• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Scotty said:
naza said:
Seb V said:
I think JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 would work, It his best position. He's screwed up at fullback but thats mainly because.. well he's not a fullback!... i've never been a JOC (James O'Connor) fan n i've always back QC (Quade Cooper). But after the scotland match where QC (Quade Cooper) fucked up everything n JOCs single touch nearly won us the game, JOC (James O'Connor) deserves a start in his best position at 12.

Do we really want JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 up against Jamie Roberts ? Roberts has No8 size (6'4", 108kgs), is a powerhouse runner, and has been as good as any centre in the game this year. Not the best match up.

Cooper is a worse defender than JOC (James O'Connor). By a long way.

Absolutely. JOC (James O'Connor) is a very effective bootlaces tackler in the Giteau mode. He closed down Nonu very effectively in the S14 when Nonu was runing straight at him.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
once again, we aint talking super 14, JOC (James O'Connor) has been alright there, but his step up against the better opposition has been terrible, he doesnt deserve on any form he has shown to be closer to the action than the bench, even the bench seems out of reach for him if we had anyone even near decent to take his place!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Cooper put in some fairly decent tackles v the Scots.

And almost put a butterflies breath of force onto a few rucks. He might have put on a few good tackles, and might be getting better, but his tackling is very inconsistent.

Who would you choose our of the two to tackle for your life?

(I'm not proposing JOC (James O'Connor) to start by the way, just pointing out Coopers big weakness.)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
waratahjesus said:
once again, we aint talking super 14, JOC (James O'Connor) has been alright there, but his step up against the better opposition has been terrible, he doesnt deserve on any form he has shown to be closer to the action than the bench, even the bench seems out of reach for him if we had anyone even near decent to take his place!

The bigger difference is that JOC (James O'Connor) has been forced to play out of position at fullback.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
waratahjesus said:

waratahjesus, would your opinion of Pocock and JOC (James O'Connor) be any different if they were Waratah players?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Groucho said:
waratahjesus said:

waratahjesus, would your opinion of Pocock and JOC (James O'Connor) be any different if they were Waratah players?

no, in pococks case, i think he still makes alot of bad reads and hogs positions in defence that front rowers and less mobile players should be in, i support smith (a brumbies player) over him.

JOC (James O'Connor) is overrated surprime, the fact he is on so much money so early and hasnt really achieved anything personnally just worries me about the next generation. he wouldnt have stayed for money he was actually worth. his reputation is built running off of giteaus hip at super 14 level and by a couple of trys against 3rd rate nations were he recieved a couple of them as last pass fall over. problem is, when we step up to better nations and teams, he doesnt get that space and becomes a passenger, his defence against the all blacks was laughable there were a couple of occasions he just decided to avoid the contact and at international level its unnacceptable.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Plenty of talk about the backs (and i'll get to them) but I think some of the fatties need a rocket. Horwill falls in and out of games, and sometimes you wonder whether Chis is actually on the field, and thats not because he's buried in the tight. They lack steel and either need to be dropped to send a message. It's a shame Kimlin is available as he at least has the consistent workrate.

Now for the backs, firstly Cooper's defence has improved significantly IMO. He is a natural 10 thaat wants the ball in his hands to create something. Giteau is a natural midfielder that wants to back himself to beat the opposition. When both are not playing their natural games they are fairly ordinary IMO and look more like club sloggers than test internationals.

The concern with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that regardless of what happens to changing personnel, there will always be a spot for him be it 12,13,15 or wing. His jersey is not under any threat whatsoever. Sure he has shown good form, but all players need to be pushed and driven internally. I'm not sold on him at 13 just yet, but that is the most difficult backline position so it does take time. FB for now, especially while there is no Shep or Gerrard options. Both of these guys play the game like old heads despite their inadequacies.

Cross is a league centre and a rugby winger iMO. He has shown that he is fairly effective using his good turn of speed and size out wider. He only shows glimpses of good centre play ie passing both ways, and running the right lines. Too in and out of games for my liking.

Hynes, Mitchell, Turner does it make much difference. Although I do think even Turner needs more time at super level.

And Robbie give Kingi a run aye bro... :)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
waratahjesus said:
Scotty said:
naza said:
Seb V said:
I think JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 would work, It his best position. He's screwed up at fullback but thats mainly because.. well he's not a fullback!... i've never been a JOC (James O'Connor) fan n i've always back QC (Quade Cooper). But after the scotland match where QC (Quade Cooper) fucked up everything n JOCs single touch nearly won us the game, JOC (James O'Connor) deserves a start in his best position at 12.

