• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks II, Allianz Stadium 7:35pm 03/09/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Time to get this ball rolling, are Springboks going to be so confident as to naming their team on Monday afternoon last week? I'd be impressed if they did. You'd imagine Duane will be benched. They are flush for 8s, no need to keep a man past it. Is it Elton after Pollard? Not sure who I'd want there. Beyond Pollard's two uncharacteristic misses but Koroibete broke his ankles easily on the way to the tryline, Pollard barely got a hand on him. Probably Marx to start as well.

For Australia, you don't go changing much after that. Probably can't reward Folau's wayward throwing with another start so in comes Porecki. Fingers crossed Ikitau is fine and we can roll out the same 23.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll call it early. Willemse at 10. le Roux in at 15. Wiese at 8. Marx starting.

Steyn out of the 23.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wouldn't be surprised to see some rotation through our available locks, but aside from Phillip starting again I'm not exactly sure what they'll go with. Bell is probably a chance to come back in ahead of Sio as well, though Sio didn't do anything wrong.

Is anyone else due back from injury now/soon or are the rest all long term outs?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would think about bringing Campbell on the bench. Would be nice to give him some minutes and see how he goes.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I would think about bringing Campbell on the bench. Would be nice to give him some minutes and see how he goes.
I'd like to see him get game time, but I think it only happens if we move away from a 6-2 split and I can't see them doing that.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You'd have to consider starting Kellaway at wing over Wright. He's clearly in our best 15.

Do they give Foley that spot on the bench? He covers flyhalf outwards. Might be a handy 'closer' given we've struggled there. I'd keep Folau as he was fantastic v Argentina and Porecki wasn't any better when he came on. TT's spot the most under question on the bench.

Actually - Jed Holloway? How do we reckon he's going? Adding a bit of balance to the lineout but it's not paying off. Leota may be worth another start but he's great impact off the bench. Holloway does provide options off the bench, so I'd go Leota at 6.

Last edited:

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I would start Porecki, Kellaway and Swain, Arnold, FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Wright to the bench. If Ikatau is out, Paisami to 13 and Foketi to 12. I think TT stays due to a lack of a suitable alternative, Bell to replace Sio, he's more dynamic, could be very useful in the closing stages. I don't accept his supposed scrummaging deficiency, it was the case when he was 19, that's 2 years ago. He doesn't boss a scrum, but he holds his own.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I don’t think you can carry foley on a 6-2 bench. Only really covers 10/12. Lol has earned the right to start again. Hodge covers 10. I’d bring Kellaway into the starting lineup and have petaia as the bench utility - purely because he covers more positions that Wright. Rest of the bench unchanged except Swain to start and Arnold on the bench.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually - Jed Holloway? How do we reckon he's going? Adding a bit of balance to the lineout but it's not paying off. Leota may be worth another start but he's great impact off the bench. Holloway does provide options off the bench, so I'd go Leota at 6.

I went back and watch the first half - here are the notes on Holloway:

Holloway
0-5
Ruck 1 (1 = first there)
Ruck 3 (3 = third there)
Ruck 3
Ruck 2
Ruck 1
Ruck 1

6-10
Run 0m after restart - settle 22m for box
Lineout
Run 0m
Run 0m turned over - no support.

11-15

16-20
Lineout knockon

21-25
Tackle on Pollard
Lineout receiver - stolen

26-30
Nothing - lot of scrums tho

31-35
Lineout take at the front
Ruck 2 but ineffective - turnover

36-40
With Phillip, disrupts the Bok maul right before Marika launches Mapimpi
Lineout at the front after the Fafslap.

So yeah, could be in line for a rest. He realigned OK off the ball but he's not prominent otherwise, and doing a bit of walking after the lost lineouts.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You'd have to consider starting Kellaway at wing over Wright. He's clearly in our best 15.
That's the great thing about the building some competition and depth in the outside backs - things aren't that clear cut

Wright was good on the weekend- I don't think he deserves to be dropped.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
1 Slipper
2 Porecki
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Phillip
5 Arnold
6 Leota
7 McReight
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge

16 Fainga'a
17 Bell
18 Tupou
19 Swain
20 Holloway
21 Samu
22 McDermott
23 Petaia

Not that Wright had a bad game, I just think Kellaway has to be in the starting 15 and Petaia can cover more positions off the bench. Give Arnold another crack, he was certainly better than the first game. Swain provides more punch off the bench, his maul defence against tired bodies was unreal. Holloway really hasn't done much, let's see if he can have more impact off the bench.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I was only joking. Campbell is nowhere near a spot just yet. I’d guess he is behind 3-4 others

There are currently only two main contenders to 15. Hodge and Kellaway. Petaia and Wright have had the opportunity and proven to be better suited to 14. I don't think Jock is as far off as you are suggesting. But I doubt it will be during the Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.