• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Call me nuts but I view this tour as a positive
We’ve discovered our issues and can fix them
Have unearthed some great players (starters and bench). Can realistically field a solid and experienced second xv
And have proven that with discipline and execution we can beat Ireland or France and NZ.
I would say now that we could go deep in the World Cup if injuries don’t hurt us and I wouldn’t have said that 12 months ago

Yeah, I was getting pretty down on this season until I saw our injury/unavailable list and holy shit. The fact that we at no stage were comprehensible beaten by anyone. In fact running both France and Ireland close away having to use so many players just to cover the losses changes my perspective.

Agent

Jimmy Flynn (14)
They both suck tbh. One of them will probably be the 3rd 10 taken to the RWC but at this stage it’s Quade and Foley.
We still need to develop our next long term 5/8. We can’t keep relying on Quade and Bernie. Both are well into their 30’s and Quade has to come back from a major injury and Bernie isn’t the player he was a few years ago. Neither of them are guaranteed a RWC spot so we are going to have to pick and stick with Donaldson or Lolesio at some stage.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I actually think Donaldson was pretty good. He was on the field when we were penalised off the park. Couple of cards. Then Lolesio came on with no pressure and got a chance to throw it around a little. Don't get me wrong I think he did well but I think Donaldson would have also exploited the space with his running and passing game.
Also got all his kicks. They weren’t particularly difficult but confidence building nevertheless after the hospital pass on debut

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The game is virtually unwatchable now tbh. I think I might move on.

Win or not is irrelevant. The referees are taking centre stage and injecting themselves into every facet of the match. They are 100% influencing the games more than ever. It's shithouse to watch.

WALESVSAUS.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the evolution of their youtube highlights offering and continued marketing from World Rugby "Closest world cup EVA!!!!"TM

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great to get the final win especially on the back of the injury list.

Not quite prepared to call it a pass mark for the tour largely because of the debacle that was the Italy / Ireland results / performances.

There will be a review but in the end all of RA needs to step up. It’s going to have to start with the 5 super rugby coaches. Accountability and discipline are the key buzz words for mine (they go hand in hand I guess).

The wallabies coaching team take some of the blame but it’s got to be shared amongst all our coaches. Players just not good enough.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I really like McReight’s work in attack, good link player and knows where to be. But just too small in defence, he concedes easy metres every tackle. He’ll get bigger as he gets older but for now Hoops is locked in.

Also really liked Jed’s work and Hanigan when he came on. Jed deserves first crack at 6 next year.

Congrats to Sammy Talakai. The big boy looked like he loved it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
And let me extend my most insincere condolences to Wales. Fuck ya. After so many shitty losses to you, it’s truly delightful to dish one out back. Love that a failed intercept led to Longeran’s game winning try. Couldn’t be happier.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Great to get the final win especially on the back of the injury list.

Not quite prepared to call it a pass mark for the tour largely because of the debacle that was the Italy / Ireland results / performances.

There will be a review but in the end all of Rugby Australia needs to step up. It’s going to have to start with the 5 super rugby coaches. Accountability and discipline are the key buzz words for mine (they go hand in hand I guess).

The wallabies coaching team take some of the blame but it’s got to be shared amongst all our coaches. Players just not good enough.

The Italy debacle remains sour. Probably always will.

I'd say Rennie has done fine in developing a spread of talent across the squad, a good thing. But neither Aus A nor the teams that fronted Italy/Wales are going to be ideal against the top 5 in the RWC.

Player development at Super leads to at least our conundrum at 2 and 10. Similar the back three though that is actually getting somewhere.

Injuries though, huge issue. And while discipline performance against Wales was actually very pleasing, it has marred the team for far too long.

RA definitely needs to step up.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, I was getting pretty down on this season until I saw our injury/unavailable list and holy shit. The fact that we at no stage were comprehensible beaten by anyone. In fact running both France and Ireland close away having to use so many players just to cover the losses changes my perspective.
I have had similar thoughts. I am keeping an open mind, I was livid after the Italy game but once everything is put into perspective there were some pretty good performances on this tour, and some definite shining lights unearthed. However, I still think Rennie gets too many free rides from the critics that Cheika and Deans never would have been gifted.

