• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
We have absolutely no chance of beating the orcs mate. None.
As long as we keep our heads and keep doing the simple things well we can beat anyone. So no, we are pretty much no chance.

Though we did have a good half of football against an Argentina side who failed to come back out after halftime a couple of months ago. Maybe Cheika has recorded his motivational address.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Isn't that how we beat Ireland in the first test? Toughed it out for 60 minutes, got down their end, kicked a penalty to take the lead and then got over for a try to clinch it? The difference in how we ground out that game vs how we blew it in this game really shows our regression as the season has unfolded.

Season on season it might be a regression - but through the tours this year it isnt. Progress is not exciting but there is progress.And it came from a poor starting point.

We are running with Cheikas thinking which lurched from one extreme to another. This has largely settled. But it has come at a cost one of which is a lack of knowledge as to how to win a rugby match.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
the streak.png

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This is as bad as I can remember a Wallaby outfit in my 35 years of watching them and the results show it. It's not the available players. I look at the line up and think that's a good group, with the potential to be world beaters. It's got to be structure, the game plan or the attitude. Italy will be fancying their chances next week.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Haha, that is some awesome soccer skills on show right there.

Pocock shouldn't have been in that position though.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Its been stark.

Talking about regression. The team isnt that different to the one that got to the RWC final. How have we become this shit? Coaching is certainly partly to blame, but that doesn't explain the individual mistakes, or the stupid stupid on field decisions. Fucks going on?

It’s very different Derpus dude... No Moore, Fardy, Douglas, Slipper, Gituea, Mitchell, ACC, Kurindrani

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Its been stark.

Talking about regression. The team isnt that different to the one that got to the RWC final. How have we become this shit? Coaching is certainly partly to blame, but that doesn't explain the individual mistakes, or the stupid stupid on field decisions. Fucks going on?

It was fairly different......... this was the team that defeated England, although I reckon our lock stocks are better now:

15. Israel Folau
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
13. Tevita Kuridrani
12. Matt Giteau
11. Rob Horne
10. Bernard Foley
9. Will Genia

1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. David Pocock

REPLACEMENTS
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Greg Holmes
19. Dean Mumm
20. Ben McCalman
21. Nick Phipps
22. Matt To'omua
23. Kurtley Beale

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought a Kerevi was poor. He spilled the pill in a certain try and ran into defenders and tried to out muscle them rather than run into gaps to beat them. His defence was pretty good but I am back to thinking he is not the answer.
Hope Petaia gets a run this week with To'omua at 12.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have been absent because I just can't be bothered anymore. I watched half of the AB game in Japan, and the performance was utter crap, unprofessional you could call it in the absolute lack of skill execution, but that has been an ongoing theme since they outperformed in 2015, and part of a continuous decline since 1999.

Now the Welsh game I actually recorded as part of the complete package of tests played last night. Out of all the games the Wallabies/Wales game had the lowest skill level and ability to generate some cohesive attack, even if we make the excuse of weather the execution of a traditional conservative kicking game which would have been sensible was beyond the Wallabies whose best efforts were to kick long down the centre of the field with no real chasers. The Welsh kicking was at least contestable. Gatland is an extremely limited coach really, this is the worst test side Australia has produced since professionalism by a long way, which is shown in the results and the actual play, and the best they can do is grind out a win by 3.

The complete lack of accountability for any aspect of performance has led the Wallabies to this point, accountability for not only the players in this squad but in coaching and even before that in the very management of the game in Australia since Professionalism burst in 1996. Since that time those at the trough have raped and pillaged the game and left nothing but scraps for the real development. The latest and I now hope final instalment of this is the obscene salaries of all at the trough, with no actual successful performance in sight, and nothing highlights this better than Hooper's 4-5 year deal for $Ms for a player not even the best in his position and not a Captain's asshole. A player involved in one of the most shameful episodes in Australian Rugby history, and the perpetrator of that gets to not only continue playing on, with money he also does not deserve but gets the right to make alterations to the jersey. The fact that Cheika has plenty of cash before he got this job somehow makes it less offensive that he is being paid to do a job he has no idea of how to actually achieve results, immediate or medium term. Forget the long term, at this rate they'll be lucky to pay the light bill. As for the others in the coaching box, Grey has presided over the worst defensive systems ever in Australian Rugby at both Super Level and Wallabies level since 2014 and 15 respectively, on what basis does he remain employed in that role? Likewise Larkham, he doesn't even have the benefit of ever coaching a team to real success in an attacking role, with the Brumbies best showings on the back of a forwards maul them to death system. He has no claim, what so ever to an elite coaching role.