Do we really want JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 up against Jamie Roberts ? Roberts has No8 size (6'4", 108kgs), is a powerhouse runner, and has been as good as any centre in the game this year. Not the best match up.

Cooper is a worse defender than JOC (James O'Connor). By a long way.

i think JOC (James O'Connor) has proven at international level he makes cooper look good, at least cooper trys, JOC (James O'Connor) in recent outings has seemed to not even get close when he could easily put a hit on!

yeh probably wasnt the greatest idea throwing JOC (James O'Connor) in there, but in my defence we had just been beaten by SCOTLAND when i posted that, i was desperate LOL.... waratahsjesus made a good point about JOC (James O'Connor) being a gap runner, n i dont think wales will have too many gaps in their defence. Wheres berrick when u need him... oh yeh injured like usual :(

S

Spook

Good news. Palu will be fit to play as will Ioane (touch wood!).

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Spook said:

that surprises me to be honest. maybe they were just being cautious on the field. but grateful to have them both back!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Wales: 15 James Hook, 14 Leigh Halfpenny, 13 Jamie Roberts, 12 Jonathan Davies, 11 Shane Williams, 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Dwayne Peel, 8 Ryan Jones (captain), 7 Martyn Williams, 6 Andy Powell, 5 Luke Charteris, 4 Alun-Wyn Jones, 3 Paul James, 3 Matthew Rees, 1 Gethin Jenkins
Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Jonathan Thomas, 19 Dan Lydiate, 20 Martin Roberts, 21 Andrew Bishop, 22 Tom James

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Newb said:
Spook said:

that surprises me to be honest. maybe they were just being cautious on the field. but grateful to have them both back!

Neck injuries always send up red flags. Best to be safe as you have no idea what the extent of the injury is. To me it looked like he got folded sideways from the neck up, so he was probably a bit numb.

JOC (James O'Connor) at centre - shit we'll have a tough enough time there as it is with that big bastard Roberts running at us. Whoever is playing openside will have their work cut out, and if QC (Quade Cooper) is put there I guarantee at least one penalty due to shoulder charge.

Having watched a bit of the Welsh backline against the ABs - jeez their hands are slick. I wish our backs had half their confidence and passing skills. We're going to be on the ropes for this one and I'm pretty sure if we don't have the self-belief to beat a bunch of stout Scottish chaps we're fooked against the Welsh. They've got a decent lineout, good scrum, and their backs can actually play attacking rugby from what is a good platform.

B

BillyWebb

Please, please, pleeeeaaase... Do not lose to the Welsh!
I'll be cheering you guys on... (will just make sure I draw the curtains).

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Wales: 15 James Hook, 14 Leigh Halfpenny, 13 Jamie Roberts, 12 Jonathan Davies, 11 Shane Williams, 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Dwayne Peel, 8 Ryan Jones (captain), 7 Martyn Williams, 6 Andy Powell, 5 Luke Charteris, 4 Alun-Wyn Jones, 3 Paul James, 3 Matthew Rees, 1 Gethin Jenkins
Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Jonathan Thomas, 19 Dan Lydiate, 20 Martin Roberts, 21 Andrew Bishop, 22 Tom James

It Mongo! Mongo STRONG!!!!

Mongo also laziest man in creation at breakdown, but Mongo STRONG! Mongo not like work, Mongo RUN!!!!

They're also bringing in Peel to try and get their backline moving, which it hasn't been.

Do me a favour, and smash the buggery out of them. Gwlad would be the best entertainment imaginable if you do; they'll be out in force for the ritual Burning of the CoachWitches that occurs the year after every Lions tour. :D

S

Spook

Thomond78 said:
It Mongo! Mongo STRONG!!!!

Mongo also laziest man in creation at breakdown, but Mongo STRONG! Mongo not like work, Mongo RUN!!!!

Jaysus, I actually agree with you on something. I like to call him Mr Isolation.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The bois on Gwlad christened him Mongo, as in "Mongo only pawn in game of life". And once you've seen him talk, it fits to a tee. :lmao:

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely Cooper has to start at 10, with the 10 jersey on, with Giteau playing outside him, with the 12 jersey on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Ive always been a Gits Fan and even a QC (Quade Cooper) fan dispite all his fuck ups. I think they will both start which is good, but if they dont perform AGAIN! im discarding them. Berrick barnes n To'omua all the way.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll be camping out west somewhere when the game is on. For which I shall be truly thankful.

Status
Not open for further replies.