Anyway, will do my 3/2/1 then signing out till Super season. Merry Xmas everyone.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting game, tale of two halves(thirds?), Wallabies were falling into there same shit in the first 60min but turned it around in the last 20.

I think it was a game of character for the players to come back like they did, but overall it was a poor performance by the Wallabies and most other test nations would have thrashed the Wallabies and not let them back in the game. Discipline is still an issue, someone like Jake Gordon has given away critical penalties and yellow cards 3 weeks running, tonight’s was subjective but still preventable had he been more disciplined.

It’s certainly not a pass mark for the tour, although it was redeeming for the players and good to see.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just watched the replay ,haven’t read the entire thread, so apologies if I’m rep couple of things stood out.
Very poor defensive reads and realignment out wide and some poor communication and folding in close. Who is responsible for defence? Three relatively soft tries from poor alignment/ disconnection.
Secondly discipline and accountability, Gordon gets another yellow at the 45min mark, should have been sent straight to the showers not to been seen again. The coach needs to set a standard on accountability and act on it, not just talk about it.

Otherwise great to finish with a win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice to get a close from-behind win instead of the other options.

Mark Nawaqanitawase is a fucking superstar. Hope he can keep it up next year as he's the starting winger with Koroibete. Two tries, made the break for another, managed to stick all his risky bullshit offload flick passes. Fuck yes.

Petaia on the other hand... hmm. Shot up and in on defence a couple of times to leave Wales room, rather than trusting his inside man. He's good on attack but those were glaring.

Wright was pretty good tonight in terms of option taking but that dropped ball was a shocker.

Donaldson v Lolesio - I thought they were both good, but not excellent. The former got almost no ball to play with, and did a lot of defending which was fairly solid, as well as being scrum half for 10 minutes. The latter did what he does at the Brumbies: distribute well, make most of his kicks, and let the other guys shine, even if he still plays too deep.

Neither of them were dominant factors in the victory so much as cogs in the machine.

Gordon gets a yellow card a couple of inches beyond the paint. Do better.

Frost, Holloway, and McReight very important to that win for various roles.

Samu started to right the ship when he came on - that was probably the critical phase in the game. He comes on around 50 for Gleeson, and Wales put a try a minute later, before we start to see more ball and apply some pressure.

His presence was then multiplied in value as the halves got switched out and McDermott and Lolesio got some space to operate in.

First scrum penalty had me excited, then we gave away a stack. The fuck?

Anyway we won and I didn't expect it so happy days.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nice to get a close from-behind win instead of the other options.

Mark Nawaqanitawase is a fucking superstar. Hope he can keep it up next year as he's the starting winger with Koroibete. Two tries, made the break for another, managed to stick all his risky bullshit offload flick passes. Fuck yes.

Petaia on the other hand... hmm. Shot up and in on defence a couple of times to leave Wales room, rather than trusting his inside man. He's good on attack but those were glaring.
ha....no mention of Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)'s shite tackle that led to the Wales try? He was epic but to overlook that when calling out Petaia is a little dare I say blue eyed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
ha....no mention of Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)'s shite tackle that led to the Wales try? He was epic but to overlook that when calling out Petaia is a little dare I say blue eyed.

There goes your bias radar set on extreme again.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Some lesser heralded performances for mine:
1. Robertson - got attacked early at the scrum but composed himself and finished out the game very very well. Much more dynamic around the park than he was earlier on his career, great to see that development.
2. Petaia - he is just so safe in the air and without that as well as the attacking pressure on our own kicks we maybe fall under too much pressure. There are other strong players in the air but he is a freak in that respect. He does sometimes try to do too much, especially in defence, but his physicality is something quite unique.
3. Holloway - exactly what we needed from him as the third tall. Gritty with a sprinkling of wily. Hopefully he can keep on the up because he's starting to remind me a bit of Fardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.