• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
From a Welsh perspective, it is a strong team fielded for us but still giving a few a chance to stake their first team place. This has meant we have a strong bench though with the likes of Liam Williams, Rob Evans, Biggar etc usual starters. Gats is building toward RWC and has been for the past 6 months and hasn't been against giving outsiders a good run out. In the past, it's been hard to dislodge a first choice player but you put your hand up now and you get a chance.

Not far off a second choice backrow for us but that sounds worse than it is as we have a lot of depth there now. Faletau, Cubby, Navidi, Shingler all out and Ellis Jenkins just returning. Patchell is another missing in the backs who might come in come RWC. Pity Rhys Webb is ruled out due to playing in France as he is our best quality 9. Our front row has a bit of depth as well now so again Gats is trying out his options. Nicky Smith is not the greatest of scrumagers though so a possible target. In the 2nd row we have Jake Ball not up for selection it seems as he has been out, who for me would be AWJ,s partner. A few youngsters have come through who are capable enough. Experience at this level is helping with squad depth.

As far as OZ are concerned, they seem to like playing us as we will often enter into the open style play which suits you. Many close games and losing at the death has to have a mental effect on Wales. Wonder if they might keep it a bit tighter as they easily dominated the Scots last week at the breakdown and defence was pressuring them all game. Oz have not been on a good run for a while but their record against us must give them a bit of a lift. If Wales play a more controlled game and learn not to kick loose ball to your back 3 then I think they will take Oz. If Wales go out trying to run Oz of the park and have a similar kicking game as we did against the Scots then Oz will punish us ending in another win for them.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
Gareth Anscombe has been improving season over season and now looks International quality. Wasn't sure he was going to get there initially but now deserves his shot. If Patchell had not been injured I think he might have got the nod going into this AI series.

B

Bobby Sands

Early days Anscombe looked like he was going to be a star, and a definite All-Black. Will be very interesting how it all unfolds to state the bleeding obvious.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies to face Wales

1. Scott Sio (52 Tests)

2. Tolu Latu (10 Tests)

3. Allan Ala'alatoa (30 Tests)

4. Izack Rodda (14 Tests)

5. Adam Coleman (28 Tests)

6. Jack Dempsey (7 Tests)

7. Michael Hooper (c) (88 Tests)

8. David Pocock (75 Tests)

9. Will Genia (97 Tests)

10. Bernard Foley (65 Tests)

11. Sefa Naivalu (8 Tests)

12. Kurtley Beale (81 Tests)

13. Samu Kerevi (22 Tests)

14. Israel Folau (70 Tests)

15. Dane Haylett-Petty (28 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (86 Tests)

17. Sekope Kepu (100 Tests)

18. Taniela Tupou (9 Tests)

19. Rob Simmons (91 Tests)

20. Ned Hanigan (18 Tests)

21. Nick Phipps (70 Tests)

22. Matt To'omua (39 Tests)

23. Jack Maddocks (5 Tests)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tolu Latu is a genuine roll of the dice. The most upside and downside of our hookers. I would have picked FF (Folau Fainga'a) with tPN on the bench.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This team just seems so ho-hum. I’m thinking that probably it didn’t matter what group was put forward by Cheika it is how I would react. Which seems unfair to Cheika. But I’m not feeling like it’s unfair at all.

There is some consistency here that might help. This should keep edging towards better familiarity with the barn dance, and even possibly the pigs finding better spots to hit than the peak strength of the opposition. Maybe the Boyos are more freaked out by old history than the gold are by the recent. Could be a blinder for us.

But I’m not holding my breath. Head says Wales by 7 and Australia heading towards the bottom of the top ten.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I reckon it's the best team we've put out this year, providing Coleman, Dempsey and kerevi are at full fitness and Latu doesn't get carded
Few line calls. Simmons has probably had more good games than Rodda. I really think Beale should have been dropped by now, with To'omua coming in at 12.

Im stoked Naivalu is back in the fold though. I thought he was the strike winger we had been looking for and then he went and did his ankle straight away.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
but that's a reputational selection right? You haven't been watching him play in Japan I assume? Nor have I so I've got no idea whether he's up to it now.

Yeah, no real idea, but it made the side work with the cattle available. I just like the idea of a Aus RWC team with Kerevi and Kuridrani at 12/13 and Beale playing second player make from 15, with DHP & Folau both back there as well.

I just don't think Foley & Beale works at test level as 10/12 but I also don't think Toumua is a effective enough second playmaker either despite being a great defender and solid player

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is Hadleigh Parkes the same player who turned out for the Sunwolves this year? I'm pretty sure that was the name of the player who kicked at about 99.99% over the season.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Must be training the house down. Or have some sort of Cheika-specific appeal on the turps.

I'm still torn on Latu. The best half we've seen from a hooker this year was still his second stanza against Ireland in Sydney - he genuinely changed the game.

At his best he's better than FF (Folau Fainga'a), TPN, BPA, and anyone else. But his frequent brain snaps drive me mental. I'm just not sure he's worth the risk, though I'm happy for him to get a few more chances on this tour.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm still torn on Latu. The best half we've seen from a hooker this year was still his second stanza against Ireland in Sydney - he genuinely changed the game.

At his best he's better than FF (Folau Fainga'a), TPN, BPA, and anyone else. But his frequent brain snaps drive me mental. I'm just not sure he's worth the risk, though I'm happy for him to get a few more chances on this tour.
If his brain 'snaps' at any point from here on out he should be ruled out of the RWC i think. Hes had a few years now.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Could be the ultimatum for Latu. Nail it and the 2 jersey is yours, do some dumb shit and that’s it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is Hadleigh Parkes the same player who turned out for the Sunwolves this year? I'm pretty sure that was the name of the player who kicked at about 99.99% over the season.
Welsh players have to be based in Wales now. Hence no Rhys Webb (poor bastard signed a contract in France a few weeks before the rule change).

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Cool, midget backrow and a hooker with American ordinance guidance systems in his brain, and two lightweight and mostly ineffective players off the bench to fill in when the lineout falls apart.

What the hell does Banks have to do to get a run?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Cool, midget backrow and a hooker with American ordinance guidance systems in his brain.

What's the alternative Brumbieman? Dempsey seems a pretty clear choice at 6 for mine, given the few times he's worn that jersey he's performend well.

And I've discussed Latu above, but surely you agree that no other candidate has done enough to secure the jersey.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What's the alternative Brumbieman? Dempsey seems a pretty clear choice at 6 for mine, given the few times he's worn that jersey he's performend well.

And I've discussed Latu above, but surely you agree that no other candidate has done enough to secure the jersey.
Folau Fainga'a just had his best game against the ABs, where as Latu came off the pine and nailed his own coffin shut.

But like you say, maybe this is last chance saloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.