• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Donaldson over Lolesio!

1. James Slipper (c) (126 Tests)
2. Folau Fainga’a (37 Tests)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (63 Tests)
4. Nick Frost (8 Tests)
5. Cadeyrn Neville (7 Tests)
6. Jed Holloway (9 Tests)
7. Fraser McReight (9 Tests)
8. Langi Gleeson (2 Tests)
9. Jake Gordon (19 Tests)
10. Ben Donaldson (1 Test)
11. Mark Nawaqanitawase (2 Tests)
12. Reece Hodge (61 Tests)
13. Len Ikitau (25 Tests)
14. Jordan Petaia (24 Tests)
15. Tom Wright (22 Tests)

Replacements

16. Lachlan Lonergan (7 Tests)
17. Tom Robertson (30 Tests)
18. Sam Talakai*
19. Ned Hanigan (27 Tests)
20. Pete Samu (32 Tests)
21. Tate McDermott (20 Tests)
22. Noah Lolesio (16 Tests)
23. Jock Campbell (3 Tests)

No Swain or Gibbon. Interesting he went for Robertson at LH over Gibbon
Donaldson over Lolesio and Gordon over McDermott are curious calls

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Coach Dave Rennie wondered aloud before the team departed Australia for a five-match European tour whether such ill discipline could be blamed on bad selection.
Forum posters wondered aloud what the absolute f*** Jake Gordon has to do before his ill discipline counts against him

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
All things considered, that's a pretty good side. Which is what makes it so mystifying why we haven't won more games this year (yes, yes, composure, discipline etc). Even with all the injuries there are still some good footballers running out onto the park this weekend.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Reading the write up of the selections, it seems that Rennie rates Wright's work off the ball. I've seen him mention a few times his "voice".

He also mentioned it in reference to Donaldson and have seen him mention it (negatively) about Lolesio.

Reading between the lines its almost like the backline isn't being assertive enough in either what they want from the forwards or what the calls/opportunities are

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gordon aside - Wright at fullback over Campbell is criminal.

If ever a test match was a throwaway its this fucker. Why would you even do this?

Nah, after the positive showing of our back 3 last week there was no chance for Campbell coming back in.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gordon however is a strange one to stick to...

If they were somewhat serious about cracking down on serial offenders, he wouldn't be near the team after a series of costly penalties he's personally responsible for in the last two tests.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gordon aside - Wright at fullback over Campbell is criminal.

If ever a test match was a throwaway its this fucker. Why would you even do this?
I did also previously say this was possibly the most important test after the Scrotum game so ignore me eh

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So, of the 25 players available, Gibbon and Swain are spectators until someone else goes down in training or the warm-up. If its a back then we'll have to go 6:2 and bring in Swain to make 23. If its a forward then Swain comes in unless its a front rower. If we lose a hooker or half pre-game then we're pretty well stuffed.

Anyone think that in hindsight not calling up some stop-gap reserves was an error?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would have preferred Campbell at 15, mainly because it's hard to put your confidence in Tom at the back, but I take Slim's comment about that back three last week. If they reproduce that form, then the combination could be a winner.

Gordon over Tate, I do not understand.

The backrow also has me nervous. Both of Jed and Fraser are quite inexperienced still, and teamed up with a debutant at No 8 could lead to a lot of questions after the game.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I think Campbell not at 15 is cooked. Not taking a shot at Wright here at all, but you have a fullback and a winger - let them play fullback and wing. FFS. I get there’s lots of changes now due to the huge amount of injuries, but this one just feels totally unnecessary.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Makes no sense to carry Jock on the bench. He's a true one position player as opposed to Wright and Petaia who can more easily ape as a fullback if absolutely needed.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Nah, after the positive showing of our back 3 last week there was no chance for Campbell coming back in.

Wright was solid last week but if that performance guarantees his place in the 15 out of position then his bar is way too low.

Given the crisis of availability it is reasonable to expect selections that don't necessarily reflect the previous week's performances.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I can see the logic from Rennie in terms of using Wright at 15. At this point he is the only back three player with any level of experience playing for the Wallabies. If you have Jock-Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)-Petaia that's basically 10 total test caps at their respective positions (Petaia has played in the centers I believe, but has been in and out with injuries non-stop).

You don't want to take out Petaia or Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) as they both played great last week, so Wright goes to 15. Wright also played one of his better games last week.

It isn't a video game. Sometimes you need players that know the system and have some level of authority/maturity (can't believe I am saying that about Wright mind you, but these are strange times). If Wright can help organize the defense and make the offense run its systems correctly, that's a bonus.

You also have a debutant 10, so a bit more experience in the backline is a good thing.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Makes no sense to carry Jock on the bench. He's a true one position player as opposed to Wright and Petaia who can more easily ape as a fullback if absolutely needed.

They are covered given the starters/bench and the fact that Petaia, Hodge and Wright can move around.

If 12/13 gets injured they move Petaia to 12, Wright to 11, Campbell to 15.

If Donaldson or Wright get injured you bring on Lolesio/Campbell.

If Petaia/Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) get injured you bring on Campbell and Wright goes to wing.

If three of them get injured you move Jake Gordon to 11 and lose on a penalty at the hooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.