• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks II, Allianz Stadium 7:35pm 03/09/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure the scrum will be our biggest issue, a poor surface probably levels it with the ref guessing on collapses or just forcing it to be played. Defending a maul becomes much harder though, trying to get traction.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe
it's pouring down right now in sydney as well
Marx is going to have a field day

Maybe. Wet weather works to the Boks traditional strengths and game plan, and works against flamboyance. Turf surface settles scrums a touch, and as qwerty has said puts more pressure on the maul. Last week the Boks didn't have trouble implementing their game plan, so assistance from the weather may not be a big issue. Their issue was converting opportunity into points. Our D should match last week to make tries just as hard. Though I guess you'd expect more Wallaby challenge in handling errors for 3 pointers to the Boks.

If the mauls are harder to defend expect more from the Wallabies in that department, we should have some confidence there.

I guess the line outs become more challenging along with handling.

All in all, I'm not convinced that the wet weather is necessarily against the Wallabies - if we a) have a sensible plan (think I have confidence there) and b) implement it (hopefully OK) c) the bench works better.

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
With loose turf I worry more about injury to side steppers like Len and failed line breaks due to falling over. If we can’t capitalise on our momentum due to slipping it’s not going to be a good night

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
how good is Stan… Korocam!!
4DB699FB-F760-419D-A36A-95929F36880F.jpeg

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’m sure that pitch drains very quickly. Looks like a bit of a break in the weather around game time.

Reactions: dru

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of the last pro match that went to uncontested scrums off the back of an unsuitable pitch?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
When I’m in town I usually go to a game either from the city, north, or east. Tonight I’m going from the inner west, what is a good pregame pub to the west of the stadium- bat & ball, clock?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
When I’m in town I usually go to a game either from the city, north, or east. Tonight I’m going from the inner west, what is a good pregame pub to the west of the stadium- bat & ball, clock?
The Excelsior Hotel Foveaux St Surry Hills…won’t be too busy.. straight up from Central .. then keep walking all the way up to Stadium

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Baffling?
Jake Gordon is the biggest handbrake to effective backline play I’ve ever seen. Couldn’t hit the side of a barn with his pass, he’s the only halfback I’ve seen that intentionally uses the bounce pass to his first receiver

I’d love to see him prove me wrong but he’s 15 tests in and yet to have a good one

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Jake Gordon is the biggest handbrake to effective backline play I’ve ever seen. Couldn’t hit the side of a barn with his pass, he’s the only halfback I’ve seen that intentionally uses the bounce pass to his first receiver

I’d love to see him prove me wrong but he’s 15 tests in and yet to have a good one

OK TT. We are on the run in to a test where Gordon is playing. It's time to wind your neck in for a couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.