another gem, shame he's leaving. Arnold and him would be a hell of a combo.

Agreed: T. Wright, Paisami, Tupou and Philip all have credit in the bank. I also think White is class regardless of the naysayers.

Banks I'm not sold on, I'm still not sure who our starting hooker is longterm, even if BPA seems to have the jersey atm, Daugunu I worry has so much potential but just lacks that consistency that will make him great. Petaia I still think will be a gem, but he needs to iron out his rugby IQ, there really were some wasted opportunities the last couple of games. The other Wright (Liam) didn't really make an impact even though I've loved some of his performances at the Reds. I thought Ned actually played well in a utility backrower/lock style role. Was rather effective in a number of lineouts and made some good impact around the park if you actually watched him. Baby Bell is shaping up well.

It really was a shame to loose To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor) (for a number of games) and Slipper. I feel like their injection of experience would have really made a difference.

I actually also thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) bar this last game was rather effective.

I'm curious about players like Samu and Naisarani. There is something the coaches don't see in them, fit of otherwise.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Pumas really probably should've won that, if I'm being honest. They seemed to switch-off subconsciously for a moment after the red card and temporarily let Wobbs back into the game. Australia did pretty well to salvage that IMO playing with only 14 men.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Really disappointed by tonight's game would say the worst performance after the big loss to NZ. Think Rennie needs to get working over summer, not good enough to say we got young players.

The kicking for penalty is one thing that sh*ts me. I gave them a pass in the 1st match but to repeat it again today is idiotic, someone needs to explain to Hooper that 3 points at the start of the game is exactly the f*cking same as 3 points in 79th minute. So to leave 9 points on the field in the first 20 (AGAIN!) is so dumb. Also someone is telling BS in that camp, as Rennie said Hooper was following game plan but also that he would make it more clear they should take the points. Now Rennie is either lying or Hooper is ignoring his instructions. If its the later then Rennie needs to find a new capatian, I love Hooper as our captain and as a test player but there is 0 point changing coaching staff if the captain won't do what he is told in the game plan.

Also our back line needs a boot up the back side, they showed nothing tonight which wasn't helped by our attacking ruck looking like dogsh*t. Our attacking ruck has been a problem since game 1 and it hasn't improved, it should be one of Rennie's main focal points. Also he selects Hanigan for this over Samu (higher workrate getting to rucks) but I would say its gotten worse with Hanigan.

I'm usually positive and was hoping that Rennie would improve the Wallabies but after tonight's game I've got a sour taste in my mouth and would suggest if there is no sign of improvement after next year's championship Rennie probably needs to be shown the door.

In saying that with Covid hopefully f*ckking off, my team for first test next year would be:
1-15: Slipper, Latu*, Tupou, Arnold*, Simmons, Valentini, Hooper, Wilson, White, JOC (James O'Connor), Korobeite, To'omua, Paisami, Wright, Petaia

Rant over..... for now.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
There will be a lot of water to go under the bridge before the next test team is picked. But I think Rennie will be keen to have a better goal kicker in the team somewhere. That might well push the case for one of the young guys.

Also his eye has to be for the RWC in 3 years. At the end of the day, what he ideally wants is lots of player vying for spots and some good depth, something we've really lacked in key positions in recent years.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Not a great season even allowing for COVID, 1 win from 6 games.

At least Dave Rennie hasn’t had the pile on Chekia endured. Problems are structural and won’t be solved by the Wallabies coach.

Completely binning the current pathways model would be a start.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Pumas really probably should've won that, if I'm being honest. They seemed to switch-off subconsciously for a moment after the red card and temporarily let Wobbs back into the game. Australia did pretty well to salvage that IMO playing with only 14 men.

Nah. Besides an opportunist try amongst a real shamozzle (re: Koroibete defence), they never really looked like scoring. Wallabies probably blew more actually opportunities, including less pay for their scrum than deserved. The shining light for Argentina this whole tournament has been their defensive effort.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A disappointing match all round by the Wallabies.

Broken down the individual disappointments were :

Rennie, for his unwillingness to take a chance on some of the younger players, esp Lolesio and Tate; and for his very poor use of the bench.

Simmons/Hanigan, as a couple because their only real strength is in their lineout work. Neither is worthy of a Wallaby starting spot.

Hooper, should have been red carded except for some creative reasoning by officials to limit it to a YC. Otherwise, a very poor game and failed to take the right decisions early in the game to get points on the board.

Wilson, has been talked up unceasingly by red-eyed fans, and while he is especially strong in defense, his ball carrying is completely ineffectual. Just half a No 8 should be playing No 6.

JOC (James O'Connor), did not set the attack alight at all in 80 minutes. Poor decision making.

Petaia, an all round underwhelming performance. Should have been replaced after 30 minutes latest when it was obvious he didn't have his head in the right space.

Koroibete, again, time after time, repeatedly showing he hasn't got rugby intelligence. He is a one shot wonder and against a committed defense he hasn't got anything to offer the game.

Hodge, for his lack of nous playing at the back. Out of position, missed tackles, dropped high balls, lost possession in contact and poor kicking for line. Offered nothing with ball in hand. Banks looked a level above in the short time he was on the field.

2021 must see a real changing of the guard in the makeup of the test team. Not just on the basis of this game, but assessed over the whole of the Tri-nations, and longer in some cases, Simmons, Hanigan, Hooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Koroibete should give way to Hosea, Valetini/Swinton, McReight, Lolesio and Ramm respectively.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Simone was the only back to stick a defender and to pass to someone in a better position
I cant believe the props Paisami is getting. He created nothing with all the attacking ball you could want. Hes a hard running 13 with a half decent boot. He should be duking it out with JP for 13. Shit he should be starting ahead of JP at 13. Had Petaia made a single pass all tournament?