• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
A woeful game from SA, the worst they have played this season - and yet the Wobblies only just won - because they were slightly less shit than the Boks.

Its hard to imagine which other teams the Wobblies could beat playing that badly.

Of course the backline looked a bit more cohesive and creative, but that was only because the wobbly forwards were less bad than the Boks.

The only real improvement was the kicking for touch by Hodge, and Genia's kicking before he lost the plot in the last 20 minutes. QC (Quade Cooper) was the usual mixture, DHP looked better - but it was against weaker opposition.

Its very hard to imagine the Wbblies having enough to beat the Pumas, if the Pumas play like they did against the AB's in the first half they will be about 40 points ahead at half time!

The two results certainly seem to confirm the view that the AB's are now better than all comers by a bigger margin than ever, their response to the Pumas in the second half was clinical. It looks like the Wobblies, Pumas and Boks are all much of muchness at the next level down - with the Pumas looking the most improved.

Fuck me, better slash the wrists. It's not like we just beat the 3rd best team in the world or anything.

Fundamentally disagree with pretty much all of this. I think it was a really good game of footy with both sides putting each other under immense pressure. We played better and apart from the line out (which was actually also OK) showed massive improvements in almost every facet of the game.

Mental fortitude to come back from that early try is great as well.

Bugger you and your negativity! Great win by the boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Your'e right, he was pretty good at times - but against an impotent Bok side.

I think that not looking at the game in context of how the Boks plays will only raise false expectations and the nunrealistic assessment that anything much has changed since the 5 losses preceeeding this game.

Does anyone seriously think they would have won any of those 5 games with the team tonite?
Yeah. All of the soap dodgers games, maybe not the darkness though

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
Sorry! I am just a realistic sort of guy, and there wasnt much to be positive about tonite, sheesh, they tried damn hard to lose that game in the last 10 minutes, that was nerve wracking and anything but positive!

You mean a pessimist? You should be glad we won "tonight."

G

galumay

You're being a dick and you know it.

Instead of ad hominem attacks, why not try presenting compelling arguments to the contrary? It doesnt reflect well on you to attack people personally just because you disagree with them.

I watched the game with a couple of other Wallaby fans and we all agreed that 90% of what looked any better was due to the woeful opposition, it was a pretty shit game skills wise - and I dont think the wet ground played much of a part in that.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
A few post game thoughts
  1. Playing the Boks was a breath of fresh air. Our attack, line speed and even set piece looked revitalized and I think the boys were relieved to be playing against jerseys that were not black.
  2. Reece Hodge was solid. yet to display the attacking venom of other wallaby backs but physical and dependable under pressure. Same can be said of DHP tonight.
  3. Samu Kerevi's decision making need work. Somebody tell that man that he is allowed to pass, but not kick!
  4. The tactic of not contesting a maul is not in the spirit of the game. Rugby is about physically confronting your opponent. Not committing to a maul seems like a smart ass tactic and very un-Wallaby. Nearly cost us a try earlier and I hope that is the end of it.
  5. A bit trivial, but it shits me to hear the fox commentators repeatedly talking about the NRL game from the previous night. why give a plug to another game? I doubt Ray Warren and the other channel 9 boneheads would be talking about the next nights rugby test.
  6. Will be absolutely magnificent waking up on a Sunday morning after a Wallabies win

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Fundamentally disagree with pretty much all of this. I think it was a really good game of footy with both sides putting each other under immense pressure. We played better and apart from the line out (which was actually also OK) showed massive improvements in almost every facet of the game.

It was a reasonably good game of footy. Both sides made mistakes, but by the same token both sides put pressure on each other in defence.

For mine, the best thing to come out of the game was Reece Hodge - what a difference it makes knowing that every time we get a penalty we can make 40 easy metres and get a lineout throw.

Can't fault the passion and committment of either side.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Instead of ad hominem attacks, why not try presenting compelling arguments to the contrary? It doesnt reflect well on you to attack people personally just because you disagree with them.

I watched the game with a couple of other Wallaby fans and we all agreed that 90% of what looked any better was due to the woeful opposition, it was a pretty shit game skills wise - and I dont think the wet ground played much of a part in that.

Thanks for your help. Editing out the part in which I explained why I disagreed was a masterstroke - I think the wet ground probably did have something to do with it. Strangely, it does seem to affect handling quite frequently.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sorry! I am just a realistic sort of guy, and there wasnt much to be positive about tonite, sheesh, they tried damn hard to lose that game in the last 10 minutes, that was nerve wracking and anything but positive!

"I am just a realistic sort of guy" is the type of dogmatic and self-righteous bullshit I hate. Take any intro-psychology course (or indeed, any intro-University level courses in the psych / arts / social study fields) and you'll come to a quick and horrific realisation that reality, atleast in terms of the human experience, is largely and profoundly subjective. Refuting the fact that you are being negative (and thus could be construed as a pessimist) by stating that you are a "realist" has as much intellectual-grounding as those who believe that the definition of insanity is doing "the same thing over and over but expecting different results".

"Wasn't much to be positive about".

Well then, lets break that down shall we:

Lets go back to Week 1 of the RC, we'd just gone down 0-3 in a test series against England, the age old enemy, at home. It was much closer than what is now admitted, but the public didn't like it and confidence was at an all time low. We're facing the best side in the world, who had just run away with the RWC GF, and we're shitting ourselves. We run out, show absolutely no intent, and cop a beating that made the English series seem like childs play.

