• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs All Blacks 10th August @Optus Stadium Perth

B

Bobby Sands

I do have some criticism of Kerevi - he needs to get rid of the Folau like ball hogging at times.... killed what should have been a try in the first half when we were against XV.

100% true. Should not be glossed over. He is so close to be a truly mythical centre, but needs to be better at this.

HE actually had three passing errors in the first half.

1. Offload went to ground with Hodge unmarked.
2. Didn't pass to Hodge with overlap.
3. Passed too far in front of Hodge with overlap.

Otherwise was EXTREMELY good. So sad that QLD loses him at the apex of his powers.

Reactions: TSR

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If only we had Sean McMahon back too.

Otherwise - how about JOCs interview after the game? He seemed incredibly at peace. He almost sounded like a Christian youth worker.

You’d assume he just came off smoking a joint or 80 minutes of meditation, not a frantic test match.

It was bewildering but also semi inspiring. I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.

Breakaway22

Bob McCowan (2)
If only we had Sean McMahon back too.

Otherwise - how about JOCs interview after the game? He seemed incredibly at peace. He almost sounded like a Christian youth worker.

You’d assume he just came off smoking a joint or 80 minutes of meditation, not a frantic test match.

It was bewildering but also semi inspiring. I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.

Absolutely. The blokes one of those super peaceful meditation type people. No judging though, all power to him if it's keeping him out of trouble.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Absolutely. The blokes one of those super peaceful meditation type people. No judging though, all power to him if it's keeping him out of trouble.

Absolutely. I told my old man during the game and his response was “well at least it seems to be working”.

Kerevi said in an interview he asked if JOC (James O'Connor) wanted to go into the city with him after the game and JOC (James O'Connor) replied that he was going home to stretch.

Love it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was a great start for JOC (James O'Connor). He surely brings something else and with the two Ks and Petaia offer many good midfield options.

I look forward to seeing him with a little more space

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just watched the game in full, having only seen snippets last night.
I struggle to recall such a complete team effort from the Wallabies. Everyone played well, some played exceptionally well. Worked hard, made gain lines, hit hard in defence and kept it going.
Few mentions (and not necessarily the best players but ones that made me open my eyes a bit):-
Rodda - just does a lot of dog work. Real value.
Latu - showed his high level of skill and grunt with good discipline.
Slipper - some great defensive work when he came on
Coleman - someone lit the blue touch-paper and stood well clear
O'Connor - what a talented footballer and what a shame we haven't seen more of him in gold, but not getting into whose fault that was! Very solid defensive effort, and just making good decisions.
Lineout - underrated fellow, but so nice when you realise you're not watching thinking "Oh, fuck, where's this going?"

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I watched the replay today and it really was an excellent performance across the park. I saw a mention of the "tight-loose" being more running off the half back than pods and the Wallabies really do look a lot better team when they have bodies in motion. The defence was excellent too, with plenty of dominant tackles. It was tough but disciplined and that was one of the more pleasing parts. The set piece was very solid and gave the backs plenty of good ball all night.

The challenge now is to do to Eden Park and play like that. Just play that sort of footy and the result will take care of itself. The All Blacks will be considerably better next week, but this is like '91 for me: a stellar performance requires a hard fought arm wrestle to follow it, which should generate some self-belief.

I'd also not be tinkering with the team too much. Cheika has arrived at 80-90% of his preferred side, time to solidify that and move forward.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I watched the replay today and it really was an excellent performance across the park. I saw a mention of the "tight-loose" being more running off the half back than pods and the Wallabies really do look a lot better team when they have bodies in motion. The defence was excellent too, with plenty of dominant tackles. It was tough but disciplined and that was one of the more pleasing parts. The set piece was very solid and gave the backs plenty of good ball all night.

The challenge now is to do to Eden Park and play like that. Just play that sort of footy and the result will take care of itself. The All Blacks will be considerably better next week, but this is like '91 for me: a stellar performance requires a hard fought arm wrestle to follow it, which should generate some self-belief.

I'd also not be tinkering with the team too much. Cheika has arrived at 80-90% of his preferred side, time to solidify that and move forward.
Only changes ought be to the bench, and i still want to see another person given a go at 6. I don't think that's going to happen at this point though.

Breakaway22

Bob McCowan (2)
The only changes I would be making to the 23 would be Pocock in for Jones at 20 and Possibly Petaia in for Banks at 23. Although I have a feeling it will only be Pocock coming in, something i'm not too fussed about because it would be a mammoth task to debut in a bledisloe decider.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The only changes I would be making to the 23 would be Pocock in for Jones at 20 and Possibly Petaia in for Banks at 23. Although I have a feeling it will only be Pocock coming in, something i'm not too fussed about because it would be a mammoth task to debut in a bledisloe decider.
I dunno, i thought it was asking a lot of JOC (James O'Connor) to start at 13 against the ABs and that went well.

I think if he's fit enough and they've brought him into the squad hes a real chance. Banks hasn't really taken his chances very convincingly.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wish Jones got more than a few minutes.
Amazing that our back three were so dominant against their opposition.
I think Read and Coles were the only AB players better than their opposition

Tex

John Thornett (49)
The build up to White's try at 48.00 min is so good. Lilo makes metres, Latu flattens Cane, Kerevi applies a Tongan sidestep on Bogan then White scoots over and gives it the massive pump.

My youth was built on a diet of VHS recordings of famous Wallaby wins. Add 2019 Perth to the list chaps. What a ripper.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dunno, i thought it was asking a lot of JOC (James O'Connor) to start at 13 against the ABs and that went well.

I think if he's fit enough and they've brought him into the squad hes a real chance. Banks hasn't really taken his chances very convincingly.
Petaia is absolutely up to it. Having Pocock on the bench would be mammoth. Imagine bringing him on with 20 to go in a tight one?
Coming home strong is becoming paramount.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Petaia is absolutely up to it. Having Pocock on the bench would be mammoth. Imagine bringing him on with 20 to go in a tight one?
Coming home strong is becoming paramount.

Agree re Pocock, save Petaia for next cycle I reckon, although if this forum existed in 1991 we probably would have said the same thing about Horan, Little and Eales. Contrary to the opinion of many others here I think the coaches are better placed to make that decision than any of us, and I will place my faith in them.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I've got a prediction I want to test.

A coupe of times (in the distant past) when NZ were down against us on the back of some great running rugby, and NZ 'had' to win the following week, they changed and played a very different game-plan, kicking heaps for territory into touch, and basically pinning us down in our own 22. And we just couldn't get into the game. I've sometimes wondered if it was a bit of a blue-print to beat the Wallabies whenever this sort of situation arose. Anyway, my prediction is that B. Barret will play no. 10, and utilise this strategy.

I just wanted to put this somewhere so that I'm on record as having said it - just for fun.