• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know I'm a Rebels fan but isn't Philip's strength his running game? He's pretty consistent and bending the line and making half breaks. Moreso than Neville and Swain.
Not really in the tight he doesn’t, he runs a bit wider and goes well there which is fine, but you need to balance that out with big bodies elsewhere in the forwards pack to get over the gain line in tight.

reverse is true in defence also, workhorse in tackling, but isn’t going to make big dominant tackles compared to the bigger locks out there

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
we’ve hardly locked down the locking position, why wouldn’t we consider Rodda?

Neville is a journeyman, not a world beater. He is competing with Phillip for a position.

Swain is yet to prove he isn’t a liability

Phillip is a workhorse, but wont get over the gain line and needs to be balanced with some big bodies.

Frost I really like, 2023 RWC might be soon for him to be starting but should be in the squad.

Skelton I’ve come around on and think he has to be in the RWC squad.

Arnold didn’t impress me during his recent wallaby outings and has lost out to Skelton IMO
Do you think there are any roughies out there? Maybe Luke Jones.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Do you think there are any roughies out there? Maybe Luke Jones.
Luke Jones maybe, but he is competing for the same spot as Neville and Phillip I’d think. I think only one of those 3 would make the RWC squad assuming full fitness of players.

Also depends whether Rennie wants a blindside flanker who can play lock, or a lock who can play blindside in the RWC squad. Because that changes the debate to guys like Leota/Jones/Phillip/Holloway.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Luke Jones maybe, but he is competing for the same spot as Neville and Phillip I’d think. I think only one of those 3 would make the RWC squad assuming full fitness of players.

Also depends whether Rennie wants a blindside flanker who can play lock, or a lock who can play blindside in the RWC squad. Because that changes the debate to guys like Leota/Jones/Phillip/Holloway.
I really liked how Leota was going over the last 18 months. Rennie must like Holloway and tbf he got better throughout the Wallabies season and being available/fit no doubt was a big help.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Jones is a long shot. He's pretty similar in size to Holloway and Hanigan and I think he'll have a tough time pushing ahead of them. Hanigan probably doesn't make the RWC squad so Jones would have to leapfrog a few.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely Jones is a long shot. He's pretty similar in size to Holloway and Hanigan and I think he'll have a tough time pushing ahead of them. Hanigan probably doesn't make the RWC squad so Jones would have to leapfrog a few.
Agreed. Jones has no chance, he has had so many times to impress and he never has. Wilson can't crack the squad and Jones isn't even good enough to clean Harry's boots.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From the Reds, if they have a solid year (big if) then possibly Uru is a dark horse for lock/6 in the mould of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hanigan, Holloway.

Holloway with the clear running given his flexibility in calling and ability to tame some of the problems in selection when Skelton is on board.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think Leota might struggle to retain his starting spot as Holloway has improved on this tour, and he's done well running the lineout...
I think Leota offers more with the ball in hand than Holloway. I thought during the European tour, the back three of Holloway and Hooper meant Bobby V was doing all the ball running which made it way too predictable.

Holloway had some good runs, but needs to be doing more (maybe I missed his contributions though?)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Leota offers more with the ball in hand than Holloway. I thought during the European tour, the back three of Holloway and Hooper meant Bobby V was doing all the ball running which made it way too predictable.

Holloway had some good runs, but needs to be doing more (maybe I missed his contributions though?)

Holloway is the only 6/lock I am aware of with proven line out calling in the Wallabies. For me it matches him to Skelton as a minimum.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know I'm a Rebels fan but isn't Philip's strength his running game? He's pretty consistent and bending the line and making half breaks. Moreso than Neville and Swain.
DC: It's a tough call on locks as opposed to almost all other positions in the Wallabies.
Philip is an excellent worker and I believe he could complement Skelton if his lineout work was better. That really leaves us with Frost and Skelton as 1 and 2 and anyone's guess for 3rd.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Why on earth would LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) be ahead of Rodda or Arnold.
Not saying he would be ahead of Rodda or Arnold but it's worth taking a look at the form he's in for Northampton. He's easily been a top 3 Lock in the Premiership this season.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Re the locks...at his best I think Swain has the highest upside, but I share others' reservations about whether he's going to be a laiblity at a world cup.

If I had to choose a squad tomorrow I'd probably go with Neville, Frost, Swain as my first three choices. For me the fourth spot probably goes to Skelton if RA say he's eligible to play, but if not which ever of Rodda or Philips has a better Super Rugby season next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.