The next week we played them again, lost by another considerable amount but showed a bit more intent and commitment in defence. A step in the positive direction, even if it was a small one.

This week we took another, albeit much larger step. The determination in defence was far improved. We competed very well in the set piece, with the lineout being a huge improvement from the previous week, and we had periods of domination in the scrum.

We've finally found an engine room (second row pairing of Douglas / Coleman) that look like they'll be able to compete against the best of the best (Simmons and Skelton can stay in NRC-land). The forwards also gave away FAR fewer penalties than the last two weeks, and our relationship with the referee was much improved.

Most importantly, our attacking game / kicking game really lifted. We had several astute tactical kicks, and several passages of beautiful attacking play as facilitated by the Foley / Cooper axis. We mixed up the point of attack a lot. We went wide, we went inside, we attacked on the fridges, up the centre. We used bombs, cross field kicks, no look passes. The whole lot. Of course there were a few moments of stupidity (Foley's two intercepts) or lulls in attacking creativity, but thats to be expected of a team thats just come off a HUGE generalised lull, and is attempting a complete rebuild.

Most importantly, for the most part, I think that our team seemed infinitely more composed. We weren't rushing things, we didn't look terrified. The Wallabies team against the All Blacks looked like a deer in headlights. Tonight that didn't rear its ugly head until for the first 50.

In the last 30 it unfortunately crept in, but that was to be expected given the state of the game. 30 minutes to go and we were infront! Better not fuck it up! And everyone knows the best way to not fuck it up is to go into your shell. That way, if we do lose, you won't be blamed for chancing your arm. If you just catch, shovel on and kick then who can blame you? Right?

6 of the 23 had never won in Wallabies colours. The other, more experienced 17 had just been dragged through mud and broken glass since the start of the England test. They were absolutely terrified that they might lose their grip on the game. They'd cop another huge shellacking in the media, and more importantly, they'd let their coach down, placing even more pressure on him in the public eye.

That win will do a lot to help their confidence moving forward. Another win against the Puma's and suddenly this Freudian 'fear of death' will be much less of a factor.

So yeah, it wasn't perfect, but you're absolutely pipe-smoking, arm-scratching, pants-pissed and vocal-slurring off your fucking head if you think there wasn't a marked improvement and that theres nothing to be positive about.

Seriously. Nothing will please some Australian Rugby fans. Trust me, I'd know, I support the Waratahs and attend their games (I've heard people complain, after a try was scored, that it wasn't scored in a better manner).

TL;DR: You are wrong. Read a book.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well done Wallabies.
Enjoyed watching big forwards try to take a pass on the burst instead of waiting to catch it before running. Didn't always turn to gold but it's a big step up.
Enjoyed Hodge's "9th forward" approach to the breakdown. Very strong game all round.
I'd like to replay Genia's try saving tackle a lot.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
A few post game thoughts
  1. Playing the Boks was a breath of fresh air. Our attack, line speed and even set piece looked revitalized and I think the boys were relieved to be playing against jerseys that were not black.
  2. Reece Hodge was solid. yet to display the attacking venom of other wallaby backs but physical and dependable under pressure. Same can be said of DHP tonight.
  3. Samu Kerevi's decision making need work. Somebody tell that man that he is allowed to pass, but not kick!
  4. The tactic of not contesting a maul is not in the spirit of the game. Rugby is about physically confronting your opponent. Not committing to a maul seems like a smart ass tactic and very un-Wallaby. Nearly cost us a try earlier and I hope that is the end of it.
  5. A bit trivial, but it shits me to hear the fox commentators repeatedly talking about the NRL game from the previous night. why give a plug to another game? I doubt Ray Warren and the other channel 9 boneheads would be talking about the next nights rugby test.
  6. Will be absolutely magnificent waking up on a Sunday morning after a Wallabies win
3. I think that was kuridrani?
5. If you're referring to them saying that Kane Douglass's brother played for the Titans, that's fine for mine. It's kinda like saying matt To'omua's wife is playing soccer or cricket or Aussie rules or something for Australia, they're not promoting the sport. If they're comparing coopers kick with thurstons or something like that, then yes that's off limits

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Fuck me, better slash the wrists. It's not like we just beat the 3rd best team in the world or anything.

Mental fortitude to come back from that early try is great as well.

Bugger you and your negativity! Great win by the boys

Hear Hear. What is the point of following a team if you don't enjoy the success. Pleanty to be happy about tonight

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No, realistic.

I am glad they won.
Really. Because you can't ever seem to wait to jump on here and tell us all how shit you think Australian rugby is. On a site where a fair mountains of negativity gets lumped, your posts are just about the most obnoxious. Judging by numerous other posters, I am not the only one who thinks so.

Of course, it is your right to have an opinion, post it in here and, I expect, not give a shit what we think of it.

But, and I am quite genuine in wondering this, if you find Australian rugby so shit, as you evidently do, why don't you just go find something else to do?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I really like the look of Hodge. A real no-nonsense straight up footballer. I predict a long career in gold if he continues his current development. I'd like to see him move into the centres at some stage too.

Indeed. Like his directness, great boot. Good attitude.
On another note, DHP had a much better game too.
In fact most of the "newer" players were pretty good - Coleman, Kerevi, Ala'alatoa also had good games, I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.