• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's Holloways status? He recovered from his injury yet?

Last I heard (around May) was he was out for four months following surgery - must be getting close to being able to get back training at least. Possibility for EOYT?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
He was given the opportunity and he put in a forgettable performance...

The Fardy-Pooper was installed soon afterwards and there was no need for him in the squad.

Well the Hooper / Pocock combo has been a revelation and game breaker for us - NOT

But to be fair, I think Poey didn't play a couple of our last 6 losses.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pocock and Hooper were both nominated for IRB Player of the Year..........

Fardy was widely regarded as the form 6 of the tournament, and was listed in most publications 'team of the tournament' lists...........

But yeah, we lost to NZ......... so Higgers right?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Boks will have 4 quality locks. Hougard to wing
S24
Boks: Hougaard set to start at wing

2016-09-07 08:58

Cape Town - Francois Hougaard is likely to start at right wing for the Springboks in Saturday’s Rugby Championship Test against Australia in Brisbane.
According to Netwerk24, Hougaard trained in the position this week and is set to be included there for Saturday’s Test at Suncorp Stadium.
He will replace Ruan Combrinck, who is sidelined with a leg injury.
Hougaard can also play scrumhalf and his inclusion will allow coach Allister Coetzee to pick six forwards on the bench.
This will see reserve scrumhalf Rudy Paige miss out on selection in the 23-man squad, but will allow Coetzee to pick two locks on the bench.
Eben Etzebeth and Lood de Jager are likely to start, with Pieter-Steph du Toit and Franco Mostert providing cover off the bench.
Coetzee will name his team at 19:00 (SA time) on Wednesday.

If we get 1st phase domination, we'll take this one. Breakdowns a big worry.

Wallabies by 49.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The idiom about doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results being the definition of insanity only really suits a binary situation though.

There are clearly far too many variables in team sport for that to apply though. Game plan, selections and execution by the players on the night all have a big effect. Arguably execution on the night has the biggest impact on the team performance and result and is also the hardest to directly control.

The idiom you cited could just as easily be applied to constantly mixing up the selections expecting the result to change as being the definition of insanity.

If there was an easy solution there wouldn't be so many varying opinions on what Cheika should do to fix things.

Indeed. The best way for elite sports teams to improve their performance is to improve their execution. Major change is easy: all it takes is a keyboard to come up with all the answers. Persistence means hard toil in the face of adversity, and often doing the same thing over and over again until you get better at it than the opposing elite athletes who are working equally hard to achieve the same thing.

Of course, qualities like persistence, hard work and toil aren't fashionable. Especially on the Internet, where everyone has the answer, even it they're all different answers.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We were very competitive in the RWC Final. Do you give any credit to Hooper and Pocock?

Most critics did.

Yeah I've stated numerous time they are our best 2/3 players with Folau. But at the end of the day they are both 7's.

Maybe we would have won if Hooper came off the bench and provided much needed impact in the last 30mins. Who knows?

But now we've lost 6 games in a row.... so it's probably a good idea to try something different.

Then there's Poey leaving next year, so probably a good idea to try out some-one else at 8.

I guess I'm the type of person who likes to try something new when the current thing isn't working.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah I've stated numerous time they are our best 2/3 players with Folau. But at the end of the day they are both 7's.

Maybe we would have won if Hooper came off the bench and provided much needed impact in the last 30mins. Who knows?

But now we've lost 6 games in a row.. so it's probably a good idea to try something different.

Then there's Poey leaving next year, so probably a good idea to try out some-one else at 8.

I guess I'm the type of person who likes to try something new when the current thing isn't working.

What a smug closing line. If only we all had your Solomon-esque wisdom.

Yes we've lost 6 games in a row, but people are suggesting that the Pooper are not the cause of these losses. Rather, the stats show that without the Pooper, we could have lost by even more.

Its not ideal and if Holloway / Higgers were fit I wouldn't utilise it, but compared to other alternatives it seems to be the strongest option (provided we can sort out the lineout but I think with 3 jumpers we should be fine given we have a competent thrower - Moore hasn't been up to scratch - and a lineout team that can consistently be selected and become accustomed to one another - so far Coleman, Douglas and Fardy haven't had this opportunity).

We have far more problems within the work-rate of our tight five, the penalties we concede, the set piece and general defensive structure (specifically on the edges and in the backline).

The Pooper is a lovely scapegoat but if anything its a symptom of the current woes the Wallabies are facing, not the cause.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What a smug closing line. If only we all had your Solomon-esque wisdom.

Yes we've lost 6 games in a row, but people are suggesting that the Pooper are not the cause of these losses. Rather, the stats show that without the Pooper, we could have lost by even more.

