• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well Cheika did put Cooper on the wing last year so who knows what the hell he'll do this year.

When did that happen?

If you're talking about against France, Cooper did replace Tomane but Horne moved from 12 to the wing (after he'd replaced Leali'ifano earlier).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
When did that happen?

If you're talking about against France, Cooper did replace Tomane but Horne moved from 12 to the wing (after he'd replaced Leali'ifano earlier).

Either way it was a mess. Cheika didn't handle his bench well last year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting that at first it was that Cooper may not have enough time to show some form and would need to work his way back into form due to time off.

He comes back and plays probably 1 of the best games of an Aus 10 this year and now we need to see him do it again.

I think Foley and Lilo have have played better games against better teams this season

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Foley and Lilo have have played better games against better teams this season

But Cooper has played better games at international level. He has set the benchmark. We know he is capable of reaching that benchmark again because he's done it before. Foley and Lilo haven't come close to this benchmark yet.

I think its far less risky to assume Cooper is able to perform at that benchmark again based on glimpses of this form at super rugby level, over assuming Foley or Lilo can lift a gear at international level.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But Cooper has played better games at international level. He has set the benchmark. We know he is capable of reaching that benchmark again because he's done it before. Foley and Lilo haven't come close to this benchmark yet.

I think its far less risky to assume Cooper is able to perform at that benchmark again based on glimpses of this form at super rugby level, over assuming Foley or Lilo can lift a gear at international level.

So has Steven Larkham, but historical form only takes you so far, future games against the Chiefs and the Tahs will give us more evidence.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
On Cooper vs Foley there is an article over on the Roar (not sure if they like linking to competitors here) asking Kiwi and Saffer pundits on who they would pick for the wallabies. Nearly every single one of them picks Cooper with a number commenting how they don't fear Foley. That's pretty telling and mirrors my opinion.

Foley is a good solid player but you know what you're getting, Cooper strikes fear into opposing teams. He's grown a lot as a man and player in those 4 years and believe he can handle the pressure now. Importantly won't have an angry crowd dressed in black frothing at the mouth for his head on a plate either.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
On Cooper vs Foley there is an article over on the Roar (not sure if they like linking to competitors here) asking Kiwi and Saffer pundits on who they would pick for the wallabies. Nearly every single one of them picks Cooper with a number commenting how they don't fear Foley. That's pretty telling and mirrors my opinion.

Foley is a good solid player but you know what you're getting, Cooper strikes fear into opposing teams. He's grown a lot as a man and player in those 4 years and believe he can handle the pressure now. Importantly won't have an angry crowd dressed in black frothing at the mouth for his head on a plate either.

Agree on Cooper. Fitness and game-time his biggest issue. Did they do a Hooper V Pocock one too?

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree on Cooper. Fitness and game-time his biggest issue. Did they do a Hooper V Pocock one too?

It's actually asking them to pick a 23. Pocock seems to be favoured otherwise most teams mirror what you would see here except probably more pick Higgers in the back row than Palu/Mcalman but they nearly all pick Genia/Cooper as the halves.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

I dont fear Conrad Smith, but that little fucker keeps putting in solid games dressed in black against the wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The way forward is clearly to get the online rugby public to vote on who they think should be in the starting XV and the matchday 23 for the Wallabies. The coach then needs to work with what the public serves up.

If the public picks two loose head props to start and the coach can't make that work, then the coach should be sacked.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, why stop there? The coaching staff should be made up of G&GR pundits and we devise the game plan as well.

That will happen after the Reds make an announcement that their end of season review will be carried out by Redshappy, Train Without a Station and Gnostic with a message that they have searched the internet far and wide and these are the three pundits who they feel can best set the club in the right direction.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a pretty big issue coming up. After the regular season of Super Rugby, the players of the team that get knocked out usually get called up to a Test squad and start training don't they? In this case Cheika is going to be busy with the Tahs for possibly another 3 weeks.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The way forward is clearly to get the online rugby public to vote on who they think should be in the starting XV and the matchday 23 for the Wallabies. The coach then needs to work with what the public serves up.

If the public picks two loose head props to start and the coach can't make that work, then the coach should be sacked.

The point of the article and Deputy Van Halen's post is pretty obvious. We may as shut down the internet if there's no one but the Wallabies coach that is able to discuss the selections. Lighten up a little!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The point of the article and Deputy Van Halen's post is pretty obvious. We may as shut down the internet if there's no one but the Wallabies coach that is able to discuss the selections. Lighten up a little!

I always thought a tongue in cheek post lampooning an idea would generally be considered pretty light hearted.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Also, it would be awesome if when 'discussing' potential Wallaby 15s, we don't simply post the 23 players alone. A bit of conversation, context, explanation etc would be great.

Listing 23 names and nothing else does little to improve the content around here!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Also, it would be awesome if when 'discussing' potential Wallaby 15s, we don't simply post the 23 players alone. A bit of conversation, context, explanation etc would be great.

Listing 23 names and nothing else does little to improve the content around here!

1. Sio - Slipper needs a rest
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Skelton
6. Fardy
7. Pocock/Hooper - rotate both throughout the Championship, Pocock's history against the Boks means he gets first start.
8. McCalman - the in form 8 deserves first crack, needs to perform well or Palu/Higgers gets a start next game.

9. Phipps - most consistent, quick ball is the best
10. Cooper - if he plays well next 2 super xv games
11. Speight - can't ignore his finishing skills
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Mitchell - need a winger with a boot - apparently he is in the best form out of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

16. Slipper
17. Hanson - TPN if fit
18. Holmes - can't bring myself to pick Alexander
19. Pocock/Hooper
20. Jones / Dennis - can't split them but cover lock and 6
21. Horne - form deserves it
22. Genia - White has been annoying me lately
23. Foley - Would be good to test both flyhalves in the same game.

Reactions: Tex
Status
Not open for further replies.