• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
It seems like we are having continual problems with positions 10, 12, 13 and 15. (I will leave the wings out as we need to fix the problems further in first).

I am far from qualified to be an expert on backline play, but is there any merit in trying Giteau at fullback? He has the kicking, running and defensive games for it. He can inject himself whereever he likes and would have more room to move. Only real problem I could see if that his lack of height my make him susceptible to the high ball.

This would free up AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to move back to 13 (his best position), Ioane back to the wing (if fit otherwise stick with Mitchell/Hynes). Cooper could move into 10 (again his best position) and we can try JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 (which is his best position as well). Suddenly you have 3 players playing in their best position and only one (Giteau) playing out of possie.

Oh and the VC should be removed from next to Giteau's name.

S

Spook

Gits is still our best option at 10 until Barnes stops breaking. I would play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 though. Move Mitchell to 15. Hopefully Ioane is fit to play wing.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Spook said:
Gits is still our best option at 10 until Barnes stops breaking. I would play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 though. Move Mitchell to 15. Hopefully Ioane is fit to play wing.

JOC (James O'Connor) is not the short term answer. He needs more time. Cooper is our best option at 10 with Gits at 12.

S

Spook

HG said:
Spook said:

JOC (James O'Connor) is not the short term answer. He needs more time. Cooper is our best option at 10 with Gits at 12.

We just tried that and it failed. Ignore the numbers on the back.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
aussie1st said:
A massive punt would be to throw Toomara into 10 and Giteau 12.

As good as To'omua might turn out to be, he is only 19 and has not proven himself whatsoever. Another season in the Super14 and this might have changed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 would work, It his best position. He's screwed up at fullback but thats mainly because.. well he's not a fullback!... i've never been a JOC (James O'Connor) fan n i've always back QC (Quade Cooper). But after the scotland match where QC (Quade Cooper) fucked up everything n JOCs single touch nearly won us the game, JOC (James O'Connor) deserves a start in his best position at 12.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Digby is out, a Gits, JOC (James O'Connor) & Cross "Western Force" troupe makes some sense.

If Digby is in, Cooper at 12 as they have some combination

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
fatprop said:
If Digby is out, a Gits, JOC (James O'Connor) & Cross "Western Force" troupe makes some sense.

Or If they brought Valentine it could be
9. Valentine
10. Gits
11. Mitchell
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Cross

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Henry said:
fatprop said:

Or If they brought Valentine it could be
9. Valentine
10. Gits
11. Mitchell
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Cross

Is Genia injured? If not, you are out of your mind.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
we've got to get over Cardiff first. And it would seem there may have to be some double ups considering the injuries.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Spook said:
HG said:
Spook said:

We just tried that and it failed. Ignore the numbers on the back.

Not true, Gits played at 10 most of the game this week. The backs looked better last week when Cooper played more at 10 and even better when we played the Poms when he played most of the game at 10.
Giteau is not a 10. JOC (James O'Connor) can't tackle end of story. What you criticise Cooper for lacking in defence JOC (James O'Connor) is far worst.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
JOC (James O'Connor) shouldnt start till he plays a season of super 14 without gits inside him. he is a gap runner, there are no gaps in international rugby so therefore he isnt effective and shouldnt be out there.

i agree bring AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) into the line, even though he is our best 15 at the moment, bring him to 13, coops to 10 with gits at 12, not ignoring numbers actually put those numbers on there backs and tell them to play there. Ioane and Hynes on the wings and through turner the fullback jersey, just tell him to run, he will be fine.

finally, we have one game left (not includint he mid week game!) lets just play, forget percentage or tape crap, just learn what the f your players are capable of and then tell them to play to there strengths, if wales outplay us its one thing, but if we spend another game more worried about our opposition than our own game plan thats going to happen anyway, lets go out and try some schoolboy shit and have some fun, if it comes off, there is a chance a couple of players might smile and it might become infectious and maybe just maybe the playing group as a hole will look like they want to be out there for the first time this year against decent opposition!

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
waratahjesus said:
JOC (James O'Connor) shouldnt start till he plays a season of super 14 without gits inside him. he is a gap runner, there are no gaps in international rugby so therefore he isnt effective and shouldnt be out there.

i agree bring AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) into the line, even though he is our best 15 at the moment, bring him to 13, coops to 10 with gits at 12, not ignoring numbers actually put those numbers on there backs and tell them to play there. Ioane and Hynes on the wings and through turner the fullback jersey, just tell him to run, he will be fine.

finally, we have one game left (not includint he mid week game!) lets just play, forget percentage or tape crap, just learn what the f your players are capable of and then tell them to play to there strengths, if wales outplay us its one thing, but if we spend another game more worried about our opposition than our own game plan thats going to happen anyway, lets go out and try some schoolboy shit and have some fun, if it comes off, there is a chance a couple of players might smile and it might become infectious and maybe just maybe the playing group as a hole will look like they want to be out there for the first time this year against decent opposition!

I don't find myself agreeing with a Tahs supporter that much. However in this case he has got it just about right.
They need to have some fun and trying playing what's in front of them and forget about what their opponents are doing.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Seb V said:
I think JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 would work, It his best position. He's screwed up at fullback but thats mainly because.. well he's not a fullback!... i've never been a JOC (James O'Connor) fan n i've always back QC (Quade Cooper). But after the scotland match where QC (Quade Cooper) fucked up everything n JOCs single touch nearly won us the game, JOC (James O'Connor) deserves a start in his best position at 12.

Do we really want JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 up against Jamie Roberts ? Roberts has No8 size (6'4", 108kgs), is a powerhouse runner, and has been as good as any centre in the game this year. Not the best match up.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
waratahjesus said:

Agree, especially for the bolded bit.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
naza said:
Seb V said:

Do we really want JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 up against Jamie Roberts ? Roberts has No8 size (6'4", 108kgs), is a powerhouse runner, and has been as good as any centre in the game this year. Not the best match up.

Cooper is a worse defender than JOC (James O'Connor). By a long way.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Scotty said:
naza said:
Seb V said:

i think JOC (James O'Connor) has proven at international level he makes cooper look good, at least cooper trys, JOC (James O'Connor) in recent outings has seemed to not even get close when he could easily put a hit on!

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Scotty said:
naza said:
Seb V said:

Rubbish! Cooper's defence in the past has been lame. Of late this is one aspect of his game that has improved a lot.
Look at his games of late. Then look at JOC (James O'Connor)'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.