• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just further on the No 10s. There was an analysis recently, on the Roar I think, that points to Rennie's game plan being to use forwards, fullback and No 12 as first receiver on attack. I think that was more in evidence while Donaldson was on the ground. Noah seemed to get more touches but mostly out the back off a Frost pass at first receiver.

I think Dave Rennie's most obvious failure has been the way he uses Noah and Ben Donaldson as second receiver or worse having them cut out of backline moves altogether. He must think Quade is the only 10 capable of playing up in the line, much to the detriment of the development of the young 10s.

Or he's following the pattern of nearly every international team who are varying their first receive4 and doing dump plays to pull defences in and let the playmaker put width on the ball.

Really hard to judge Donaldson either way, as he's had a total of about 60 minutes rugby at 10 for Rennie.

Last edited:

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Hopefully the rebels play Kellaway a lot at 15 next year because he might struggle to get back on the wing for the wallabies with Koro and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). Not a bad option for #23 jersey either though
He can also play 13. Against Ireland he was excellent at carefully choosing when to go in for the tackle.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We need to find a backup to Kerevi at 12 (not Paisami) and Cooper at 10. We are hanging our hat on a lot of guys coming back from injury and QC (Quade Cooper) and Kerevi are key with no obvious replacements after 3 years with Rennie. We need to fix our front row and give them enough time together then I'm OK that the locks and the backrow could be good enough.
Don't know if Rennie is capable of taking us deep into the RWC or not.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We need to find a backup to Kerevi at 12 (not Paisami) and Cooper at 10. We are hanging our hat on a lot of guys coming back from injury and QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) and Kerevi are key with no obvious replacements after 3 years with Rennie. We need to fix our front row and give them enough time together then I'm OK that the locks and the backrow could be good enough.
Don't know if Rennie is capable of taking us deep into the RWC or not.

Foketi is a very good alternative to Kerevi.

Depending on what happens next year with overseas eligibility then Simone as an option would be serviceable.

But yeah, at 10 we are screwed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Or he's following the pattern of nearly every international team who are varying their first receive4 and doing dump plays to pull defences in and let the playmaker put width on the ball.

Really hard to judge Donaldson either way, as he's had a total of about 60 minutes rugby at 10 for Rennie.

Nah it's easy to judge him. He's had 60 minutes of test footy and hasn't shown anything yet.

He also had a decent amount of time in Aus A and was solid without being outstanding. I think it's pretty clear where he is at.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Foketi is a very good alternative to Kerevi.

Depending on what happens next year with overseas eligibility then Simone as an option would be serviceable.

But yeah, at 10 we are screwed.
I forgot about Simone, he's a solid 12 about the same as Foketi I'm guessing. The 10 issue has been with us for years and I am amazed that we are less than 12 months away and still have no fixed option(s) to QC (Quade Cooper).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I forgot about Simone, he's a solid 12 about the same as Foketi I'm guessing. The 10 issue has been with us for years and I am amazed that we are less than 12 months away and still have no fixed option(s) to QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper).
Where are they hiding?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Still think our best option is Lolesio if not Quade.

Yeah, he isnt prime Larkham. But, if we are otherwise fielding a strong team with White and Kerevi either side of him hes good enough.

Exactly. I think Lolesio is a solid player in the mould of Foley - distributor with all-round skills; a tradesman if you will. Maybe not quite the pace or experience to attack the line at this point (especially with his depth).

Give him a decent 9 and 12 to play with aka The Ponies, and he does alright.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Still think our best option is Lolesio if not Quade.

Yeah, he isnt prime Larkham. But, if we are otherwise fielding a strong team with White and Kerevi either side of him hes good enough.

I loved what I saw from Edmed this season at the Tahs. Seems to be more assertive than Harris and Donaldson and plays a more mature game, but potentially less exciting than either of them.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Tahs fit all 3 this year.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Exactly. I think Lolesio is a solid player in the mould of Foley - distributor with all-round skills; a tradesman if you will. Maybe not quite the pace or experience to attack the line at this point (especially with his depth).

Give him a decent 9 and 12 to play with aka The Ponies, and he does alright.
Agree with you and Derpus but is that going to be enough to get us into the semi's? I'm not convinced that without QC (Quade Cooper) we will struggle. But I never thought we would get within a point of France or Ireland either.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am still hopeful of another option before RWC. I know you all think it's impossible but I am still going to watch Carter Gordon closely this season to see if my early thoughts about him were correct.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree with you and Derpus but is that going to be enough to get us into the semi's? I'm not convinced that without QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) we will struggle. But I never thought we would get within a point of France or Ireland either.
I think it will - ruck security and discipline are this teams problem. Not playmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.