The potential of this players available is far far greater than what the coaching staff is selecting, the tactics and systems they have and the final output we are seeing.

I do not expect that any other coach would have this side much better than 3rd or 4th in the world, but it is not too much to expect people being paid multiples of the median wage to actually perform at the job or be held accountable for it, and for some integrity in the systems of management so that people who transgress do not continue to represent the country and have access to the trough.

To look on the bright side if Cheika actually has an epiphany of honesty tonight and resigned along with Larkham and Grey admitting they have no idea what they are doing, extremely unlikely given they have no idea of how to analyse rugby, self awareness and honesty will be far beyond them, we have 4 more years of Hooper no matter what happens with the ridiculous contract he was offered. There is some absolute incompetence for you Raelene, exactly what you did at the Canterbury Bulldogs, and that extends the incompetence to Clyne (yet again) and the board (also yet again).

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Its been stark.

I've seen some very intelligent and talented people do some seriously daft shit when being led by a moron

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I've got a different question. How can someone with pococks physique not make any metrrs with ball in hand? I'd like to see the stats. Feels like 5 runs for minus 1 metres every game. We gloss over it because hes a messiah 7 but he's honestly a seriously average 8

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@ Jimmy - ^^^^ Its actually part of the complete incompetence of Cheika and Co that he continues to be selected at 8, Pocock is NOT George Smith, he has no real running or linking game, he is the best fetching 7 in Australia, followed by (not in Australia Gill and McMahon). Hooper is not and only has been for a short time the best 7. If we had available a blockbusting 6 in the mould of Finnegan, D. Manu, I. Tabua or Willie O we could carry two ineffective 7s (running in tight). There is not a 6 like that available so the continued selection of both in the backrow is stupidity and has been since the end of the 2015 RWC when the Pooper was owned in the final. I would say in fact that Hooper's actual work as a forward has declined over the same period and now he plays like a close in centre, but makes less metres than any other international centre.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
It’s become Cheika’s travelling Wallabies circus... someone has to call it for what it has become...
Hooper isn’t not Australia’s best 7 but he gets the stop as Cheika’s Captain... it’s just a joke he should be on the bench with Pocock starting at 7 and another in at No.8.
No.6 Dempsey Hanigan isn’t working either get Samu in asap or another. And please Foley in Europe. If I hear Cheika is a big believer again in guys that haven’t been blooded in Super rugby again Like become a Collingwood supporter...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We have almost gone a full RWC cycle and Cheikas Wallabies are playing more or less in the same way based around spreading the ball wide fast and often and the ability of the Pooper to dominate at the breakdown, which we rarely do anymore.
Cheika has a proven record in Europe and here but his downfall is his total inflexibility and outright rejection of the possibility that his systems are no longer effective and probably will not be again in the near future.
It is very arrogant and the lack of plans B and C have always been an Achilles heel, never more so than now.
Ledesmas influence was very positive on our set piece but it has followed him to Argentina without a trace.
The outlook is bleak.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
@ Jimmy - ^^^^ Its actually part of the complete incompetence of Cheika and Co that he continues to be selected at 8, Pocock is NOT George Smith, he has no real running or linking game, he is the best fetching 7 in Australia, followed by (not in Australia Gill and McMahon). Hooper is not and only has been for a short time the best 7. If we had available a blockbusting 6 in the mould of Finnegan, D. Manu, I. Tabua or Willie O we could carry two ineffective 7s (running in tight). There is not a 6 like that available so the continued selection of both in the backrow is stupidity and has been since the end of the 2015 RWC when the Pooper was owned in the final. I would say in fact that Hooper's actual work as a forward has declined over the same period and now he plays like a close in centre, but makes less metres than any other international centre.

And often just gets in the way of the backs... Hooper should be benched

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That loss is on the coaching staff IMO.

There are some losses where it's hard to blame the coaches (just wait, hear me out). Easy tackles are missed, brain-snap decisions cost us players/points, and we botch the simple things.

This was not one of those games. The players, more or less, showed up. The forwards ran and tackled hard. There was no shortage of effort or enthusiasm, and we didn't concede the soft YC that we are prone to.

But our game plan was woeful. Our set piece was shambolic. And the fault for that rests with the coaching staff. We had a game for the taking, and only conceded 9 points. But we were playing park footy, and we didn't seem to have any trust in our plan or systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.