• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Wales never looked like scoring take the 3 points when your bang in front get the ball back, go again, scoreboard pressure and the lead.. Not taking those points was strange.

Each to their own, any other day we would’ve converted one of those chances into a try

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wales never looked like scoring take the 3 points when your bang in front get the ball back, go again, scoreboard pressure and the lead.. Not taking those points was strange.
Cost us the game.
The forward play was terrible at times and we lacked the ability to finish with so much pill in the first 20-30 minutes.
Hard to watch.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I guess the upside is we played like absolute shit and still nearly won, Wales have absolutely nothing not really worried about playing them at the World Cup at all

Simmons and Hanigan really showed they shouldn’t be there, both directly responsible for that last penalty that put Wales in front, I’d rather our starters be cooked and stay on than having those guys come on the field

We are in desperate need of a forwards coach, silly penalties, too much one out shit, lineouts a mess

All the kicking was weird especially from Kurtley

Liked that we went for lineouts instead of shots at goal though, even if it didn’t pay off

I would go as far to say neither team had absolutely anything!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Genia and Pocock were both incredible. Both regularly pulling off momentum changing plays. The rest of the backs were mediocre. Defended well but no penetration. Beale's decision making was truly awful.

I thought Dempsey was very quiet as was Hooper apart from a good maul shutdown. Locks were okay in patches, but Coleman seems to be continuing the trend of stupid penalties. Din't see much from either prop too. Bench tight 5 did make a significant difference in the scrum.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A very disjointed display from the Wallabies. Some poor decision making, particularly the non shots at goal in the second half. Their general kicking was also poor with it appearing they had no option against the Welsh defensive line and just kicking it away.

Kurtley Beale was trying hard but nothing was working and look at the players around him when he tried to get something happening - they didn't know where to go or what to do.

I found it strange they would kick a high ball off first phase in the Welsh 22 when the wide game was putting Wales under pressure early in the game.

Could be a very different bench next week as I thought some in ours were poor, whilst others were OK, like To'omua who had balls of steel to kick that penalty from wide out under the chorus of boo's.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
How’s this Foley at 10 thing working out for us? I know, I know - it wasn’t Foley’s fault, he was one of our best and there is nobody else out there to replace him.... I guess we if we just keep picking him and his pop gun kick it will turn around. We all love Foley and losing isn’t so bad....

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Liked that we went for lineouts instead of shots at goal though, even if it didn’t pay off

And therein lies our problem.
We don't have the ability to score tries, so we must take the 3 instead.
But no, Cheika is wedded to a failed philosophy and keeps repeating this losing mistake over and over.
It would have been much better to win a test against Wales on penalty kicks than lose with our poor attempts at scoring tries.
You know, like Wales did.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
A win by increments of three would have been preferable for sure.

Italy will be licking their chops

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
What a complete waste of a Saturday afternoon. I’ll be sticking to the short version of the highlights until the Wallabies figure out how to play Rugby again.

There actually may be better kickers in the US Eagles - absolutely pathetic

Good luck, everyone

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A lot of elite level rugby takes place in the 6 inch space between the ears.
Being in front on penalty goals must surely bring more confidence to players who will go on to score tries from scrums, field position, and pressure.
SO TAKE THE 3!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The other issue with not taking the points is that our lineout was clearly struggling, and had been all year.

Maybe if the lineout was clearly dominant and our driving maul was working I could understand.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Compared to AB's vs England game I thought pretty crap game and standard from both sides. Wales are not top 3 side so their current ranking bit of a farse in my books. But then again Wallabies are equally not a top 3 side and current ranking reflects where they are at.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eh, Wales dished up Scotland last week and show they have scoring ability. Yeah we lost and didn't score any tries, but our defence never looked like letting up, which is a change for once.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
A win by increments of three would have been preferable for sure.

Italy will be licking their chops

Italy will be an interesting game to watch, it might be the first time we have ever played our best possible 15 against them, usually it is a bit of a "development" team. I think RA will be keen to have a big win to cheat themselves into thinking nothing is wrong

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...captain-admits-stuff-ups-20181111-p50fbi.html

Wallabies captain Michael Hooper admits he got it wrong by opting against taking two potential penalties on offer against Wales in Australia’s tryless 9-6 loss that coach Michael Cheika insisted wasn’t the end of the world.

On reflection, Hooper said he should have taken the points on offer in a low-scoring affair.
“If I had my time again I would have gone for the shot,” Hooper said. “I backed our guys, backed the want to get the try and keep the foot on, but probably my reading of the game there was amiss with the fact it was going to come down to penalties in the end.
RELATED ARTICLE
23d039a5fbf83c8065c124263b211ac05bd1a45c
Add to shortlist

“Hindsight is a nice factor, but I should have gone for goal.”

plenty more in the story as well, comments by Cheika after the game

Status
Not open for further replies.