• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We were pretty lucky to win that game, but we've been unlucky in others (including on this tour), so I'll take it. The boys have consistently shown all season and again last night that they don't lack ticker, just some smarts and discipline. To come away with a win based on the injury toll says a lot of good things about them and the staff. The footy we played in the last 20 minutes was exactly what you want to see.

That said, we have a lot of work to do over the next 10 months to be anywhere close to threatening and we can't have the number of players out we do at the moment.

The bench were immense last night, especially Lonergan, Samu and McDermott. I was interested in seeing how Gleeson and Donaldson went and neither of them set the world alight. That's OK though, because they were thrust into test footy somewhat earlier than they'd otherwise have been. Plenty of potential and development in both. It's probably one RWC cycle too soon for them.

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) on the on the other hand may have just booked himself a flight to Paris next year, assuming that he continues his present trajectory. A worthy MotM performance and just a really energetic game from him. I love wingers who go looking for work and he's one of them. Frost as well, his passport should be stamped already. Great back half of the year from him and we've found ourselves an "athlete" side of the locking partnership. Skelton could well be the rock shifter who joins him next year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Can we leave Samu on the bench, as well. Never has the impact when he starts but injected with 30 to go he invariably brings the goods.

Again. He played very well when he started against NZ this year. It was one of the best attacking performances of the year.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
We were pretty lucky to win that game, but we've been unlucky in others (including on this tour), so I'll take it. The boys have consistently shown all season and again last night that they don't lack ticker, just some smarts and discipline. To come away with a win based on the injury toll says a lot of good things about them and the staff. The footy we played in the last 20 minutes was exactly what you want to see.

That said, we have a lot of work to do over the next 10 months to be anywhere close to threatening and we can't have the number of players out we do at the moment.

The bench were immense last night, especially Lonergan, Samu and McDermott. I was interested in seeing how Gleeson and Donaldson went and neither of them set the world alight. That's OK though, because they were thrust into test footy somewhat earlier than they'd otherwise have been. Plenty of potential and development in both. It's probably one RWC cycle too soon for them.

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on the on the other hand may have just booked himself a flight to Paris next year, assuming that he continues his present trajectory. A worthy MotM performance and just a really energetic game from him. I love wingers who go looking for work and he's one of them. Frost as well, his passport should be stamped already. Great back half of the year from him and we've found ourselves an "athlete" side of the locking partnership. Skelton could well be the rock shifter who joins him next year.

Donaldson impressed with the limited ball he got. BR being BR suggesting Lolesio steered the ship better: to me Donaldson was pretty authoratative at first receiver and drove our attack pretty well. Will be a good contest between them and potentially Edmed as well next year.

More senior players definitely stepped in front of both at key moments though, e.g Hodge to Ikitau when he made a break and set up an opportunity that Holloway* probably butchered and Wright** for the go ahead score at the end.

* played well aside from that
** I heard repeatedly last week he couldnt do this?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It will be interesting to see how the next season pans out. There is no Guarantee Cooper will be fit for WC, we can only hope. Imo in Lolesio, Donaldson and Edmed we have three 10's with potential but not really test 10's yet, but we hope for one of them to take the next step up next season. Then there is Harrison, who doesn't seem to come into many people's calculations, but was in front of all these guys at U20 level and was the Tah's first choice before he was injured. Also, a number of people are talking up Carter Gordon, who I thought had one good game this year and was barely at Super standard for the rest, but if he has the potential many see it is possible to suddenly jump to the required level, as we have seen with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) this year.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Donaldson impressed with the limited ball he got. BR being BR suggesting Lolesio steered the ship better: to me Donaldson was pretty authoratative at first receiver and drove our attack pretty well. Will be a good contest between them and potentially Edmed as well next year.

More senior players definitely stepped in front of both at key moments though, e.g Hodge to Ikitau when he made a break and set up an opportunity that Holloway* probably butchered and Wright** for the go ahead score at the end.

Donaldson was OK and I wasn't having a crack at him, just that he's got a lot of developing still to do. I personally think he'll end up ahead of Noah and considering that he played 10 ahead of Noah in the U20's that's probably not too unexpected.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
McDermott had really good energy and showed more enterprise than Jake Gordon when he (Tate) came off the bench. But he has a couple or three areas he still needs to improve before he can claim to be test match level. Apart from his sometimes wayward passing, he has to improve his box kicking. Not just the accuracy of the kick itself, but in the lead up to taking the kick. Even with the caterpillar ruck formation he is slow to get the ball and get set to kick. He invariably takes up to three or more steps backwards and towards usually the right hand side touchline. Twice he got charged down in this game.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Just further on the No 10s. There was an analysis recently, on the Roar I think, that points to Rennie's game plan being to use forwards, fullback and No 12 as first receiver on attack. I think that was more in evidence while Donaldson was on the ground. Noah seemed to get more touches but mostly out the back off a Frost pass at first receiver.

