• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks II, Allianz Stadium 7:35pm 03/09/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting. We agree on the detail but my response, if I were managing the ref appointments, is that ref would be benched and guided toward creating better flow in the game. It's a high expectation for sure, but something I hope for in a test.

What were your thoughts on the video ref?

I'd blame the players far more than the referee for there not being better flow in the test. The Wallabies were poor and aside from a couple of really good passages I'm not sure the Springboks were amazing. They were pretty brutal in attack and defence particularly in the first half and that really had us struggling for territory and possession. We generally needed to kick when we got the ball and the rare times we had the ball in their half we tended to make an error or give away a penalty (e.g. neck roll, high cleanout).

The conditions also weren't great. It was pretty wet. Combined with the fact the Wallabies played half the game without a proper backline made it difficult.

I was at the game and haven't watched a replay so haven't listened to what the TMO said. The intervention with AAA's high clearout wasn't unreasonable and it was a good decision for it not to be yellow carded. The neck roll from Porecki was definitely correct.

Was anyone's overall impression of the game that it would have been fast and free flowing if not for the referee? It certainly wasn't mine. It was frustrating sure, but my frustration was certainly with how poorly the Wallabies played.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Time to rest White.. he stirred the Boks up with his antics last week and it came back to haunt him this week.

His on-field demeanour isn’t just antagonising the opposition, it’s antagonising the referee. There’s been a few matches now the referee has penalised White for talking back or cautioned Slipper he would do it if White kept yelling at the officials.

maybe it is too many minutes

White provided perfect fodder for the Boks to play their best " in your face" rugby. Seemed like everyone out there wanted a piece of the opposition, but particularly White. Mapimpi yelling "shut -up" at him and the ref telling Slipper to do the same were stand outs.

There was a moment during the game when White had his back to play with his arms out complaining to the ref when the SA player with the ball ran directly behind were White was standing. That had me yelling too, only I was asking for a little more than for him to shut up. He is skilful yes, but his antics are hard to cop and for me are detracting from our performances, time for a rest.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Nomad, fully agree.
I personally would have sent him back to club footy after the dive, that's a culture thing and it just goes against everything rugby stands for, but that's just me and I know no-one will agree (alternatively he could go to the A-League)
But apart from that, all the box kicks from inside our half when we have a cannon at FB, plus at least once every game we lose a turnover when the ball is sitting at the back feet but White is too busy remonstrating with the touch judge or the ref to pick it up, has just lost me. I have long considered him our best 9, but I'm over him now.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Nomad, fully agree.
I personally would have sent him back to club footy after the dive, that's a culture thing and it just goes against everything rugby stands for, but that's just me and I know no-one will agree (alternatively he could go to the A-League)

I think plenty agree with you.

Sending him back to club footy maybe a step too far, but I don't think he's head and shoulders above the likes of Gordon and McDermott that dropping him would have hurt us.

I think he would more benefit from a bit of time on the sideline and reflecting on how his game can actually help the Wallabies, than running around playing more footy.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nomad, fully agree.
But apart from that, all the box kicks from inside our half when we have a cannon at FB, plus at least once every game we lose a turnover when the ball is sitting at the back feet but White is too busy remonstrating with the touch judge or the ref to pick it up, has just lost me. I have long considered him our best 9, but I'm over him now.
He needs a serious talking to with an emphasis on "YOU ARE NOT THE CAPTAIN, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT".

Status
Not open for further replies.