Its not ideal and if Holloway / Higgers were fit I wouldn't utilise it, but compared to other alternatives it seems to be the strongest option (provided we can sort out the lineout but I think with 3 jumpers we should be fine given we have a competent thrower - Moore hasn't been up to scratch - and a lineout team that can consistently be selected and become accustomed to one another - so far Coleman, Douglas and Fardy haven't had this opportunity).

We have far more problems within the work-rate of our tight five, the penalties we concede, the set piece and general defensive structure (specifically on the edges and in the backline).

The Pooper is a lovely scapegoat but if anything its a symptom of the current woes the Wallabies are facing, not the cause.

Never said Pooper was the cause of the problem. So maybe try reading some of my other posts before jumping to conclusions.

You said it right there, provided we sort out the line-out. You know what will help the line-out - even if it's only a slight improvement - dropping the Pooper.

It's not like the "Pooper" is going to disappear. It just means it's saved for the last 35mins instead of the first 45mins - I find this better ending the game with the Pooper then starting it.

Imagine a fresh Hooper in the last 20mins of game carving it up against tired opposition.

So all you need is an 8 who can last 45mins. I'm sure Timani can last that long, McMahon is arguably just as good around the park and guess what; He's used regularly in the line-out so there's a point of difference there.

Do you guys really think playing two 7's is good for the long-term? Given we lost 6 in a row lets start thinking for the future. Developing some 8's to start with. Timani the prime candidate.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

In sport, as in life, that's generally the wrong approach. Success comes from getting better at things, not from trying new things. The best new thing to try is better execution. The worst way to improve execution is major change. With a few exceptions, where we simply lack players of sufficient quality, we pretty much know what our best team is. That team has to perform better.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I said before the last game that the negative media attention and comments were symbolic of a low or turning point. The last game was a marginal improvement on the previous one so perhaps I was right!

I agree with the posters who feel that some new combinations need an opportunity to develop, and existing ones to adapt to those around them. Which isn't to say that I necessarily agree with all of the selections, but I think it is foolish to make several changes to a team that is only young in terms of it's time together.

As such, my predicted changes to the starting lineup from the last game are:

- Mitchell and Hodge will occupy the wing positions
- Mumm will displace Fardy at 6

That's it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you guys really think playing two 7's is good for the long-term? Given we lost 6 in a row lets start thinking for the future. Developing some 8's to start with. Timani the prime candidate.

It's neither a cause for those 6 losses, nor is that going to solve our problems.........

Particularly as Timani's Super Rugby form wasn't screaming out for test selection.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....my predicted changes to the starting lineup from the last game are:

- Mitchell and Hodge will occupy the wing positions
- Mumm will displace Fardy at 6

Picking those two for the 11 and 14 jumpers doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Which highlights just how short we are of traditional wingers in Super rugby ATM. I banged on a few years ago how many wingers the Tahs have gone through the last few years (about eight) and was promptly put in my place wingers are cheap and expendable. And now we need 'em we're short.

Leave Mumm on the bench, he's excellent cover for 4/5/6. The front row of second rowers, Coleman/Douglas/Arnold, need more game time.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Quite possibly. Our breakdown stats in the England tests were excellent. We didn't lose those games because of the Pooper. We lost them because of intermittently poor defence, and because we lacked cohesion in attack, and thus failed to convert an avalanche of possession into points. Foley also kicked poorly.

None of those things had anything at all to do with Hooper, Pocock, or the Pooper as a strategy. If anything, our breakdown advantage vindicated the policy.

Neither is it because we lack a "rampaging 8". We have several players who can fill that on-the-ball role, and do. Kepu and Sio, for example. They just don't happen to be playing 8.

Why did we lose to the All Blacks? Because they're a much better team than we are currently. For once, the old saw that there aren't any Wobs who'd make their side is actually true. By removing Hooper or Pocock, we'd remove one of the three players we have who actually could make their side.

Developing players is great. Let's do it. But let's not do it by picking them to start tests unless they're actually the best option. Timani certainly isn't that option. He has good qualities but major weaknesses. He needs quite a bit of work to get to test level. That work can happen in the wider squad and on tour.

Holloway might well have been in the mix now but for injury.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Picking those two for the 11 and 14 jumpers doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Which highlights just how short we are of traditional wingers in Super rugby ATM. I banged on a few years ago how many wingers the Tahs have gone through the last few years (about eight) and was promptly put in my place wingers are cheap and expendable. And now we need 'em we're short.

Leave Mumm on the bench, he's excellent cover for 4/5/6. The front row of second rowers, Coleman/Douglas/Arnold, need more game time.

Agree re the wingers but it's a short term fix and by the time we are travelling we could have Speight and Naivalu occupying the spots. It won't surprise me a fraction if Speight is in the 23 this week because of the immediate deficiency you identify.

I think Mumm will start because our lineout was a whole lot better when he inadvertently came on for Fardy last game. So purely to get that off to a good start, he's also been a rare star in our big fowards' general play in the Bledisloe games. I think he'll be rewarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.