I think Dave Rennie's most obvious failure has been the way he uses Noah and Ben Donaldson as second receiver or worse having them cut out of backline moves altogether. He must think Quade is the only 10 capable of playing up in the line, much to the detriment of the development of the young 10s.
I did notice Donaldson shift from first receiver on a few occasions to have others take the ball first up. Wonder if it’s a tactic to get the 5/8 front foot ball a bit wider against a shifting defensive line? DR might see older campaigners using their experience to exploit this situation. I could be wrong

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Good end to a very long season, the patched up team showed some real character to win that game albeit against a pretty ordinary side. I know we have had lots of injuries however Rennie’s selections have been puzzling and didn’t help trying to find some continuity. How Gordon keeps getting picked is a complete head scratcher. White is easily no 1, Tate no 2, wide open for a third half back. Hopefully everyone has a good rest for a few months and then we are back into it.
Wide open?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Donaldson did not impress. He was okay. Like you said he had limited time. I don't think he was authorative, it looked like at one point Ikitau was yelling at him telling him what to do.

I love how when a player doesn't mess up, they are instantly impressive, a sign of how low our standards have become.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
McDermott had really good energy and showed more enterprise than Jake Gordon when he (Tate) came off the bench. But he has a couple or three areas he still needs to improve before he can claim to be test match level. Apart from his sometimes wayward passing, he has to improve his box kicking. Not just the accuracy of the kick itself, but in the lead up to taking the kick. Even with the caterpillar ruck formation he is slow to get the ball and get set to kick. He invariably takes up to three or more steps backwards and towards usually the right hand side touchline. Twice he got charged down in this game.

His kicking has gotten a lot better in my opinion. I think it was just a poor game from him and not his usual standard.

Surely he has claimed the number 2 spot after that performance. His running game is consistently good and i think that's more then what Gordon brings, or any other 9 in Aus at the moment.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Donaldson did not impress. He was okay. Like you said he had limited time. I don't think he was authorative, it looked like at one point Ikitau was yelling at him telling him what to do.

I love how when a player doesn't mess up, they are instantly impressive, a sign of how low our standards have become.

As an Edmed fan I had low expectations but he looked pretty composed and brought his runners onto the ball pretty well. That was essentially his debut in a pretty high pressure/hostile environment.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
So who is out of RWC23? Too risky to pick or will lose you a sudden death game because of some brain snap?

For me:

Hodge, Gordon, Robertson, Donaldson, Petaia, FF (Folau Fainga'a), - not up to test standard and put a line through them now! Will lose you games and crucial moments.

O’Connor, Cooper and maybe Foley - too old to play a full tournament or tour. Have failed to win consistently in the past and in 2021/22. Too late for 2023!

On the edge - McReight who needs to work on strength and power, Wright (versatile but…) Lolesio (gone backwards and needs huge 2023), Banks, Porecki.

Firming squad…

Best 15s - Campbell and Kellaway
Best Wings - MK and MW (both by a mile)
13 - Ikitau, Kerevi, Paisami
12 - Simone, Foketi
10 - we need to work out what we want. A kicker or a playmaker and pick and stick. Biggest issue in the team. I still think Noah with confidence and poise and improved D could make it. Playing between best skilled 12 in Simone and White. Edmed and Carter Gordon smokies.
9 - White and McDermott. Daylight next.
8 - Valentini but Gleeson and Harris could emerge as back up
7 - Samu and Hooper with McReight a maybe if improved strength.
6 - Holloway, Wilson, Swinton
Locks - Rodda, Frost, Skelton, Swain
Props - Slipper, AAA, Bell
Hookers - Lonergan, Kaitu’u, Pollard

Who is missing? Who is another young prop that is test standard who is not Tupou?

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
Nah it's easy to judge him. He's had 60 minutes of test footy and hasn't shown anything yet.

He also had a decent amount of time in Aus A and was solid without being outstanding. I think it's pretty clear where he is at.
like play the man not the ball?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Please, slow to organise a caterpillar box kick. FFS is there any other way to do it ? The whole thing shits me yo tears. Talk about steps before you pas or kick, have a look at steps taken away from the defence before passing to those who then become sitting ducks.

Last edited:

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
So who is out of RWC23? Too risky to pick or will lose you a sudden death game because of some brain snap?

For me:

Hodge, Gordon, Robertson, Donaldson, Petaia, FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a), - not up to test standard and put a line through them now! Will lose you games and crucial moments.

O’Connor, Cooper and maybe Foley - too old to play a full tournament or tour. Have failed to win consistently in the past and in 2021/22. Too late for 2023!

On the edge - McReight who needs to work on strength and power, Wright (versatile but…) Lolesio (gone backwards and needs huge 2023), Banks, Porecki.

Firming squad…

Best 15s - Campbell and Kellaway
Best Wings - MK and MW (both by a mile)
13 - Ikitau, Kerevi, Paisami
12 - Simone, Foketi
10 - we need to work out what we want. A kicker or a playmaker and pick and stick. Biggest issue in the team. I still think Noah with confidence and poise and improved D could make it. Playing between best skilled 12 in Simone and White. Edmed and Carter Gordon smokies.
9 - White and McDermott. Daylight next.
8 - Valentini but Gleeson and Harris could emerge as back up
7 - Samu and Hooper with McReight a maybe if improved strength.
6 - Holloway, Wilson, Swinton
Locks - Rodda, Frost, Skelton, Swain
Props - Slipper, AAA, Bell
Hookers - Lonergan, Kaitu’u, Pollard

Who is missing? Who is another young prop that is test standard who is not Tupou?
You can’t write off Quade
Poreki still worth persisting with
Kerevi is a 12
Hopefully Leota will come back strong, liked him at 6
Pone as well
And Philip still pretty reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.